What's new

Lodge 10 1/4" round griddle

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
At the moment, I use a regular, non-stick LeCreuset crepe skillet to cook my tortillas (Tortillas are a very important part of my kitchen, I press them and cook them myself every time we have Mexican food which is a few times a week). That skillet was never over half the power (so medium was the max, never cooked on medium high or high). I believe that's why the finish is still like new.

Lately, I've been reading more and more regarding the traditional "Comal" used in a Mexican kitchen. While, I would like to have something as traditional as possible, I also need something functional. From what I read, it could be an aluminum or cast iron comal.

Right now, my LeCreuset is 4 years old, the finish is not chipped and it's still non stick. I grease it maybe once a week, it works well. I tried to use my cast iron pizza pan to make the tortillas. It went fairly well and the taste was a bit different compared to the LeCreuset. Since then, I am very tempted to get a Lodge round griddle (that's the L9OG3) which is maybe 1/4" smaller than my LeCreuset.

The pizza cast iron did not work 100% as it's a 14" and my stove top goes up to 11" which leaves a part that isn't headed when using the pizza pan.

I found that the cast iron was a bit better. I know that something like Lodge would be a lifetime (cheap) investment as they last forever for what you pay. As long as I grease it well (well season it well), it wouldn't be an issue.

Last week, every lodge article was 25% off and when I went to buy one, they were out of stock. My plan was to come back in the city and buy one today but it looks like that the special finished yesterday! So, this means that I have more time to look at those pans!

I was wondering if someone makes tortillas in cast iron? How is it? I also made some eggs in there and it was great. I have a regular cast iron skillet and use it for roasts during the winter.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
my stove top goes up to 11"

proxy.php

It's a great tool. I've had one since 2010 and use it any time I need flat heat without something in the way of my spatulas. Accommodates my sense of efficiency when I don't need heat coming from the side walls, or to hold liquids in. Works on the gas stove and the oven equally well. Amazon is at <15 $US if that's any help.

It can't be beat! Just season it again before using it. The Lodge preseason is just a starter coat. I use shortening. Remeber to start and finish with a shiny skillet afterwards

Being of Mexican descent, a cast iron skillet was used for everything when I grew up. We didn't make hand-made tortillas, but if my mom did, I pretty sure she would use the same comal. I remember always making my quesadillas on that thing. And then on the weekends, bacon... yum. Damn it, I'm getting hungry now.

Regarding the Lodge, we have been eyeballing it too and will eventually get one.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My wife has a cast iron comal (no idea on the make) that is easily 30 years old. It will never leave our kitchen.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Oh, and I didn't answer one of your questions- yes, we do tortillas on them all the time, whether it is from scratch, or the ones we buy from a supermercado on 28th street in Fort Worth. I have warmed up tortillas in a non stick pan, but the 30 years of seasoning on the cast iron imparts a certain greatness to the tortilla.

We do seem to talk a lot about vintage razors on this site...
How about vintage cast iron?
Some great looking stuff on that large auction site.
(The old cast iron is so superior to the modern stuff.)
Cheers.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Cheers.
A lot of guys here have vintage stuff- you see a lot of Griswold.

It will work fine. I got one that over 70 years old , black as sin and it makes oven or grill baked pizza's or warming tortillas and making toasted sandwiches.

Yup, plenty of us have Griswolds and other vintage cast iron. As for "superior", Lodge isn't the only modern manufacturer of cast iron. There are better options out there but they are pricey compared to Lodge and vintage. The work required comes at a price these days -- especially for small run manufacturing in the US.

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
Well, well, well, the lodge is back on special today. I will pop in at lunch to get the griddle...

You might notice where my location is....around here I see locals using almost anything to cook on, at one road side food stand I even saw a cook using what looked like a section of a small boat over a heat source upon which to heat his tortillas.

As for cast iron, fantastic! I often cook bacon or sausage in mine to keep it seasoned. After use, rinse it out good, then stick it back on the heat source to dry it, works for me and keeps my pan shinny black.

Luc

Staff member
I forgot to mention that these tools make cleaning a cast iron pan a bit easier:

View attachment 608996

I got some of those and it works well to clean any cast iron pot that I have.

So far, only made omelets in the new pan. 1st try, I sprayed the pan with olive oil and everything got stuck pretty badly (I lost around 1 egg to the pan).

2nd try, I used butter (in case of doubts, use butter). Non-stick no issues.

I re-greased the pan with bacon fat as I cooked some on that same morning and had a bunch of fat left over. So I did all my pans with it.

I have yet to cook some tortillas but it should be this week.

Luc

Staff member
Tortillas were cooked in the pan. It was well greased before and nothing got stuck. I honestly did not notice much of a difference between my LeCreuset crepe pan and the Lodge. The tortillas were great and I think that's all that matters. One plus thing, I am able to set the heat higher in that pan.

Sunday morning eggs were perfect!

Top Bottom