What's new

Long Long term storage of soaps

For anyone who has done it, what would you recommend for the long storage of soaps? My main concern is protecting the scent. I'm not talking about years, but decades here. Do you think Double plastic bagging is sufficient? Vacuum sealing with a food saver? I'd love to hear your thoughts/experiences

EDIT: Specifically hard soaps. Triple milled and the like

Last edited:
I vacuum-sealed my kilos of P.160 and partial blocks of Cella. I think that putting the blocks in a refrigerator would be even better. I just don't have any room in my fridge right now.

I vacuum-sealed my kilos of P.160 and partial blocks of Cella. I think that putting the blocks in a refrigerator would be even better. I just don't have any room in my fridge right now.

Thanks James.

And I'm talking about hard soaps in particular, but this is good advice nevertheless

I have freezer storage vacuum bagged all of the soaps I know I will not get into for a while. They are not refrigerated or frozen, just air tight sealed

If you use Mylar bags you can be sure the scent will be there in 100 years- regular plastic bags are gas permeable and will fail over time.

If you use Mylar bags you can be sure the scent will be there in 100 years- regular plastic bags are gas permeable and will fail over time.

Jim, could you please elaborate about this? I don't know what a Mylar bag is, but I had the feeling that your run of the mill PB&J plastic bag would be insufficient

I've never really thought about hard soaps, Nick. Right now, I just have them in ziplock bags.

Right now I don't even have them in that. But I'm thinking of stocking up on a couple of my favorites. We all know what happened to Pens, Trumpers, La Toja, SIM, etc etc

Yes I have. They are not complicated or anything to use, but you do need a heat sealer or a foodsaver type unit to seal them.

Do you just use something like this size? And could you help point me to a good heat sealer/ foodsaver? I just need it for this purpose, no vacuum sealing tenderloins. So cheaper is better, but as long as it works. If that makes sense.

That may be a little small for full size pucks, the bags need a little room to get into the sealer. You may want to ask around and just borrow a unit if this is all you want to do. I really am not that familiar with the products available.

Top Bottom