What's new

L'Occitane Vetyver

After all the vetiver talk, I decided to pick up a bottle of the L'Occitane version. This is my first ever experience with Vetyver scents, so I wasn't sure what to expect. In a nutshell, I am very impressed.

Colognes, for me, fall into a few different categories. There is the "I am a cologne, and I smell nice" category (Taylor, C-M, ...). Then there is the "I smell intensely of the elements I consist of (Penhaligon's, ...). Lastly, there is the category of fragrances that evoke a mood, a memory, an emotion. The L'O Vetyver is one of those.

It starts off grassy. Not the grassiness of a well-manicured lawn, but rather evocative of tall fields of wild grass swaying in an Autumn breeze. You get a bit of herbaceousness, perhaps the faint aroma of rosemary and sage gracing a full Thanksgiving table. As it drys down, it turns smoky, rich, and haunting. It is the whiff of fall leaves burning, walks in the woods, and Halloween approaching. Every now and then I get surprised by a sudden whiff of sweetness. Perhaps the memory of hot apple-cider doughnuts cooking while you are out apple picking with the family, or the sudden burst of scent when you walk on the verbena growing in the garden. Very heady, wonderful stuff that for me is the essence of Autumn. I got almost wistful driving to work, listening to acoustic Grateful Dead and smelling the vetyver. I began to think of the change of seasons, things moving on, etc. All in all, I can heartily recommend this fragrance.

Well put Scotto. Being a L'Occitane Vetyver lover too, I am now afraid I'll gain weight with all of those autumnal scents (Holloween Trick or Treat and Thanksgiving?) if I wear it too often. :smile: They, L'Occitane, have managed to produce a really great fragrance with Vetiver.
Great writeup.

I really should try this stuff. I really like the idea of it evolving into a smoky scent. When I tried the Creed Vetiver, although I liked it, I felt it was a little too "soapy". This sounds like it would be much more to my liking.

Not sure it would work, but I could soak a cotton ball in it, put it in a ziploc, and mail it to you. May be a waste of time, but if you are interested, PM me.

Not sure it would work, but I could soak a cotton ball in it, put it in a ziploc, and mail it to you. May be a waste of time, but if you are interested, PM me.

'Tis the season. 1/2 decade later. Oh how I love autumn weather and associated scents!

It's one of the most pleasant and fresh fragrances I have. It's like a partner to Old Spice for me. It lasts a good long time and I enjoy it in any weather. It shouldn't offend anyone either.

One of my favorite vetivers and I love vetivers. My recommendation, knowing how terrible L'Occitane's marketing leaders are I'd stock a few bottles. 4 Voleurs was another excellent scent and was discontinued and I'm really rationing that one so much I don't think I've used it this entire year.

The body wash is also an excellent compliment to the frag.

4 Voleurs was another excellent scent and was discontinued and I'm really rationing that one so much I don't think I've used it this entire year.

Aaack! I adored the 4 voleurs. Lovely lovely herbaceous woods. Tried it last spring but never got around to buying it.

One of my favorite vetivers and I love vetivers. My recommendation, knowing how terrible L'Occitane's marketing leaders are I'd stock a few bottles. 4 Voleurs was another excellent scent and was discontinued and I'm really rationing that one so much I don't think I've used it this entire year.

The body wash is also an excellent compliment to the frag.

4 Voleurs is still available (in limited stock) in Europe, well at least in The Netherlands.

Since I started breaking into the realms of colognes, this is my favorite so far. Exactly what I was looking to have for the fall and winter. Very earthy, dry yet sweet, and sticks around with 1 or 2 sprays. For $48, my best cologne purchase yet!!

Scotto,

I find L'Occitane Vetyver to be an excellent fragrance, and has made it into my three (3) goto fragrances (the other two (2) are Musgo Real Splash, and DR Harris Sandalwood).

Excellent stuff :001_smile

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Everyone seems to have good things to say but I have never tried their products. Where can I get the best price or at least a sample?

Vetyver is a great scent and L'Occitane does a great job and at a reasonable price.
I'm getting ready for the fall and vetiver clouds while shaving...Cyrus salter, qed ...vetiver nirvana

Even though I love everything Vetyver, I didn't quite warm up to L'occitane Vetyver. I tested it a few years ago and don't remember what exactly it was like. It could have been the cypress and/or nutmeg, as I don't like either of these notes.

Top Bottom