What's new

Lockhart's Heavy Hold Fire and Brimstone review

fire1.jpg

Today I’m reviewing Lockhart’s Fire & Brimstone Heavy Hold pomade. It comes in a 4oz tin, and sells for approximately $13.90. I purchased it on the Lockhart’s website for $8.50, as the company is currently selling out the remainder of their stock of this pomade for the year.

I applied 2 scoops of Fire & Brimstone pomade to my DRY hair. The results were less than disable. My hair looks greasy with this product in it. My hair looks terrible. I can understand why Lockart’s added a lot of oil to the product, as they wanted to make it shiny so that people will want to purchase it. But by adding so much unnecessary oil, they’ve created a real mess of a product. My hair looks greasy without any hold at all. The shine is good, but that’s the only thing good about Lockart’s Fire & Brimstone Heavy Hold pomade. At $8.50, I feel like I overpaid for this product.

In my Hollywood movie star scale, I give my hair a 2 out of 10 today. My hair looks dreadful with this pomade in it. I rate Fire & Brimstone as one of the worst waxes I've ever used, and believe me, I've used a lot of them.

This stuff was too weak for me to style my thick hair with. When I would shake my head to test the hold, my hair would come out of place immediately. This is the same problem I had when using Lockhart’s Goon Grease pomade, which is one of the reasons why I stopped using it. The stuff is too weak. Yeah, it’s shiny, but that’s not enough. I can add a topper to good heavy hold pomade if I want shine. A far better pomade in the Lockhart’s line is their Heavy Hold pomade. It’s got great hold, zero shine, and a variety of different scents. The last time I checked, you can choose from 23 different scents for Lockhart’s Heavy Hold pomade.

Fire & Brimstone Heavy Hold pomade smells like charcoal, and it has an off-putting red coloring. I looked up the ingredient for the red coloring, and it was scary to read about it. I hate putting unnecessary chemicals on my head. I don’t feel comfortable at all with the artificial coloring that Lockhart’s has added for their Fire & Brimstone pomade.

Lockhart’s Fire & Brimstone Heavy Hold is advertised as a heavy pomade with a medium shine. I think it’s more of a firm to medium hold. It’s clearly not a heavy hold.

This is a pomade that Lockhart sells yearly around Halloween for the season. It’s just a yearly thing, and I can understand why. One reason for that might be the fact that the pomade is basically a copy of their highly popular Goon Grease Heavy hold pomade, but with red coloring and a different scent.

I rate the following wax pomades as FAR superior to Lockart’s Fire & Brimstone Heavy Hold pomade:

· High Life Heavy Hold pomade

· High Life Voodoo Brew 2

· High Life Medium pomade

· Lockhart’s Heavy Hold

All in all, I consider Lockart’s Fire & Brimstone Heavy Hold as a poor product, and little more than a knockoff of their existing Goon Grease pomade. My impression is Lockhart’s took a lazy approach to creating a product by taking one of their existing pomades, Goon Grease, and gave it another name and added a different scent and red coloring. I’m not a fan of Goon Grease and I definitely dislike Lockart’s Fire & Brimstone Heavy Hold. I wouldn’t purchase it again, as there’s nothing special about it at all, period.

I can see how newbies to the pomade world would love Lockart’s Fire & Brimstone Heavy Hold, because they have very little experience at trying out other products. But for someone that is familiar with pomades, it’s hard to see anything good at all in the Lockart’s Fire & Brimstone Heavy Hold product.

I was just getting ready to post my own review when I found yours, so I will append rather than starting a separate thread.

First things first, the pomade in your photo looks a lot greasier than the stuff really is, like someone ran a finger all over the top of it. It is a high wax pomade, and the surface is smooth and firm in the jar:

proxy.php

The scent and color fit perfectly with the theme Lockart's was going for, which is a Halloween special edition. The color disappears as you apply the product.

