What's new

Long hair - Thoughts, Opinions, & Styles?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My hair is now waist length when straightened (probably mid back with the natural curl), and is now at the stage where certain activities require more forethought. Check for wind before going anywhere, as tieing back or a hat will be needed if I want to see where I'm going, and not flail passers by. Check for encroaching hair before putting lids on jars, and don't look down when zipping up the trouser fly...

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
A guy I work with is bringing back the mullet (compensating for thinking hair on top)
This is after (5-8 years ago) he relentlessly mocked a coworkers husband’s mullet. I’m biding my time to bring that one up.

I had long hair for 15 years. Noticed I was going thin in the front so I started shaving my head and that’s what brought me to this forum. I feel better than I ever have about my hair situation. A bald man > a balding man, imo. I don’t miss it at all.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
After over 2 years with long hair again, I decided it was time for it to go the way of the Passenger Pigeon, so it's back to the buzz cut I had for over 17 years. Courtesy of Oster Classic 76 with the 5 ought blade. Won't go back to shaving it, but I'll stay with the buzz for a while.
0322221355~2.jpg

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
A guy I work with is bringing back the mullet (compensating for thinking hair on top)
This is after (5-8 years ago) he relentlessly mocked a coworkers husband’s mullet. I’m biding my time to bring that one up.
Oooohhhhh, the Mullet, a style for.....I don't know what.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Mystery to me as well and I know guys that have them. Seems odd these days. I will say that one of them has done quite well in his career - it has not gotten in the way.

Like many things, I think it comes down to can you pull it off? Or does it look like you are trying too hard. Worse yet, does it look like you don't give a rip. If you don't care then you better be good at what you do so that you get hired in spite of your grooming habits or lack thereof.

These guys sure could pull it off with no effort at all. They were the real deal and long hair fit with the times and their music. It all just came together and all was right with the world.

View attachment 1343912
I think I have just about every recording they've ever made. I find an obscure live album I almost bought the other day.... but after reading several reviews, decided I could live without it.... I know this is subjective, but I think Duane Allman is the best electric slide player of all time. I do thoroughly enjoy Derek Trucks, however.. he's becoming a close second.... but there was something about how Duane played that still evokes emotion out of me whenever I listen to him. I can still get teared up with I hear him playing Soul Serenade.... that King Curtis tribute on Disk 3 of their Box set.... amazing...

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Since I retired 3 years ago, I've had varying hair lengths. When Covid hit, I didn't get a hair cut or shave except to keep my beard neat. Then I'd cut off the beard and get my hair cut fairly short. I haven't been attached to either.. and I'm the same person, regardless.

But I will say this.... when I'm out in public, people treat me differently when I have a beard and long hair. My hair is always clean, my beard trimmed on the cheeks in a straight line..no scruffy neck...... but people are generally nicer to me when I'm clean shaven and my hair is cut short.

When I started wet shaving on Feb. 15th of this year, I shaved off my beard and got a hair cut... my barber hadn't seen me in forever and she was shocked. I see her every three weeks now....and I love shaving... so I plan to continue on in this vein for the foreseeable future.

I try to avoid categorizing people based on their outward appearances. I'm sure I'm not always successful but I do make an effort. I do like the saying: there are two kinds of people.... people who think all humans fit into two categories... and those who don't.

Top Bottom