What's new

Long Rifle Soap Co Shave Soap - Brown Bess!!!

Typically, the only thing I use after shaving is a cool water rinse and a splash of Dickenson's witch hazel. I do not consider witch hazel to be an aftershave, but many aftershaves do include witch hazel as a primary component. If you consider witch hazel as an aftershave, then I would use one.
So the answer technically would be yes you do... Witch hazel is a post shave product in general and people that don't like alcohol in an aftershave use it instead and the main uses for it are to fight off inflammation or irritation, removing oils and impurities, and hydrating your skin. So if your using that why push all these high end soaps to everyone if your using something that basically does what you claim the soaps do? Why not just suggest everyone to use which hazel?

eta... The aftershaves I use from Rod have witch hazel in them so maybe that is what really makes my skin feel great for the majority of the day!!

Typically, the only thing I use after shaving is a cool water rinse and a splash of Dickenson's witch hazel. I do not consider witch hazel to be an aftershave, but many aftershaves do include witch hazel as a primary component. If you consider witch hazel as an aftershave, then I would use one.

I have a few aftershaves, colognes, and balms in my den, but I rarely use them. I might use an aftershave or cologne on a special occasion when I want to have a noticeable scent, but those occasions are few and far between.

There are two occasions in which I use an aftershave balm. One is when the temperatures are cold and dry. I did apply some balm before going out last night as the temperature was expected to dip down to 10 degrees. It had been 10 hours since I had shave; the effect of the shave soap that I had experienced earlier in the day had started to wear off.

The only other time I use a balm is when I am evaluating a shave soap that leaves my face feeling tight and dry (Arko is one such example). Although my skin is sensitive and my face is not oily, with most of my soaps, I have no need to use anything other than the witch hazel. I have specifically stocked my den with high quality soaps that have no need for an aftershave, splash or serum.

Several of the artisan soapmakers are trying to include some of the same ingredients in their soaps that are found in aftershaves, balms, and expensive serums to provide a great post-shave feel without the need of using an additional product. Those are the soaps I prefer.

One of the current stars of my den is Zingari Man Sego. It will keep my face feeling great for 24 hours after the shave with no need for an aftershave product. Some others that rival Sego for post-shave feel are: Ariana and Evans "The Club", Barrister and Mann Excelsior, Declaration Grooming Milksteak, Grooming Department Nai, Murphy and McNeil Kodiak, Talbot Shaving and Wholly Kaw Siero. I have evaluated all of these soaps and find that I have no need for an aftershave splash, balm or serum and my face is left feeling great for many hours.

I cannot provide details, but I am aware of other formulas in development that will be as good or better than the ones listed. It is a great time to be wet shaving.
I have an old man's dry skin (probably because of my age), and I find that my post shave feel is improved by using a moisturizer, regardless of the soap I use. The moisturizer does not have to be particularly expensive, however. My current favorite is Woody's Shave Relief Balm, which I picked up at T.J. Maxx for $5 or $6 for a 6 oz. tube. A bit thicker and less expensive is Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion. It can feel a bit greasy for the first 10 or 15 minutes, but after that it gets absorbed and leaves my face pleasantly moisturized.

Of course, if you don't need as much post shave moisturization as I do, maybe looking for those soaps that provide the best post shave feel will work for you.

I have an old man's dry skin (probably because of my age), and I find that my post shave feel is improved by using a moisturizer, regardless of the soap I use. The moisturizer does not have to be particularly expensive, however. My current favorite is Woody's Shave Relief Balm, which I picked up at T.J. Maxx for $5 or $6 for a 6 oz. tube. A bit thicker and less expensive is Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion. It can feel a bit greasy for the first 10 or 15 minutes, but after that it gets absorbed and leaves my face pleasantly moisturized.

Of course, if you don't need as much post shave moisturization as I do, maybe looking for those soaps that provide the best post shave feel will work for you.

I will turn 70 years of age later this year. I also have Rosacea, so my skin does need moisturizing and conditioning. However, as long as I use a top tier soap, I do not need an added moisturizer. I shaved about 4:00 pm yesterday afternoon using Declaration Grooming Milksteak, one (but not the only one) of the best soaps currently available. Sixteen hours later, I can still feel the soap moisturizing my face. It was ten degrees outside this morning, so the air in the house is rather dry, but I still do not need to apply a moisturizer. If I were to use a lesser quality soap, with such low temperatures, I would have needed to use a moisturizer.

I will turn 70 years of age later this year. I also have Rosacea, so my skin does need moisturizing and conditioning. However, as long as I use a top tier soap, I do not need an added moisturizer. I shaved about 4:00 pm yesterday afternoon using Declaration Grooming Milksteak, one (but not the only one) of the best soaps currently available. Sixteen hours later, I can still feel the soap moisturizing my face. It was ten degrees outside this morning, so the air in the house is rather dry, but I still do not need to apply a moisturizer. If I were to use a lesser quality soap, with such low temperatures, I would have needed to use a moisturizer.
Just another case of YMMV, I believe. My old man's skin (I'm one year younger than you) needs all the moisture it can get. Of the soaps I've used Institut Karite leaves my skin most moisturized, but I still need to use a post shave moisturizer.