The pomade scoops easily, and needs to be thoroughly warmed up in the hands before application. Once it is warmed up it applies effortlessly, and it is so smooth and slick that styling is a breeze. I usually apply it into blown-dry or towel-dried hair, and it never clumps or causes tugging... unless it is not fully warmed up in the hands. If you just rub it a little before putting it in, you will get greasy clumps that are very unappealing. The good news is with just a little more warming that is easily avoidable.

As a petro based pomade, it does start out a little shiny, but it never looks overly greasy. And the oils are quickly absorbed, letting the wax do it's work. Once it is properly applied and styled, this pomade has a medium shine. Hair flexibility and softness remain top notch, and the hold is very heavy. No matter what style I attempted, this stuff does a great job of holding things firmly in place. With my hair slicked back, I legitimately went over 10 hours without needing to re-comb or re-style. As much as I love some of my other pomades, none of them hold that well for that long.

The scent of this pomade is where it really stands out. It is a smoky, complex scent that really resembles burning incense in the best possible way. Simply put, it is fantastic, and very true to the theme of the pomade. It is so nice that whenever I am wearing it my wife cannot stop hugging me close and nuzzling my neck as she takes another whiff!

Lockhart's Authentic Grooming took one of their popular products, Goon Grease, and turned it into a Halloween superstar. I know that this pomade will appeal to anyone who enjoys great performance, good styling, and a terrific scent. I actually relied on some reviewers I really trust before pulling the trigger. In fact, the video that @David157 linked is by The Workman's Pomp, one of the best pomade reviewers on YouTube, and you should check the video out to see for yourself how well this stuff actually performs.

If I were to score the pomade, I would give it:

Ease of Application - 4/5
Hold - 5/5
Durability - 5/5
Shine - 3/5
Scent - 5/5

Overall Score: 4.4/5

Interesting thread! Excellent descriptions showing how and why a product can perform under very differently depending an the conditions and usage. Thanks for posting!

Interesting thread! Excellent descriptions showing how and why a product can perform under very differently depending an the conditions and usage. Thanks for posting!

Thanks! I think it is important to share all viewpoints on a product, because as we all know around here, YMMV!

Maybe I got a bad batch of Lockhart's Fire & Brimstone Heavy. I don't think that's the case though, as I've used it before and tossed it due to it under performing. What it comes down is the fact I've used so many quality wax pomades in the past. When I get to an odd bird like Fire and Brimstone, it fails to measure up. I do like the clever way Lockhart's have taken one of their existing products, Goon Grease, changed the color, name and added a red coloring No.17 and sold it as a new product. That's ingenious. I would have preferred that they created something altogether new, but oh well. I guess they're busy and don't have time.

I actually enjoy when a company takes a successful product and puts it out in a seasonal scent. Many of the shaving soaps we love are all just different scented versions of the same quality product.

I do like the clever way Lockhart's have taken one of their existing products, Goon Grease, changed the color, name and added a red coloring No.17 and sold it as a new product. That's ingenious. I would have preferred that they created something altogether new, but oh well. I guess they're busy and don't have time.

This review was all over the place and full of hypocrisy.
You criticize their use of coloring yet Voodoo Brew also uses coloring.
You didn't like the shine/greasyness of F&B yet you rave about Murry's which is basically petroleum. You say the hold is just not there but based on your picture it looks like you use 2 small scoops if that . You say you have thick hair then its obvious you need more product to hold. Not all pomades are created equal. Some you need a little while others you may need to use more.
Fire and Brimstone is a seasonal scent using the same base as their med/heave/goon grease hold. It is NO DIFFERENT than any of the shaving soap artisans releasing various scents and seasonal scents with the SAME soap base formula.

