What's new

Long hair - Thoughts, Opinions, & Styles?

Some guys pull it off well, others not so much. Same with tats and piercings.

Unfortunately my hair sucks - very light blonde and no body. As a teenager in the 70s, I was one of the few in High school with short hair. Tried growing it out again when I left the Sheriff's Office, again a no-go. A #2 on the clipper every couple weeks is a lot easier to manage.

As a side note I had a customer wanting to buy a gun a while back. AFT is still a no-go on marijuana use. He said he was not a user, until I pointed out he had at least 6 visible leaf tattoos.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
As long as you are more "Texas Tornado" than "Mr. Perfect" you are good.

proxy.php

how to generally not look like a muppet while having long hair
proxy.php

No worries. I didn't take it as being as you judgmental at all.

I also hope you didn't take my initial comment to mean that I disapprove of long hair on men. I agree with you that a man should be able to grow and wear his hair however he likes. My comment was only meant to suggest that I do not believe long hair (on a man) can be considered formal. While it can be acceptable/tolerated in a formal setting (so long as it's well-kempt maintained), as a general rule, it's not "formal" per se. In this way, it's somewhat like jeans. While a pair of (clean dark) jeans may be acceptable at some formal events (but definitely not at a white tie or black tie event), it's not really formal.

For me, formal is something that an attorney would wear to court (in the US, not so much in the UK or some commonwealth nations, as the barristers there wear robes in court IIRC). While an attorney could wear long hair to court, it may not reflect well upon him in the eyes of a jury. (Like it or not, in the US, there is a bias against men with long hair being taken as professionals.) Should an attorney opt to wear long hair to court in a jury trial, it could bias the jury against his client (unless his client was a shampoo company and the lawsuit was about how the shampoo damaged someone's hair).
That makes sense - I will mention, I'm going to be working as a Goldsmith & Jeweller here in Ol' Blighty. So it needs to be formal enough to use on the shop floor, But i'll be in the workshop 95% of the time.

Here's a picture of me for slight context. It's thick & dark brown... My hair - your minds are in the gutter, I swear!
This thread has helped me understand some peoples ways of thinking on the subject.

& Yes, I realise, I need to lose weight!

Here's a picture of me for slight context. It's thick & dark brown... My hair - your minds are in the gutter, I swear!
This thread has helped me understand some peoples ways of thinking on the subject.

& Yes, I realise, I need to lose weight!
Don't we all, Sir? I lost 9 pounds recently due to Covid, but another ten pounds wouldn't hurt.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm in my late 40's. Just two years to the half century, and the colouring is certainly well salt & peppered. Left curly, my hair is past nipple length, and straightened, my hair is nearly waist length. Longish tache and goatee too.

For me, a pony tail is casual, and to stop me, and anybody else nearby getting flailed alive in a strong wind. :p On a formal event, my hair would be down, and may or may not be straightened. I haven't done braids yet, but have considered it.

Long hair and I doubt it has any style. Usually just wear a bandanna BUT...

a few years ago I was in the neighborhood Walgreen's and there was a mother and daughter in the school supplies aisle picking out the absolutely essential things for the soon to begin school year. The daughter was picking out pencils and matching notebook covers and pencil cases and folders and those big erasers that have funny animal shapes and ...

It was back and forth between the cart and the shelves and hands on hips and putting things side by side and then back on the shelves to try a different selection. She was really serious and every time she turned it was a swirl and her waist length ponytail raced to keep up with her.

I kinda chuckled a said "Boy I wish I knew how to make a pony tail like that!"

Another swirl and eyes looking up at me in astonishment and hands on hips and "Even a second grader knows how to make a ponytail!"

The mother admonished her and told her not to be rude but all mom got was "But it's the truth!"

I said all was fine and ask the young lady if she could teach me how.

So there I was, in Walgreen's, kneeling down with a very mature maybe third or fourth grader behind me, mom trying had not to laugh as the little devil grabbed my hair and pulled so hard I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to close my eyes again.

"You've got skinny hair!"

"You know you're going bald?"

"Stay still!"

Again mom started to comment but once again the response "But it's the truth!"

From somewhere unseen she pulled out something like a cloth covered rubber band and suddenly I was released.

But I had a pony tail, and then a lesson on scuncis and bows and clips and bands and wraps and ties and ...

Mom couldn't stop laughing and the young lady couldn't stop teaching and I was still learning how to blink again but I did have a pony tail.
That’s awesome! Little Girls Rock, don’t mess with them or you’ll get an earful.

I’ve had long hair a few times in my life. Most of my teens, cut it short at 20. Late 20’s, cut it off around 30. I had already started to grow my hair out again when Covid started so it was convenient to just let it go, so right now it’s just above my shoulders in front and just below in back. I feel like well maintained long hair can always be formal but tricky to be professional. I think you need to take cues from your community and profession. That said, I don’t think putting it up or tying it back ever makes it look more professional, it probably makes it worse. Same goes for in between lengths like shoulder-ish like mine is now. Straight, flat, and roughly nipple length, worn untied, and cut by someone that knows what they’re doing will likely command the most respect. Won’t work on everyone, but will look like you care about your appearance. My hair is wavy/curly and does whatever it wants, so would not work for me.

