What's new

Long Dwell Time Pre-Shave

I've been getting some questions about my long dwell time pre-shave routine. So here it is in a step by step posting.

First of all, this is simply a variation of Kyle's routing as posted in a Wiki.
Props to Kyle for his excellent research, advice and sharing with us, I consider it a must read. Here is a link to the Wiki:
How to pre-shave prep - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/How_to_pre-shave_prep

I do not claim to be an expert and there are a million ways to achieve a great result but here is what I am current using, it works for me.
The point of this routine is to soften the beard and make my shave better and more comfortable.

Steps:
Vigorously scrub your face with a hot wet washcloth and then let it soak on your face for a while.

Reheat the washcloth and let it sit on your face for a little while longer, until cool.

Wet your face, apply a soap directly and Face Lather with a vigorous and lengthly scrubbing action.
Work it in longer than seems necessary, really work the soap and beard together.
Start off with a thick lather that won't melt or run away for a while.

Now for a long dwell time:
Leave the lather on your face for 8 to 10 minutes, 5 minutes minimum.

Do something around the house.
Make a cup of coffee, take pictures or organize your shave notes.
Return to the brush periodically, add a little water to the brush and reapply the lather, start adding hydration.

Near the end of your dwell time start mixing your lather in a bowl if that's your choice.

At the end of the dwell time:
Scrub your face with a hot wet washcloth to clean off all the lather and dirt.

Rewet your face, apply your desired shave lather and carry on with your normal shave.

That's it.
Thanks and happy shaves to you.

Last edited:
Excellent!!
Your pre-shave lather and later rinse is great conditioner!
You might be able to shorten the "dwell time" to a minute or so, IMHO!

I've been getting some questions about my long dwell time pre-shave routine. So here it is in a step by step posting.

First of all, this is simply a variation of Kyle's routing as posted in a Wiki.
Props to Kyle for his excellent research, advice and sharing with us, I consider it a must read. Here is a link to the Wiki:
How to pre-shave prep - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/How_to_pre-shave_prep

I do not claim to be an expert and there are a million ways to achieve a great result but here is what I am current using, it works for me.
The point of this routine is to soften the beard and make my shave better and more comfortable.

Steps:
Vigorously scrub your face with a hot wet washcloth and then let it soak on your face for a while.

Reheat the washcloth and let it sit on your face for a little while longer, until cool.

Wet your face, apply a soap directly and Face Lather with a vigorous and lengthly scrubbing action.
Work it in longer than seems necessary, really work the soap and beard together.
Start off with a thick lather that won't melt or run away for a while.

Now for a long dwell time:
Leave the lather on your face for 8 to 10 minutes, 5 minutes minimum.

Do something around the house.
Make a cup of coffee, take pictures or organize your shave notes.
Return to the brush periodically, add a little water to the brush and reapply the lather, start adding hydration.

Near the end of your dwell time start mixing your lather in a bowl if that's your choice.

At the end of the dwell time:
Scrub your face with a hot wet washcloth to clean off all the lather and dirt.

Rewet your face, apply your desired shave lather and carry on with your normal shave.

That's it.
Thanks and happy shaves to you.
My wife already thinks I take too long shaving. She would think I had gone nuts if I took that long. I do agree that it probably works well though. I shower and scrub my face and then lather and let sit while I brush teeth deodorant. ect. Then rub lather around again and shave. I feel that even that little bit makes a difference. Thanks for the lowdown.

My 'ritual' takes about 30 minutes, give or take.

After taking my shower, but while still in the shower, I've been using "Cremo Original" to lather-up my face. Kind of a "pre, pre-shave".

After toweling off, I apply a coat of Proraso Pre-Shave and fill my Scuttle with hot water, get my brush and razor warmed up, too. This all takes a few minutes.

I then lather-up my face and let that sit for a couple of minutes. Proceed to shave.

I suppose if I extended each step, letting the 'pre-shave' soak longer and the lather to remain longer, I might get a marginally 'better' shave? IDK?

I'm retired, so I guess could extend my time, if I wanted? But, I doubt I will.

For 30 years I got up at 4:30am to be at work by 6am. I certainly didn't want to get up any earlier just to get a lengthy shave.

These days I enjoy the 'ritual', just not enough to spend 2 hours shaving. JMHO, YMMV.

b/r

ON_1

Top Bottom