What's new

Loft for Setting First Silvertip Knot

I’m about to set a 26mm TGN silvertip knot with a 67mm loft in a Heritage Collection handle drilled down 17mm. This would give me an effective loft of 50mm.

I plan on using 1 penny to raise the loft to 51.5 mm. Should I splurge and use two pennies to raise the loft to 53mm?

I have never set a knot before so any suggestions on the loft or anything else would be appreciated. I plan on using Liquid Nails silicone.

Depending on the quality of the knot I like around 53-55 loft.
If you bury it to deep you do not get the luxury it can provide.
50 is a little deep/stiffer 55 being the other end of max loftiness for me. Over that it gets a little floppy even with a quality knot.

Depending on the quality of the knot I like around 53-55 loft.
If you bury it to deep you do not get the luxury it can provide.
50 is a little deep/stiffer 55 being the other end of max loftiness for me. Over that it gets a little floppy even with a quality knot.

Thanks. That gives me a good starting point. I’ll shoot for 53 the first time out.

You can set the knot with a small amount of silicone glue and test it out. It holds good enough for testing bit the knot can be pulled out to reset at a different depth. Once you find the ideal loft you can set it more permanently.

You can set the knot with a small amount of silicone glue and test it out. It holds good enough for testing bit the knot can be pulled out to reset at a different depth. Once you find the ideal loft you can set it more permanently.

That's another good idea.

Top Bottom