Fire and Brimstone Heavy Hold contains Red 17, and the pomades I listed DON'T. Here's some interesting things for you to read about the health concerns surrounding Red 17:

This is from www.ewg.org:

Other HIGH concerns: Persistence and bioaccumulation; Other MODERATE concerns: Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive); Other LOW concerns: Ecotoxicology
Violation of government restrictions - Banned or found unsafe for use in cosmetics CosIng
Violation of government restrictions - Banned or found unsafe for use in cosmetics European Commission
Violation of government restrictions - Restricted in cosmetics; use, concentration, or manufacturing restrictions - Color additive approved by FDA for use in cosmetics: external use only (only for products for use around the mouth, lips, eyes, or on damaged skin) FDA Color Additive Status
Restricted in cosmetics (recommendations or requirements) - use, concentration, or manufacturing restrictions - Use is restricted in Canadian cosmetics Canada - Prohibited and Restricted Cosmetics Ingredients

Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)

Concern
Reference
Classified as expected to be toxic or harmful

---

I don't care for the idea of purchasing a product that is similar to an existing product. You seem to be fine with it. I'm not. We can disagree on this. If an automobile company sold the exact same car and changed the coloring and the name of the model, I wouldn't want to buy it. Would you? You're good with that idea. I'm not.

--

Lockhart's advertises Fire & Briimstone Heavy Hold as being a heavy. I don't think it is, and I'm not the only one. I see it as a firm hold, not a heavy. To me, a true heavy hold pomade is Lockhart's Heavy Hold, Murray's Xtra Heavy, Voodoo Brew 2 and High Life Heavy. If you've tried those pomades, you'll likely agree with me. If you have never used them, then your flying blind and probably won't understand what I'm talking about.

---

Murray's Superior pomade isn't as greasy for me as the Fire and Brimstone Heavy Hold. That's my opinion. I do love how Murray's works for me. I can't say the same about Fire and Brimstone heavy unfortunately.

Copying and pasting info on toxicology is rather disingenuous, since the stuff you pasted is woefully out of context. All of the "concerns" you listed are related to the ingestion or unsafe disposal of the ingredient in large quantities. So, it has no bearing on its use in a pomade produced in the U.S.

Also, I cannot find anyone else who has posted that this is not a heavy hold, just you. One of the pomades you listed had almost the exact same hold as this one. Even the video YOU YOURSELF included is a positive review talking about how well this pomade holds.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and that is why a forum like this works. Unfortunately this conversation is getting derailed because more opinions differ with yours. You shouldn't post a review if you cannot accept that others may disagree with you and be vocal about it, or that they may point out conflicting information that you have posted yourself.

Hey Wildwest, go to 9:38 mark of the video that you just mentioned, and you'll hear Workman's Pomp describe it as a firm and not a heavy. I've found other reviewers saying the same thing. Of course, I don't need this guy to tell me what is clear about Fire and Brimstone Heavy Hold pomade. It is NOT a heavy hold pomade that it's advertised as. I can understand why you'd be a little in the dark about the difference between a firm and heavy hold pomade is. Once you've been using pomades for a number of years, you'll eventually understand what I'm talking about. Right now, you appear to be a newbee to the pomade world, which is fine. We all have to start somewhere, right? But as far as Fire and Brimstone goes, it's not a heavy hold. I hate to break this to you, but it's just a firm.

You should purchase a true heavy hold pomade like High Life Heavy Hold or Murray's Xtra Heavy pomade. Once you try those, you'll likely see the light and come back and tell me, 'David, you were so, so right. Fire and Brimstone Heavy hold is nothing like those heavy hold pomades. How could I be so wrong.'

Right now, you appear to be a newbee to the pomade world, which is fine.

Okay, I posted my review, we obviously disagree. Others have taken an issue with your presentation, and while I respect your right to your opinion, saying stuff like that is just counterproductive to the spirit of Badger&Blade. I try to be polite, even when I see someone being ridiculous, so I will bow out of discussing this with you. If anyone has questions about the pomade, I offer my opinion, but I don't think anyone is served by me responding to you in an honest manner.

Good day to you, sir!

I was just giving my view on the pomade. It's not perfect, but none of them are. Even my favorite pomade, Murray's Superior, has flaws.

Top Bottom