What's new

Long Rifle Soap Co Shave Soap - Brown Bess!!!

Gents,

I have used this soap five times now. I used my new lathering technique today on its 5th go, and for me this soap is SUPERB!

This soap is absolutely elite, and certainly has a place in my all time top five list of shave soaps. It hits on all cylinders!!! During the lathering process it took 3 tsp of distilled water.

The fragrance is of cherry pipe tobacco with a hint of leather, and it is wonderful.

The performance, in my experience, is top notch with wonderful initial/residual slickness, and this is one of the creamiest soaps I have ever used.

At $15 shipped to your door for three ounces it is pretty tough to beat!

Here is the ingredient list: water, locally-sourced organic tallow, coconut oil, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, aloe vera, unrefined shea butter, fragrance, and babassu oil.

Equipment:

Soap: Long Rifle Soap Co Shave Soap - Brown Bess

Bowl: Huge Singing Bowl

Brush: RazoRock Big Bruce Synthetic

Razor: OneBlade BlackBlade

Blade: Feather FHS-10 (First Use)

Aftershave: Captains Choice Bay Rum

Post-shave Serum: Sebum Lime

All in all one of my best shaves ever, and the post-shave feel was second to none!

Vr

Matt

16E310BF-44F6-429E-BE90-D5D6F4780710.jpeg
E1BF0880-49EF-48FF-A30A-BA1419A9C288.jpeg
25C04243-ABF3-48FB-83AF-EE9BFF9AFB2C.jpeg
DAAB40FA-7DF3-4A5C-9268-4424B7543515.jpeg
28994C69-B615-44A2-BB20-557103A46126.jpeg
B4AFD3F1-E42A-4AC4-BDF5-11A19D175869.jpeg
2689E333-8386-4B8E-BAAC-0E384622E520.jpeg

Gents,

I have used this soap five times now. I used my new lathering technique today on its 5th go, and for me this soap is SUPERB!

This soap is absolutely elite, and certainly has a place in my all time top five list of shave soaps. It hits on all cylinders!!! During the lathering process it took 3 tsp of distilled water.

The fragrance is of cherry pipe tobacco with a hint of leather, and it is wonderful.

The performance, in my experience, is top notch with wonderful initial/residual slickness, and this is one of the creamiest soaps I have ever used.

At $15 shipped to your door for three ounces it is pretty tough to beat!

Here is the ingredient list: water, locally-sourced organic tallow, coconut oil, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, aloe vera, unrefined shea butter, fragrance, and babassu oil.

Equipment:

Soap: Long Rifle Soap Co Shave Soap - Brown Bess

Bowl: Huge Singing Bowl

Brush: RazoRock Big Bruce Synthetic

Razor: OneBlade BlackBlade

Blade: Feather FHS-10 (First Use)

Aftershave: Captains Choice Bay Rum

Post-shave Serum: Sebum Lime

All in all one of my best shaves ever, and the post-shave feel was second to none!

Vr

Matt

You say that the post-shave was second to none. However, since you used both an aftershave splash and an expensive post-shave serum, the post-shave should have been excellent. How good would the post-shave had been with the soap alone.

By the time you factor in the cost of the aftershave and serum, your total outlay is nearly 10 times the cost of the soap alone. It is my understanding that the Sebum Lime is $125 for 5 ounces. For that price, I can purchase several great soaps that have no need for an aftershave splash, balm, or serum.

For that price, I can purchase several great soaps that have no need for an aftershave splash, balm, or serum.
Perhaps he just likes to use different products that he has, regardless, Long Rifle is a very good soap. I have several flavors of Long Rifle in addition to the latest & greatest from GD,CRSW, Zingari Man, B&M, etc. and I often reach
for my LR soaps

The Brown Bess soap can stand on its own merits for post-shave feel...it’s great! As I said, this is the 5th time I have used it, and every time it has had a nice post-shave feel with and without post-shave products.

Now...this particular shave...great razor...great soap...great AS...great Serum...all added up to one of the best post-shave feels I have ever had, and it lasted throughout the day.

Your math is pretty solid, and your logic regarding your ability to purchase several nice soaps for $150 dollars or so is correct. Thanks for pointing that out...many roads lead to Rome!

Vr

Matt

Perhaps he just likes to use different products that he has, regardless, Long Rifle is a very good soap. I have several flavors of Long Rifle in addition to the latest & greatest from GD,CRSW, Zingari Man, B&M, etc. and I often reach
for my LR soaps

Have you tried the Zingari Man with the Sego Base? I think that is quickly going to climb to my top five as well. I thought it was fantastic!

Vr

matt

Have you tried the Zingari Man with the Sego Base? I think that is quickly going to climb to my top five as well. I thought it was fantastic!

