What's new

L'Occtober 2016!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
October 7th On a cool & rainy midnight in middle Oklahoma.

Razor: Sanguine R5 Shavette
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium
Brush: Plisson
Soap: L'Occitane Cade
Aftershave: Vintage Avon "Windjammer"

Cade really does lather well, especially with a synthetic brush. And the Juniper scent makes me welcome in the fall. Regardless of the not fall like daytime temperatures. But the thunderstorms outside my window right now, tells me that fall is fighting summer's stubbornness.

Last edited:
I wish I would have seen this a little sooner as I would have committed for the sole purpose of trying to kill off a long running puck of Cade. I think if I did it for the entire month it would surely finish off that one. It definitely wouldn't put a dent in the 4 pucks I have stashed away though.

It's a little early in the year for me to really want to use the Cade balm afterwards, but they do make a great combo.

As it is, I will not be officially participating, but I will give it an extra consideration as that puck moves through my rotation.

What does 3017 mean? Seen the term used, no clue what it means.

It's a reference to a long running thread started by johnniegold in 2010, who had/has a gigantic soap collection. In effort to thin the den, he decided that he would only use 1 soap at a time until it was gone. His initial guess was that he could finish them all off by 2017, after actually trying to finish a single puck and seeing how long they really last. His estimate was revised to 3017.

And now you know the rest of the story.

TLDR 3017 use a single product until it's gone

It's a reference to a long running thread started by johnniegold in 2010, who had/has a gigantic soap collection. In effort to thin the den, he decided that he would only use 1 soap at a time until it was gone. His initial guess was that he could finish them all off by 2017, after actually trying to finish a single puck and seeing how long they really last. His estimate was revised to 3017.

And now you know the rest of the story.

TLDR 3017 use a single product until it's gone

Thanks!

October 7
Razor: '63 Fatboy
Blade: Rapira Plat Lux (2)
Brush: Plissoft Synth
Soap: Cade
Aftershave: lucky Tiger / Havana

Solid shave. Really got the soap dialed in , cushiony & very slick. And that scent :tongue_sm

Cool day today, so back to the Tabac!

• Gillette NEW LC
  • Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
  • Tabac
  • Semogue Owners Club boar
  • Clubman
  • Nivea Post Shave Balm

I've been booming my soaps a bit lately. Not something I had done in the past. I bloomed the Tabac and had so much soap I had trouble hydrating it sufficiently. :blush: Still, a good shave.

October 11th​ Occtober #4

Razor: 34c
Soap: Occitane Cade
ASB: Occitane Cade

It is getting significantly colder here, I like the scent of the Cade shaving soap, but as the temperatures are dropping, I prefer stronger scents. It might be time for me to open the Cade shaving cream and see if it provides a somewhat stronger scent.

My post just above should have been October 10th... but anyway.

October 11th
​ Occtober #5

Razor: 34c
Cream: Occitane Cade

As the temperatures are getting lower, I prefer stronger scents. So this morning, I decided to open a bowl of L'Occitane Cade Shaving Cream bought a few months ago and give it a try. The first surprise was the consistency, I am used to shaving creams from ToBS or Trumper and expected somehow a similar consistency from the Occitane, but the Occitane is more liquid, it is more yogurty or somewhat close to a skin moisturizer cream than the "usual" thicker creams of ToBS or Trumper. The second surprise was the scent, I somehow expected a stronger juniper scent than the Occitane Cade shaving soap, but the scent is pretty much similar.

I lathered up the Occitane Cade shaving cream in the face and had a pretty enjoyable smooth shave, but the result was not as close as what I get from the shaving soap. While the scent is pretty similar in strength, it however seems to last longer, it is now two hours since the shave and the scent is still noticeable.

I am new to Cade this year and love it. Very creamy, very enjoyable shaving experience overall. Followed by Cade ASB, its tough to beat. I don't have Cade EDT so I have been using Captain's Choice North as a followup when I want a splash in addition to the ASB. However, the splash is certainly not required after that excellent ASB.

October 16th​ Occtober #7

Razor: Dovo 5/8
Soap: Occitane Cade

It seems like we are getting some late summer days, definitely too warm for TABACtober.

Excellent shaves this entire month, this soap is an all around top performer that hangs with the big boys of the soap world.

I'm considering continuing using L'occitane M-F until it's gone.

Yes, it definitely is a great shaving soap. I would have liked to use it more often during this Occtober, but when it is getting cold, I prefer using stronger scented soaps.

Yes, it definitely is a great shaving soap. I would have liked to use it more often during this Occtober, but when it is getting cold, I prefer using stronger scented soaps.

I can see that trouble is it's 73 F (23c) where I am right now, been that way most of the month. :lol:

Yes, at such temperatures, I understand you can use L'Occitane for the whole month. Around here, we are at the moment around 44 F (7c) and are heading towards freezing temperatures for the end of the week.

Yes, at such temperatures, I understand you can use L'Occitane for the whole month. Around here, we are at the moment around 44 F (7c) and are heading towards freezing temperatures for the end of the week.

Time to break out the heavily mentholated soaps then, I suppose?

Just kidding :laugh:

Does Switzerland have a national soap, like Old Spice or Williams mug in the US, or do ya'll use French/German/Italian depending on location & language/heritage?

Does Switzerland have a national soap, like Old Spice or Williams mug in the US, or do ya'll use French/German/Italian depending on location & language/heritage?

No national soap here, at least that I would be aware of. We have a few artisans producing shaving soaps, but these are mostly sold only on local markets.

Switzerland is definitely not a paradise for traditional wet shavers. Offerings in the stores are usually limited to canned goo as well as the shaving stuff of Palmolive and Tabac, and that's about it.

L'Occitane has a pretty extensive number of boutiques across the country, so Cade as well as their whole range of shaving creams and corresponding ASB are easy to find.

Thankfully, there are a few specialized shops for wet shaving stuff. I am working within walking distance of the largest one. The shop offers a wide range of stuff, mainly from the UK, like Taylor, Trumper, Truefitt, Harris, Penhaligon, St James, Tabula Rasa, Musgo, Proraso or Acca Kappa.

Top Bottom