What's new

Long Handle DE razors

This afternoon I was looking through some of my collection and came across two of my favourite DE razors. The Merkur 23c and the Fendrihan closed comb DE. Both are long handle razors, but as you will note in this photo the Fendrihan is both longer and heavier than the Merkur. My preference is generally for long handle razors and heavy DEs. Just a preference. What do you prefer? Long or short handle? Lightweight or heavy weight? Do you know of any other long handle DEs?
Merkur Fendrihan.jpg

I prefer short handles. I find balance more important than weight, I like it to be a little head heavy. I will say I've had 1 shave with a '79 Super 109 and it was surprisingly fantastic.
DSCF0027.JPG

I prefer short handles but I do have an Edwin Jagger long handle (blue) and do like it.
My fav is my 1948 Gillette Aristocrat.
Mikey

I thought I liked longer handles best but then I got my Edwin Jagger DES89L (short handle DE 89L) and I may like it better than my DE86 with the standard handle. That is the only razor which I have the exact same thing with different length handles, but in similar...I like my longer, but lighter Schone better than my similar (but slightly different) Fatip Piccolo with a heavier but shorter handle (and I also thought I liked heavier handles better). Though, I like my RazoRock German 37 and OLD Type OC better with the slightly longer and heavier RR Barber Pole handle than with the the standard handle so it is hard to say.

I like medium length handled razors with some weight. The reason is I have tough whiskers, and razors that are slightly "big and heavy" work well for me.

Definitely short for me - They just feel more nimble and easier to maneuver. The weight of the razor isn't overly important to me, as long as it feels substantial enough in hand and its not light as a feather.

If you do like larger handles, you could check-out a few of the models made by Parker.

Last edited:
I haven't owned any long razors. The longest I own is a Slim. I don't have a strong preference. I do like light handles over heavy handles. I currently like ones that weigh around 60g. 47g is getting too light but still feels okay. I used to like heavy handles, but changed my mind. They don't feel like the proper weight for a shaving razor.

I was going through another box of razors and found another long handle DE. Not much in terms of heft, but a long handle nonetheless. Gillette Super adjustable "Black Beauty" long handle.
long handle.jpg

Three inches is what I call a long handle. I generally prefer early vintage razors with their original handles, but anything that's 2.75 to 3.00 inches is fine. Weight seems meaningless, but I would avoid unnecessarily heavy razors.

generally i prefer longer, heavier razor, but I've been using the PAA Prismatic this week and that thing, as short as it is, is a great mild shaver.

Shorter. I started out with a 23C but find that shorter handle razors are easier to control. I now use an ATT R1 head with a Webber Bulldog handle and wouldnt trade that handle for any other handle in the world.

Short handles work fine for me. I prefer a medium weight and definitely don't like light weights e.g. aluminium handles.

It doesn't really matter although if I haven't shaved in a few days I pull out the Maggard mr9 which is the only time I use it. With the added weight and length when I put a new Astra SP in it this thing is a shaving beast and the beard doesn't stand a chance.

For three piece razors fortunately you can swap handles typicallly to give you the length and weight wanted. Something you cannot do with TTO razors or the few with non standard threads.

Top Bottom