This is my issue . . . hair gets to about a cm in length and it drives me nuts. At that point, the hair has to go.
Same issue. I tried to grow my hair out after retiring from the Marines. I wanted to rock a Sting haircut from the late 70s early 80s.
My hair would start to grow on my neck and I couldn’t get past two weeks. I was always scratching, it looked like I had fleas.
I guess I’m institutionalized.
If you can grow it and your confident…go for it!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I'm not sure where you find issues with longer hair, but I think most folks here are not that judgmental. If what I previously wrote came across that way, I do apologize. It certainly wasn't my intent. I am one who grows a beard each winter since retiring from the military and find some like it, some are not thrilled, but most simply let me my own preference.
Not sure what you mean. I have no issues with long hair. I’ve had short hair and hair as long as God would grow it. Currently I’m in between at just past collar length, which some would call long.

Not sure what you mean. I have no issues with long hair. I’ve had short hair and hair as long as God would grow it. Currently I’m in between at just past collar length, which some would call long.
It was a response regarding folks that had an issue with long hair. I may have misunderstood, but it seemed there were some that had issues with those who have issues with longer hair (personally I wish I could grow mine longer, but it frustrates me). It seems to have been resolved, or at least that is the impression I have received. People on both sides have been very gracious.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
It was a response regarding folks that had an issue with long hair. I may have misunderstood, but it seemed there were some that had issues with those who have issues with longer hair (personally I wish I could grow mine longer, but it frustrates me). It seems to have been resolved, or at least that is the impression I have received. People on both sides have been very gracious.
Ok, I typically work 14-16 hours a day and had a little break to post yesterday, but then had to get back at it and didn’t get done until after 10:30 CDT, so I couldn’t follow up until just now. I really wanted to talk more about hair styles and the accompanying clothing/presentation, but only got as far as I did and decided to post it without completely finishing my thoughts.

I’m sure we’ve all seen examples of certain dress type where the particular hair style could amplify one’s perception. For instance, a shaved head while wearing some types of militaryesque clothing and insignia or tattoos that clearly sends a strong message that they align with some type of hate/supremacy group. Or a disheveled person with long hair might look more disheveled. It’s not the hair, but the entire package, and sometimes people make a connection in their mind because the hair is distinctive.

Mostly though, the point I was trying to make is that if it makes the wearer feel confident about themselves, then that’s what they should wear. Because if they wear it with pride then they will almost certainly do what it takes to keep it looking good, whether long, short or in between.

Ok, I typically work 14-16 hours a day and had a little break to post yesterday, but then had to get back at it and didn’t get done until after 10:30 CDT, so I couldn’t follow up until just now. I really wanted to talk more about hair styles and the accompanying clothing/presentation, but only got as far as I did and decided to post it without completely finishing my thoughts.

I’m sure we’ve all seen examples of certain dress type where the particular hair style could amplify one’s perception. For instance, a shaved head while wearing some types of militaryesque clothing and insignia or tattoos that clearly sends a strong message that they align with some type of hate/supremacy group. Or a disheveled person with long hair might look more disheveled. It’s not the hair, but the entire package, and sometimes people make a connection in their mind because the hair is distinctive.

Mostly though, the point I was trying to make is that if it makes the wearer feel confident about themselves, then that’s what they should wear. Because if they wear it with pride then they will almost certainly do what it takes to keep it looking good, whether long, short or in between.
Wow, I have worked those days, but not in a lot of years now. I have a lot of respect for your hard work. It was relatively easy in my 20s, but I can't imagine doing it now that I am in my 50s.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Wow, I have worked those days, but not in a lot of years now. I have a lot of respect for your hard work. It was relatively easy in my 20s, but I can't imagine doing it now that I am in my 50s.
Hopefully not much longer. I’d like to cut back to every other week starting next year. Still long days for the week that I work, but I’m at a point where I think that I can get by on half of my current income.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I find long hair to be a wonderful social filter.

Some people do harbour negativity towards long hair, and assume a lack of social morality or reliability. The status chasers, terminally vain, and other superficially driven individuals, tend to give me a wide berth. That's brilliant as far as I am concerned. Anyone that assumes I am socially inferior purely due to my looks, is doing me a favour by avoiding me, as they are precisely the people I don't want to get stuck talking to.

That leaves two other "groups". There's the curious ones who think my long hair means something, such as biker, or musician. My conversations with them are likely to be brief, as we'll probably have very little in common.

The ones that treat me no differently to any one else, are undoubtedly the ones I'll end up having the best conversations with. No initial impressions of superiority or inferiority, due to not measuring themselves against others, and enough imagination and freedom of personality, to not assume I am locked in a small focussed subset of society.

So, interesting people talk to me, and superficial and boring people leave me alone. What's not to like?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I find long hair to be a wonderful social filter.

Some people do harbour negativity towards long hair, and assume a lack of social morality or reliability. The status chasers, terminally vain, and other superficially driven individuals, tend to give me a wide berth. That's brilliant as far as I am concerned. Anyone that assumes I am socially inferior purely due to my looks, is doing me a favour by avoiding me, as they are precisely the people I don't want to get stuck talking to.

That leaves two other "groups". There's the curious ones who think my long hair means something, such as biker, or musician. My conversations with them are likely to be brief, as we'll probably have very little in common.

The ones that treat me no differently to any one else, are undoubtedly the ones I'll end up having the best conversations with. No initial impressions of superiority or inferiority, due to not measuring themselves against others, and enough imagination and freedom of personality, to not assume I am locked in a small focussed subset of society.

So, interesting people talk to me, and superficial and boring people leave me alone. What's not to like?
At one of my daughter’s wedding, both myself and the stepfather of the groom were sporting long hair. While in the reception line, someone joked, that it was nice see the band attend the ceremony.

Top Bottom