What's new

L'Occitane Cade shaving soap

Just wanted to post a quick review here about this soap as I've just received a puck of it as a Christmas gift from my older brother (proud to say I converted him to traditional shaving)

Simply put, I figured like most shops you find in malls, their products look good, smell good, and the workers rave about them, but they end up just under performing their own hype. So I took it with me traveling here to England, so i have something to shave with while we spend the holidays with the In-laws
(most of my shave creams weight volumes aren't TSA approved and I couldn't be bothered to buy a travel size container and scoop out some ect... Yea I was lazy in that moment of packing.)

I thought this product was just some other mall promoted nonsense that they package fancy and charge high for something that doesn't work that great.. well NOT THIS SOAP!!!

This stuff actually impressed the hell out of me. Which made me think, wow I should of purchased some of this before as I pass that store multiple times a month.

1. Lather: Easy to load (30-45 seconds in my case was more than enough and it didn't bubble up or drench down while on my face. Stayed dense and creamy each and every time I applied.
2. Slickness: Left great amounts of slickness, I actually managed to do a clean up pass without re-lathering.
3. Scent: This soap smells excellent. Its the perfect soap to use before heading out on the town or going to a social gathering. The scent actually held up for at least 2 hours after I used it. (Post shave I applied Nivea aftershave balm and could still smell the Cade.
4. Post shave: My face didn't feel dry, had no burn, and actually felt like I moisturized even before I put on aftershave.
5. Family approval: My wife loved the scent, and my daughter actually gave me a long hug just to sniff me. For all you family men out there, you know what I mean when I say its great to use a product that your wife n kids can enjoy.

So for those of you who have yet to use this product, I give L'Occitane my official seal of approval!!!

IMO It's not an expensive soap, but its not relatively cheap either. It retails for about $12.00 for a 3.5oz Puck, so that's about $3.43 an ounce!

If money is a factor in how you purchase products, then I'd say purchase this just when You want to have a great smelling soap in your Rotation for those "heading out" shaves or special occasion shaves. (I normally try to stay within the $2-$3 dollar range per ounce when buying a soap/cream unless its something I freaking love like TOBS. But that's just my opinion to getting good stuff without breaking the bank)

Hope this review was helpful to you gents. I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

Attachments

• $10863477_964379896924629_785438862_n.jpg
    $10863477_964379896924629_785438862_n.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 868
Nice review. Started using Cade two weeks ago and love it!

Thanks! hey if you dont mind my asking.. You mentioned you've been using it for 2 weeks.. how would you say is the life span looking on this soap? Would you say it diminishes quickly or do you think this will actually last about a month or more? I shave every 2 days.. so i average 15 shaves a month, give or take 1 or two for outings and such..

Thanks! hey if you dont mind my asking.. You mentioned you've been using it for 2 weeks.. how would you say is the life span looking on this soap? Would you say it diminishes quickly or do you think this will actually last about a month or more? I shave every 2 days.. so i average 15 shaves a month, give or take 1 or two for outings and such..

Still too early to say. I've shaved 10 times in the last 2 weeks and used Cade 5 times. I have barely made a dent in it. Can still clearly read the stamping. I think it will last quite a while, but am sure more experienced members will be able to comment.

Still too early to say. I've shaved 10 times in the last 2 weeks and used Cade 5 times. I have barely made a dent in it. Can still clearly read the stamping. I think it will last quite a while, but am sure more experienced members will be able to comment.

Yea that's one thing I've been dying to know, cause I've used other soaps before and some just refused to die, while others seem to go quick, like if you used them every day they wouldnt last a month.. So before I go and purchase more of the Cade, I'd like to know how it holds out.. Funny enough I have a Soap Commander 0.5oz cube sample.. 5 shaves and its still a brick... That's quality craftsmanship

I used my Cade puck tonight. It was my r3d shave with it (cheating on my 3017 of RR CiT) in preparation for a possible Christmas morning shave since wifey loves the scent. This was a very nice shave. My first 2 outings were not great but that was just me not dialed in. I started by adding water to the top of the puck while I got the kids ready for bed and showered. Before showering, I started soaking my RR Amici brush. After my shower, which I used the Cade pebble soap and the Cade shower gel (as a shampoo), I started shook the excess water from my brush and loaded for 45 seconds. I took the loaded brush to a soup mug to start lathering. After a nice thick lather was built, I too it to my face and finished lathering there. This soap takes a little more water than I expected (my first 2 outings were ok but the lather was a little dry). All I can say is wow, this is some great lather. My shave hardware was a Milord fitted with a Rapira (3rd shave). The shave was fantastic. To finish off the shave, I followed it up with Myrsol Agua Balsamica (I dislike balms). I love the scent and performance of the L'Occitane products I've tried to date (pebble soaps, Cade show gel, cade shaving puck, and Cade and Vetiver EdT). If only they made a Cade splash I would be in Cade heaven but for now, Myrsol Agua Balsamica does a great job with a great complimentary scent

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Yea that's one thing I've been dying to know, cause I've used other soaps before and some just refused to die, while others seem to go quick, like if you used them every day they wouldnt last a month.. So before I go and purchase more of the Cade, I'd like to know how it holds out.. Funny enough I have a Soap Commander 0.5oz cube sample.. 5 shaves and its still a brick... That's quality craftsmanship

Be confident that Cade's soap is very hard and will most likely out last any other soap you have tried. While I do rotate several soaps, after 1 year of using this soap, I myself can still make out the L'Occitane writing on my soap. It will last, a long, long time, no need to use it sparingly.