Vr

matt
Yes, I have Nomad and it is really good, actually one of the best soaps I've used. I also have the Black
Mountain shaving Nantahala in the Kodiak base, another in the best department. The new bases that are
being produced are really a step above most of my soaps. With that said, I still enjoy using and get great shaves
with most of my 40 or so soaps from Soap Commander, CRSW, WSP, Maggards , and several inexpensive RazoRock
soaps. On a side note, Long Rifle Brown Bess is not only a good soap but the scent is very well done.

How's the scent strength on Brown Bess? I have the 1776 soap, and while the soap is a pretty good one, the scent is very much on the weak side. Probably why I dont use it more often.

Yes, I have Nomad and it is really good, actually one of the best soaps I've used. I also have the Black
Mountain shaving Nantahala in the Kodiak base, another in the best department. The new bases that are
being produced are really a step above most of my soaps. With that said, I still enjoy using and get great shaves
with most of my 40 or so soaps from Soap Commander, CRSW, WSP, Maggards , and several inexpensive RazoRock
soaps. On a side note, Long Rifle Brown Bess is not only a good soap but the scent is very well done.

Agreed!

I haven’t tried the Brown Bess yet, but own a couple others from Long Rifle (Bay Rhum and Voyageur) and find their soaps quite good indeed. If there is one area I find them coming up a bit short when compared to the best I have tried (SV 4.3) is in their slickness, but that easily can be eliminated with the superb pre-shave from Grooming Dept. All other performance attributes are terrific, and I really like their fragrances. I will eventually add Brown Bess to the “stable” as well.

The Brown Bess soap can stand on its own merits for post-shave feel...it’s great! As I said, this is the 5th time I have used it, and every time it has had a nice post-shave feel with and without post-shave products.

Now...this particular shave...great razor...great soap...great AS...great Serum...all added up to one of the best post-shave feels I have ever had, and it lasted throughout the day.

Your math is pretty solid, and your logic regarding your ability to purchase several nice soaps for $150 dollars or so is correct. Thanks for pointing that out...many roads lead to Rome!

Vr

Matt

I have so many soaps in my den that I do not have room for accompanying preshaves, aftershaves, balms or serums. Thus, I prefer soaps that do it all. That is why I questioned what the post-shave feel of Long Rifle might be without the other products. I have never used Long Rifle soaps and I have not read or seen a lot of reviews, so I was interested to see if this might be something to try one day.

I have so many soaps in my den that I do not have room for accompanying preshaves, aftershaves, balms or serums. Thus, I prefer soaps that do it all. That is why I questioned what the post-shave feel of Long Rifle might be without the other products. I have never used Long Rifle soaps and I have not read or seen a lot of reviews, so I was interested to see if this might be something to try one day.
So you use no post shave products at all? No balms, aftershaves, or serums at all? You may be the only person I've ever heard of that doesn't!!

So you use no post shave products at all? No balms, aftershaves, or serums at all? You may be the only person I've ever heard of that doesn't!!

Typically, the only thing I use after shaving is a cool water rinse and a splash of Dickenson's witch hazel. I do not consider witch hazel to be an aftershave, but many aftershaves do include witch hazel as a primary component. If you consider witch hazel as an aftershave, then I would use one.

I have a few aftershaves, colognes, and balms in my den, but I rarely use them. I might use an aftershave or cologne on a special occasion when I want to have a noticeable scent, but those occasions are few and far between.

There are two occasions in which I use an aftershave balm. One is when the temperatures are cold and dry. I did apply some balm before going out last night as the temperature was expected to dip down to 10 degrees. It had been 10 hours since I had shave; the effect of the shave soap that I had experienced earlier in the day had started to wear off.

The only other time I use a balm is when I am evaluating a shave soap that leaves my face feeling tight and dry (Arko is one such example). Although my skin is sensitive and my face is not oily, with most of my soaps, I have no need to use anything other than the witch hazel. I have specifically stocked my den with high quality soaps that have no need for an aftershave, splash or serum.

Several of the artisan soapmakers are trying to include some of the same ingredients in their soaps that are found in aftershaves, balms, and expensive serums to provide a great post-shave feel without the need of using an additional product. Those are the soaps I prefer.

One of the current stars of my den is Zingari Man Sego. It will keep my face feeling great for 24 hours after the shave with no need for an aftershave product. Some others that rival Sego for post-shave feel are: Ariana and Evans "The Club", Barrister and Mann Excelsior, Declaration Grooming Milksteak, Grooming Department Nai, Murphy and McNeil Kodiak, Talbot Shaving and Wholly Kaw Siero. I have evaluated all of these soaps and find that I have no need for an aftershave splash, balm or serum and my face is left feeling great for many hours.

I cannot provide details, but I am aware of other formulas in development that will be as good or better than the ones listed. It is a great time to be wet shaving.

Top Bottom