What's new

Long Distance Driving - What Do You Listen To?

I imagine some have iPods, cases of CDs, Satellite Radio to occupy their time while driving, but what's your preference on the long haul? Country music? News / Talk Radio?

Today, I drove over 6 hours (away from home for work all week), and the CDs I played included:

• Black Sabbath - The Ozzy Years
  • The Pogues - Greatest Hits
  • Kid Rock - Rock 'n Roll Jesus
  • Lynrd Skynrd - Greatest Hits
  • G'nR - Greatest Hits

So, on a long drive, what's your "choice" to listen to?

Music eventually puts me to sleep on long trips. No matter what the music is, I always get tired. I mostly listen to NPR, brewing podcasts or books on tape in the car now.

I'm a Talk Radio junkie ... I'll be listening to NPR or podcasts most of the time, or local stations on occasion. It doesn't matter what topic they're discussing, except if its sports, then I have to change the channel.

One album I have on my Zune is specifically geared (no pun intended) for driving music. It uses subliminal messages and rhythmic beats to keep you alert and focused on the road ahead.

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Time-Rx/dp/B00270CRA2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1275265541&sr=8-1

Hat tip for the Black Sabbath mention, OP. I love all eras of Sabbath, but the Ozzy albums (except for maybe the Technical Ecstasy) are magical. I just love how the songs will abruptly switch in the middle.

I love listening to higher-energy stuff, like Deep Purple and Rainbow (Ritchie Blackmore!) and Manilla Road. I usually just choose a band on my Creative Zen and shuffle all of their songs throughout all of their albums.

Those of you that are mentioning talk radio, do you have some kind of satellite radio? Otherwise, you'd constantly be flipping stations as you drove away from that area...

Another huge fan of NPR here. You can usually find a station no matter where you are. The NPR website will help you find stations along the way.

I also listen to a lot of music and tend to go for albums I enjoy listening to straight through. I have lots of music, but I always work in a full listen to Dusk at Cubist Castle, by the Olivia Tremor Control.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I would bring a few CDs of The Offspring for the trip. I will play with the radio a bit and listen to what's playing if I get bored.

SNIP<<<It uses subliminal messages and rhythmic beats to keep you alert and focused on the road ahead.>>>>SNIP

Space Truckin' and Highway Star do that to me, makes my foot want to go through the floor though!!!:sneaky2:

SNIP<<<I love all eras of Sabbath, but the Ozzy albums (except for maybe the Technical Ecstasy) are magical.>>>>SNIP

I'm torn with the Ozzy years. Early albums are better to listen to, but I feel Vol 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Technical Ecstasy showed more experience in writing. But by the last 2, it's almost like the stresses of Ozzy's behaviors were showing through.

I believe Paranoid was their top selling album, but I like Master Of Reality better.

I listen to educational courses from The Teaching Company. I download them from http://www.teach12.com/teach12.aspx and put them on my ipod. The lectures are from 30-45 minutes each and do a much better job of keeping me awake than music does. I have been very impressed with the quality of the courses. My favorites are those on ancient history and have particularly enjoyed the ones on the Middle Ages by Professor Daileader.

I'm torn with the Ozzy years. Early albums are better to listen to, but I feel Vol 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Technical Ecstasy showed more experience in writing. But by the last 2, it's almost like the stresses of Ozzy's behaviors were showing through.

I believe Paranoid was their top selling album, but I like Master Of Reality better.

Yeah, I prefer their first six albums (especially Masters, Vol. 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, and Sabotage...skip Technical Ecstasy...and then pick up with Never Say Die). NSD is an album that sounds nothing like older Sabbath, but I like all the jazzy stuff. Their first two are kind of simplistic, still good, but just not as creative.

Do you like the other singers?

I like to listen to albums that are intended to be listened to in their entirety and not just songs slammed together. Typically, Tool is the go-to band for such enjoyment. Sometimes I like to listen to a mix of stuff just to keep things different as the hours pass. That said, there have also been times where I have listened to the same album over and over during a long drive.

Weeeeeeeeellll...
I put a computer in my car. There are several justifications, like having my entire music collection on hand, with the operating system, user interface, and media player of my choice (and the ability to play *any* format I want), but in the end I did it because I could, and it was fun.

Anyway, so on any drive, I have a 500g hard drive, with (currently) around 15,000 songs, from multiple styles and artists ranging from classical to modern jazz to pop, rock and metal...
It's usually on shuffle, but occasionally I'll turn the shuffle off and listen to one artist. Most recent are: radiohead, rhcp, chris rea, michel camilo, and bach's cello suites.

I can't stand the radio... The repetitiveness drives me insane. So I never listen to the radio.

Occasionally I will just roll down the windows and listen to the wind rushing by.

Top Bottom