What's new

Long range shooting

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I love my Savage 110 in .270, I don’t think I have ever shot to 600 with it? Maybe between 4-500 a couple of times? Don’t even remember if I hit what I was aiming at it’s been that long. But I have taken a few deer and hog out to 300 with it and it’s always shown to be much more accurate than I am. I think with my aging eyes, hitting something a thousand yards out is probably never going to be scratched off the bucket list.
Don't sell yourself short, Rob. Go see Justin and let er' fly! If bad eyes were an issue I'd have stopped shooting a decade ago!

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I visited a new range yesterday just to take a look see. Only 32 miles from the house. Steel and electronic targets out to 800 yds. Weekly competitions, F-class, FTR, X-C, Tac AR, etc. But $500.00/yr. to join, but also 7 days a week access. Hmmm....gonna have to pray on this one.

Pray on it? For all of that for only $500 a year? Surely it was God himself who inspired and led you to it? :)

Go to the Quigley in SE Montana Father's Day. Buffalo at 805yds, other targets at 600/530/40x and 'bucket' at 350 (offhand)
It really is a hoot

Eben Stone

Staff member
So I've finally come to the realization that I will need at least two rifles. :gunsmilie:

I'm starting off with an AR-15. 223/5.56 Wylde. 18" stainless steel barrel. Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50. I got a stripped lower receiver and a completely unassembled build kit. Just waiting on a barrel nut wrench... This will be for plinking at junk in the desert and 100-400 yards at the range.

I live in California, so if you're aware of the nonsense we have to deal with here, I ordered an "ar maglock" and "hyperswitch" because I prefer to go locked mag instead of featureless. At least that is the plan. Maybe I will change my mind after being inconvenienced too many times at the range.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@Eben Stone, so sorry to hear you live in Kali... but anyways, what trigger are you going to use in your build? The three most important components are the trigger, barrel and glass. Looks like you have the last two covered. With that scope and shooting any distance, you will really appreciate a decent trigger. If you have a mil-spec trigger in your parts kit, leave it in the parts kit! If you don't want to spring for a target trigger, of which there are many to choose from, get a LaRue trigger. Very nice trigger for around $90 IIRC? I have two ARs with LaRue triggers, very pleased. I also have ARs with TriggerTec, Giessele and JP triggers.

Do let us know how your build goes, what components you use. Have you decided on a stock?

You mentioned needing two rifles, have you decided on what the second will be?

Last edited:

Eben Stone

Staff member
@Eben Stone, so sorry to hear you live in Kali... but anyways, what trigger are you going to use in your build? The three most important components are the trigger, barrel and glass. Looks like you have the last two covered. With that scope and shooting any distance, you will really appreciate a decent trigger. If you have a mil-spec trigger in your parts kit, leave it in the parts kit! If you don't want to spring for a target trigger, of which there are many to choose from, get a LaRue trigger. Very nice trigger for around $90 IIRC? I have two ARs with LaRue triggers, very pleased. I also have ARs with TriggerTec, Giessele and JP triggers.

Do let us know how your build goes, what components you use. Have you decided on a stock?

You mentioned needing two rifles, have you decided on what the second will be?
Thanks for the suggestions. I have zero experience with a single stage trigger, so I'm going to stick with the milspec until I can decide what I want to upgrade to. Hopefully I can find someone with a single stage to lend me their rifle.

For long range I'm considering a Bergara B14 or Browning X-Bolt.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Savage 110 Desert Tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor...24" threaded semi-bull barrel...removable box magazine...adjustable pull trigger...can be had for under $700. Put a $300 scope on the piccatinny rail and you've got a nice target rifle for less than a grand.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
@Eben Stone, the LaRue that I have is a two-stage trigger, just like mil-spec, just a whole lot nicer! Also available with a straight bow trigger.

Big fan of 2 stage myself. I run TriggerTech almost exclusively (and that is not important) but love having the first stage set a 4oz and the second stage at whatever (about 12 oz in my bolt guns and 24 oz in my AR-10) so if I am uber focusing I can use the light first stage to feel the 1st wall to get set and then press thru the second stage. Need to run and gun? It's easy to make a 2 stage act like a single stage. Not so easy the other way around! :lol:

Eben Stone

Staff member
Finally got to take my pea shooter out.

20221210_185414.jpg

I'm pretty happy. Hit 7 out of 10 bowling pins at 100 yards without zeroing the scope.

Late to the party- edge of my lane

Your 223 shooting the 77g offerings of Federal or Black hills should take you out to 400 with ease given your set up.

I would be surprised if you rifle would not hold 5ish inches ( I use a CD and a sharpie for that circumference on butcher paper etc.) at 400 with Federal Gold Metal Match (77g).

For your 1000 yard rifle-6.5 Creedmoor is going to get you out there with less recoil and barrel wear.

When I briefly flirted with “distance shooting” I ran the entry level Savage LE Model 110 in .308 with the accurtrigger and a Leupold VX 2 3-9. It would shoot MOAish out to 300 with all manner of surplus and sub MOA out to 400 with Fed GMM. I am not a rifleman by any stretch. I never had it out past 500 given my range and lack of time talent/treasure to do the work at that is the distance where the shooter skills really start to come into play re wind/ballistic tables, shooting positions, light, elevation etc.

I commend you for wanting to push yourself to limits where the challenge is far more than point and shoot.

This offering by savage at 1000ish retail seems to hit the mark. I have never known anyone who bought any Savage 110 of any level in any caliber that was not mechanically capable of MOA- 1 inch per 100 yard out of the box.

That would leave you 1000 for the scope/rings.

FWIW/YMMV I would gladly defer to others with more experience in the arena.

Top Bottom