What's new

L'Occitane Soap Lather Issues

Is it just me, or do others have problems lathering their L'Occitane Soap? I originally bought this soap as a puck and a few weeks later bought the little tin bowl for it from the L'Occitane shop. The soap moves about in it's tin when I try to lather it which makes it tricky, but I don't have any trouble loading up the brush, but the lather always seems watery and thin. It dissipates on the face pretty quickly also. Have tried lathering from the puck, in a bowl and on the face but always with the same results.

It's a pity because I really love the scent and it goes well with the L'Occitane after shave balms.

cheers

Andrew

my L'Occitane aka Cade soap lathered ok.
in my case, i face-lathered from the butt of the puck, heavily.
not the thickest, but acceptable.
nice scent, as you mention.

cade l'occitane kent colonial thayers july 22 2020.jpg

I haven't used it in a few years. Another case of reformulation of a good product to turn it into a mediocre one.

The old one was good. They reformulated a few months back; the new version is an abomination.
Aahh, That would explain it - I quite like the L'Occitane products and thought the soap would be as good but apparently not.

The stuff is expensive however, which is probably why they can afford to sponsor an entry in the Vendee Globe around the world race

1613434899257.png

cheers
andrew

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have an older jar of cade and no trouble lathering that cream. The scent isn’t a top favorite. Disappointing to read about a new formula. I bought some artisan shave soap in Canada once that lathered up like regular soap but then the soap bubbles just disappeared in no time flat. Just like you are describing. Very disappointing. It’s like hand soap.

Tried it a few years back. I could not get it to lather properly, but still tried to shave with it. Then I discovered it burns my skin on 2nd pass and threw it away.

Face burning is one thing that is YMMW adn can't be helped. About bad lather...I think this soap strongly disagrees with hard water

When this post came to my attention, my order for this soap was already en route. It arrived today. I decided to give it a fair shake and had precisely the same experience as @Mouette and @samhain666. There seems to be an upper limit to how much lather it can generate, and it is not even sufficient despite reloading the brush; I even had to finish the shave with a tube of Derby lemon shave cream out of frustration. My whole face had razor burn and the alum pass was hell. So far my worst performing soap acquisition. I now understand why no physical L'occitane store here sells them but the aftershave. They should really roll back to the original formula. Currently, it is essentially a low lathering shower soap.

I don't know if this is relevant to its performance, but, the puck dries very quickly and it's surface feels like candle wax.

my L'Occitane aka Cade soap lathered ok.
in my case, i face-lathered from the butt of the puck, heavily.
not the thickest, but acceptable.
nice scent, as you mention.

View attachment 1223657
Interesting, my soap after the shave look to have some "dead zones" where it seems to be missing some color.

loccitane.jpg

I would definitely give this soap a second chance. Just not looking forward to it after today. :(

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Eau des Baux is one of my favorite colognes, but I don't see this name appearing often on favorite soap lists.

Top Bottom