What's new

London shops - stone seeker

I live in Southeast US (AL) and I travel a good bit for work sometimes. Two weeks ago was in Brazil, Memphis early this week, now Hemel Hempstead England. Will be in London later this week for a few days and wondering if there were any local shops or spots a man might look around for hones and stones? Odd question but thought I would throw it out there and take advantage if possible.

Based on what I've heard from the British pickers, they find stones at "Boot Sales" (Which I believe means yard sale). And they find a TON of stuff. Half of eBay US for hones sometimes is UK sellers who make their living buying Charnleys, Washitas, and Coticules for a couple bucks and selling them on eBay US for a hundred times what they paid. Every darn garage in England must be floor to ceiling stacked with sharpening stones.

Was in London a few Months ago .A trip to Taylor of old Bond Street would be very fun if you need shave cream.
proxy.php

74 Jermyn Street
London, United Kingdom SW1Y6
Get Directions
proxy.php

+44 20 7930 5321
Did not see any hones in my travels there .

Thanks guys. Yes, I see online many stones being found over here. Hoping I could either get in on the action or at least pick some things up and avoid the shipping. Worth a shot to ask anyway :)

The London shops are overpriced in comparison with what you can get online for exactly the same stock. Fun to look around, Floris, Taylor's and Trumpers are all quite close to each other. Best for window shopping only.

Car Boot sales are held usually advertised locally and take place at weekends, from my experience. It's pot luck whether you will find anything - I never seem to have much luck.

Car Boot Sale Hemel Hempstead, James Bone Car Boot Hertfordshire, Every Saterday

Top Bottom