What's new

Locksmith help ...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
So ... SWMBO broke her house key off in our front door. It's one of these kinds of door locks ...

1679511320730.png

... so the deadbolt is now inoperable from the outside. We can still lock/unlock from inside, and still open/close the door with the handle, but ... cannot un/lock from outside. If we want to leave the house and lock up, we have to go out the back door (an okay temporary situation but obviously not a good longterm plan.)

The key fragment is too far inside the lock for me to pull out with needle nose pliers. So ... I'm wondering ...

1. Is this an "easy fix" for a locksmith to come out and pull the fragment out and be done?
  2. Is the lock FUBAR and needs replacing (means replacing the back door lock too)?
  3. Is there some strange way I can actually pull the fragment out myself??

Looking forward to hearing the collective wisdom of B&B ...

I've heard success stories of taking a stick of hot glue and melting the end with a lighter before inserting it to the key hole. Allow it to cool and success!*

*According to some anecdotal accounts I've read. I've got no personal experience with it.

Legion

Staff member
You need a key extractor tool. Long slim piece of metal with a small hook on the end.

This kind of thing.

Can buy cheap sets on eBay, Amazon, etc. But can also be made easily enough.

I would avoid any method using glues that have not set.
I used to make lock picks out of the thin metal shims in windscreen wiper blades. I’d bet you could Dremel up one of those tools the same way.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
No expert here but a lock smith should be able to sort that out with little to no fuss.
Either extract the key or replace the barrel to use a new key.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
No expert here but a lock smith should be able to sort that out with little to no fuss.
Either extract the key or replace the barrel to use a new key.

Pretty sure a locksmith will make short work if it.
What they said.

In fact - so easy for a locksmith that it's hardly worth his trouble to come out.
Ease of action says call a locksmith.
If you're feeling more adventurous, you could disassemble the lock from the inside, pull it apart, and have better access to getting the fragment out.
It's not really that complicated, and a good look over the parts makes it plenty clear how everything goes back together.
Take pics at each step if you're worried.

They make another tool to remove broken keys that looks like a tiny saw somewhat like a jeweler's saw blade. I had the same thing happen at my folk's place a couple of years ago. Once I disassembled the lock it was rather easy to push the broken key out of the barrel from the other direction with a small screwdriver. A paper clip would probably work too.

Top Bottom