What's new

L'Occitane Cade Soap

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Works for me, I've gone through almost two pucks and really enjoy the mild scent.

I started using it during the famous Cade Challenge in late 2010 (pre-3017 days!)

You can learn an awful lot about Cade reading through that thread!

I wasn't too impressed, but back then I didn't have much experience with soaps. I'd like to know if there are other soaps which fit into the beautiful container that I still own.
most glycerin soaps can be softened to fit the container if needed, other than that then just a soft soap may do. Razorock has the blue fougere block, you can probably fill it up at least five times with it, the downside is the looks of it as at least when you just press it on the container it be irregular, but that is bound to be solved with regular use. if you decide to do it with a glycerin soap, depending on how much you soften it, I think that with the container being metal if you let it sit on top of your fridge with the puck on it for long enough it may jus adjust to the container. I have not tried it, but it is a good experiment as I doubt that it would get not enough to mess with the soap's properties. another method which is more time consuming would be to grate the soap and pack it into the bowl and then add a bit of water for it to stick then let it dry. another option would be to go on a kindof double boiler method, just heat up water on a pan, then use another heat resistant container to prop the metal container so that the edge sits above water level, then wait for it to soften and mold to the bowl, you probably can push it in before it melts if you are worried about messing the soap up.

I like it enough that it is in my regular rotation. I find lathering it easier with a boar brush and the scent very faint. The container is over priced even if it is thick aluminum. I was shocked that the container was $30 and did not come with even a sample sized puck. I bought it anyway, but that rubs me wrong!

For shame! You never buy from L'Occitane without using their frequent 20% off coupons!

I love it—I find it easy to lather and my skin feels soft post shave. I’ll dispute that you need to buy the aluminum container. I put my puck in an empty Razorock plastic soap container—it fits perfectly. Good for my wallet and good for the environment to reuse.

The juniper scent of Cade soap is amazing. It's what pine needles would smell like if they were Elven. Wish the scent were a bit stronger. The lather performance is only so-so, but with the help of a small amount of shaving cream to make an uberlather, the performance is greatly enhanced.

I haven't used it in a while but the last puck I used was really good. Better than PdP IMO if you're comparing to other French soaps. It's not better than lots of current artisan soaps but the price is pretty good, it performs well, and it has a nice scent.

Interesting. I wonder if there’s batch variance at play. I’ve been using Cade and pdp for over a decade. I think pdp does everything better. I keep the Cade because the scent is so good.

That said, I suppose different water could make them react differently.

Works for me, I've gone through almost two pucks and really enjoy the mild scent.

I started using it during the famous Cade Challenge in late 2010 (pre-3017 days!)

You can learn an awful lot about Cade reading through that thread!

Dude! Blast from the past. I was part of that. I still have my old school tarnished container. I made it through about 3/4 of my old puck during that challenge.

This is not a good soap. It takes a lot of time and work to lather and does not give you the thick slick lather that glistens that new artisan soap makers can provide now. I found it to be airy and thin. Soap has come a very long way. It does smell amazing and luckily I consider the aftershave balm the best in the business and that is how I get that lovely scent during my shaves.

My wife loves the stuff and has gone through a couple tubs over the years. I used it and have no complains, though it’s pricey for what I tend to use (I’m a cheapskate... and use a lot of Arko).

Really wonderful scent, IMO... and I’m not a smelly soaps kind of guy. It’s certainly worth a try. She got a couple other soaps for her birthday... but she might get one under the tree this Christmas.

i like cade...on my second puck of it among a couple dozen others...i havent used it in about a year but only because i've been sidetracked with others...but this thread will make me use it in the morning. i like the juniper scent and it works nicely for me.

I’ve used two pucks, I think, and have a few stashed. Performance is good and the scent is excellent. When I get off the Portuguese cream kick, I’ll dedicate a couple months to Cade.

As a soap it is not my thing it gives me a dry skin. And I used it when not used to hard soap so a bit more difficult to get going.
I ditched the soap years ago but the wonderful metal bowl I am still using daily but now filled with a piece of stirling menthol pre shave soap instead.

I am French, so I like it... But there are a few issues with it.

The soap container is not very well made, it's probably best to use it in a deeper container.

There is a certain point if you use a few more droplets of water than necessary you'll get a foam rather than good lather, so practice is necessary.

I personally prefer the Cade shaving cream way more.

There is a certain point if you use a few more droplets of water than necessary you'll get a foam rather than good lather, so practice is necessary.

I've noticed the amount water or water vs. soap ratio to be important with other soaps too. Some soaps are more picky than others. Sometimes happened to me in a hurry that too much water was left to brush and then also at the same time did not rub enough with soap...

I've noticed the amount water or water vs. soap ratio to be important with other soaps too. Some soaps are more picky than others. Sometimes happened to me in a hurry that too much water was left to brush and then also at the same time did not rub enough with soap...

I agree re: other soaps!

This is today using Cade. Basically I let the soap bloom, used the brush for 45sec - 1 min inside the cade, then worked it up in a larger bowl for 2-3 minutes and had enough creamy lather for 3-4 shaves.

IMG_1206.jpeg

The juniper scent of Cade soap is amazing. It's what pine needles would smell like if they were Elven. Wish the scent were a bit stronger. The lather performance is only so-so, but with the help of a small amount of shaving cream to make an uberlather, the performance is greatly enhanced.
Cade is one scent I just don't get tired of. Its a really good soap that does everything reasonably well. I can always get an irritation free BBS shave, but its the scent that keeps it in the den. To me, it lathers and performs much like other hard milled French soaps like PDP. I used to uber lather French soaps too. Now I just load longer with a synthetic brush and I get very serviceable lather without changing that wonderful Cade scent.

Top Bottom