What's new

Lodge Sportsman Grill?

Let me start out by saying that I'm a devotee of Lodge Cast iron cookware. Aside from my grandmother's (and possibly great-grandmother's) unbranded Wagner skillet, I only cook with Lodge. I've seen their Sportsman Grill listed on the internet before, and have wanted one since my "conversion" to cast iron two + years ago. Yesterday, however, was the first time that I've seen one in a store. The price...$88...was a bit less than the prices I'd seen before, but was comparable to larger (and fancier) charcoal grill they also had in stock.

SWMBO would rather get the larger grill. I'm simply looking for input from someone who has used the Lodge Grill. Whatever we eventually decide on will likely be our only grill for at least this summer.

Must be this:

I have never used one of these. I am a Weber guy. I would pass on a grill without a lid. Looses too much heat too quickly. Also, I don't see the advantage of the cast iron body. It is not as if that improves anything related to cooking.

YMMV.

Last edited:
Must be this:

I have never used one of these. I am a Weber guy. I would pass on a grill without a lid. Looses too much heat too quickly. Also, I don't see the advantage of the cast iron body. It is not as if that improves anything related to cooking.

YMMV.

I am a Weber guy too, however I also have one of these, but didn't realize it's called a Sportsman's grill. I think this is fun to cook on - especially for Yakitori and other fun little items. However, getting the larger grill with a lid is probably going to give you more versatility when it comes to regular cooking. I think you should do something domestically endearing like cleaning up around the house, doing some vacuu ming, laundry, etc. to generate some good will and then get this as well as the larger grill. Problem solved!

Last edited:
ya, this is all about hibachi cooking; as long as you're into that and a bit of the smaller pot simmering it's certainly a lot of fun... but, obviously, heavy!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
ya, this is all about hibachi cooking; as long as you're into that and a bit of the smaller pot simmering it's certainly a lot of fun... but, obviously, heavy!

^^^

What he said. That is a great quality hibachi, and I do love my little pot metal one, but if you're only gonna get one grill get a regular Weber. You can do more with it. You can do hot and fast or low and slow...or in between.

I do have a soft spot in my heart though for the hibachis...I've cooked some mean arse steaks on one with the mesquite I got from my Aunt's.

And I pulled my little cheap one out not too long ago to cook some Chicken Yakitori. Turned out Marvelous!!!

Regular Weber grill for versatility.

But I have been seriously thinking about getting a Lodge Sportsman Grill.

Your call.

Oh...and you're gonna have to take care of the cast iron grill like you do your skillets and stuff.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I am a Weber guy too, however I also have one of these, but didn't realize it's called a Sportsman's grill. I think this is fun to cook on - especially for Yakitori and other fun little items. However, getting the larger grill with a lid is probably going to give you more versatility when it comes to regular cooking. I think you should do something domestically endearing like cleaning up around the house, doing some vacuu ming, laundry, etc. to generate some good will and then get this as well as the larger grill. Problem solved!
Both- the most prudent advice

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have a neighbor who has a Lodge Sportsman Grill. It is more of a hibachi / patio type of grill. I think it's great for steaks, shrimp and shish kabobs but not serious grilling / bar-b-q.

I know he said he got tired of trying to keep the outside of the Sportsman's base seasoned to keep it from rusting since it is cast iron also and the base doesn't get cooked on. He said the heat from the grill cooks off the seasoning every time. I believe he ended up spray painting the outside base with high heat black paint in order to maintain the cast iron. He only keeps the top grill seasoned now.

Once my last child was grown and gone, me and the Misses, sold my giant steel barrel smoker / grill and got a couple of the smaller Weber Smokin' Joe's. Their small like the Lodge Sportsman but are light, table top sized and have a lid. We can grill or smoke meats in portion sizes for two on one grill, while grilling veggies on the other.

Clean up is really easy also.

My father in law has one of these. He loves it, and breaks it out a lot when we are over. Its obviously not made for grilling out for serious numbers of people since its kind of small. We've done seared scallops, shrimp, kabobs. I think he used it to sear some tuna as well one time. Small steaks work well too.

Also, they really aren't that expensive, so it wouldn't hurt to have one if you enjoy grilling.

I use mine all the time, its my favorite if I am just doing a few steaks or burgers. Lodge made a fish fryer that fits on it. I have a griddle that fits like it was made for it.
I say buy it!

Attachments

• $2-15_005_001.jpg
    $2-15_005_001.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 120
  • $20160228_213439.jpg
    $20160228_213439.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 120
  • $20160228_184858.jpg
    $20160228_184858.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 116
  • $DSC_0002.jpg
    $DSC_0002.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 119

That was an interesting article - thanks for posting it! Using my incredible powers of observation, I had always thought mine had a Japanese dragon on the charcoal door. However, after reading this I just went out to the garage to check and the little door had what the author called a duck, but I would call a goose (but what do I know? I would have bet a beer it was a dragon before reading that article).

Anyway thanks for posting the link!

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

Thanks for that link, Mike! The link on your link to Birmingham Stove and Range narrowed down the BS&R skillet I got a couple of years ago. It appears my skillet is a Century model No. 3 made about 1966. My original post on it is here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/365845-No-name-skillet?highlight=Birmingham

Thanks again!

Oh, and how difficult is it to keep the base of the Sportsman Grill free of rust and whatnot?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
In school, I learned to grill on a $5 hibachi. The Lodge looks great for yakitori or cooking for one or two.

I got mine back in 1970, a couple of years later my wife and I took it with us overseas to Turkey where I was stationed with the USAF. Brought it back and have been using it since, although for a number of years it was stored away since we needed something larger. Now that my son is grown and gone, we keep in under cover inside a defunct gas grill and use it for a couple of steaks, hamburgers, or some fish just for the two of us. It's great for one or two, but for a large family group it's inadequate. If it should burn out or break I will get another.

Four or five years ago I cleaned the bottom, bowl part and painted with Krylon high temp paint and it has been holding up to contact with burning charcoal.

Top Bottom