Just another case of YMMV, I believe. My old man's skin (I'm one year younger than you) needs all the moisture it can get. Of the soaps I've used Institut Karite leaves my skin most moisturized, but I still need to use a post shave moisturizer.

I have not used Institut Karite, so I am unable to comment on its performance, including post-shave performance. But in looking at the ingredient list, it appears that it is relying heavily on Shea butter as the skin conditioning ingredient. While Shea butter is an excellent fat to include in soaps, without the addition of other skin conditioning ingredients, I am not surprised that you still need another post-shave moisturizer.

The soaps I recommend as having superb post-shave feel all contain numerous moisturizers and conditioners, along with Shea Butter. Because Institute Karite shave soap does not contain these added ingredients, you have to use another post-shave product to supply them. If that works for you, that is fine by me.

I have not used Institut Karite, so I am unable to comment on its performance, including post-shave performance. But in looking at the ingredient list, it appears that it is relying heavily on Shea butter as the skin conditioning ingredient. While Shea butter is an excellent fat to include in soaps, without the addition of other skin conditioning ingredients, I am not surprised that you still need another post-shave moisturizer.

The soaps I recommend as having superb post-shave feel all contain numerous moisturizers and conditioners, along with Shea Butter. Because Institute Karite shave soap does not contain these added ingredients, you have to use another post-shave product to supply them. If that works for you, that is fine by me.
I have used other soaps that are considered highly moisturizing with a variety of ingredients; I just find that Institut Karite provides the most moisturizing for me. Ariana & Evans, Lisa's Natural, Mitchell's Wool Fat. Cold River Soap Works and Wholly Kaw (to name a few) all provide ample skin conditioning, but for me the best in that regard is Institut Karite.

I think you will likely be quite pleased! This lather was made from their Bay Rhum shave soap, and it was separated by about a year from date of initial purchase. This lather and its performance solidifies in my mind that this is a top tier soap!

Vr

Matt

F16905AA-D23E-4D21-BDD4-5757B65BA119.jpeg

You know...I have thought about giving Noble Otter a shot. Perhaps I need to re-examine this! Thanks for the recommendation!

vr

Matt

This was today’s shave! SUPERB!!!

ABEB1A97-8111-4D4B-ADA4-00C63E2B0207.jpeg

From my experience, Long Rifle is a wonderful soap. Because of the small containers, I tend to bowl lather and dip a small amount out. I use a Timeless plastic bowl and a synthetic or badger brush. The lather is very, very, good indeed. It is stable, very slick, and very protective. It is one of my very favorite soaps for shaving performance. Post shave is very good. I don't think it is quite GD or T&S good, but very good none the less. It is a soap I reach for if I had a rough shave the day before because the lather is so protective. It works very well with my coarse whiskers and very sharp blades. My LR favorites have been Hunting Lodge and Bay Rhum. I look forward to trying Brown Bess. I only have about 50 shaves in so far but everyone has been a top tier shaving experience. Also for the economy minded shaver, my cost per shave with LR is about half of the average cost per shave of GD, WK, T&S, or A&E, a few of my other favorites.

From my experience, Long Rifle is a wonderful soap. Because of the small containers, I tend to bowl lather and dip a small amount out. I use a Timeless plastic bowl and a synthetic or badger brush. The lather is very, very, good indeed. It is stable, very slick, and very protective. It is one of my very favorite soaps for shaving performance. Post shave is very good. I don't think it is quite GD or T&S good, but very good none the less. It is a soap I reach for if I had a rough shave the day before because the lather is so protective. It works very well with my coarse whiskers and very sharp blades. My LR favorites have been Hunting Lodge and Bay Rhum. I look forward to trying Brown Bess. I only have about 50 shaves in so far but everyone has been a top tier shaving experience. Also for the economy minded shaver, my cost per shave with LR is about half of the average cost per shave of GD, WK, T&S, or A&E, a few of my other favorites.

Oh...yes...I really really like Brown Bess, and suspect you will as well!

LR for me is in my top 3 favorite soaps, along with Martin De Candre and Eufros.

Vr

matt

Man...tough to beat Long Rifle Bay Rhum...this shave was superb! This soap, is without a doubt the creamiest that I have had the pleasure of using! It has a pretty clean ingredients list, and I wonder if it is just heavy on organic beef tallow?

Love it!

Vr

Matt
301D406F-EB02-439F-9520-DADA83F4BD14.jpeg
39BE9B97-B97D-4760-A43B-96398B702255.jpeg
685D08F1-65DC-4D9D-A40F-C2EB148D5BB4.jpeg

Just stumbled on this this thread after looking into their aftershaves. Any experience with LR aftershaves? Looks like after reading these posts, I might have to add this soap to my den!

Top Bottom