Welcome to the Cade club! I've been using my puck for nearly four months now and it's still got a ton of volume left. I have also become a tremendous fan of the Cade aftershave balm. It is admittedly expensive as heck, but you do not need to use much at all, so my first tube has lasted me for the past four months and will probably go for one more. I also use the pebble soap (only available in stores or if you purchase the 3-pack of soaps online), but it doesn't last as much as I'd like. Will probably get the cologne in the future so I can have a scent which matches the soap and aftershave.

Be confident that Cade's soap is very hard and will most likely out last any other soap you have tried. While I do rotate several soaps, after 1 year of using this soap, I myself can still make out the L'Occitane writing on my soap. It will last, a long, long time, no need to use it sparingly.

Wow a year? whats your rotation period?

Welcome to the Cade club! I've been using my puck for nearly four months now and it's still got a ton of volume left. I have also become a tremendous fan of the Cade aftershave balm. It is admittedly expensive as heck, but you do not need to use much at all, so my first tube has lasted me for the past four months and will probably go for one more. I also use the pebble soap (only available in stores or if you purchase the 3-pack of soaps online), but it doesn't last as much as I'd like. Will probably get the cologne in the future so I can have a scent which matches the soap and aftershave.

I'll definitely have to give that a shot!

For me the L'Occitane Cade shaving cream is just as good as the soap. The Cade aftershaves are top notch as well, but they seem to get discontinued and then brought back again. The only L'Occitane item that was a disappointment was the aluminum shaving bowl that is available with the soap. The bowl was thin and reacted badly with hard water and oxidized fairly quick. Customer service at my L'Occitane shop was excellent and they gave me a full refund of the bowl, allowed me to keep the used soap puck and gave me a new soap puck for free.

Cade is really good stuff. I prefer the soap to the cream, but I usually end up superlathering -- load the brush, lather in a bowl and when it starts to thicken up I add a pea-size amount of the cream.

I find that the lather doesn't look as thick and rich as others (Palmolive, Speick, etc) but its performance is on par with them. What sets Cade apart, IMHO, is the excellent scent, which strikes that perfect balance of being noticeable and lasting without being overpowering. It's also a relatively good value.

For me the L'Occitane Cade shaving cream is just as good as the soap. The Cade aftershaves are top notch as well, but they seem to get discontinued and then brought back again. The only L'Occitane item that was a disappointment was the aluminum shaving bowl that is available with the soap. The bowl was thin and reacted badly with hard water and oxidized fairly quick. Customer service at my L'Occitane shop was excellent and they gave me a full refund of the bowl, allowed me to keep the used soap puck and gave me a new soap puck for free.

Thats awesome! and particularly why I stear clean of metal boals for my soaps and lather.. I go with go old fashion ceramic or plastic

Cade is really good stuff. I prefer the soap to the cream, but I usually end up superlathering -- load the brush, lather in a bowl and when it starts to thicken up I add a pea-size amount of the cream.

I find that the lather doesn't look as thick and rich as others (Palmolive, Speick, etc) but its performance is on par with them. What sets Cade apart, IMHO, is the excellent scent, which strikes that perfect balance of being noticeable and lasting without being overpowering. It's also a relatively good value.

That's a definite. I'm absolutely loving the scent power on this soap!

It's cute to see newbs discover and love the classics :thumbup:

Cade is great stuff. I haven't tried the reformulation but by all reports it's as good or better than the original, which is awesome in almost every way. I hope they keep producing it and don't mess it up.

In fact, L'Occitane in general is a great company. They have this silly habit of discontinuing great stuff only to bring it back several years later, but other than that I've been impressed with everything I've gotten from them. I own 4 of their colognes and get complimented on all all of them (especially L'Occitan and the new Cade), I absolutely ADORE the cedarwood soap and I wish they'd bring out a cologne or lotion to match it. The Vetyver cologne is a classic in my fragrance wardrobe, along with Eau des Beaux in the cooler months. Even my mother loves their products, and every year for Christmas, she asks for hand cream from them.

It's cute to see newbs discover and love the classics :thumbup:

Cade is great stuff. I haven't tried the reformulation but by all reports it's as good or better than the original, which is awesome in almost every way. I hope they keep producing it and don't mess it up.

In fact, L'Occitane in general is a great company. They have this silly habit of discontinuing great stuff only to bring it back several years later, but other than that I've been impressed with everything I've gotten from them. I own 4 of their colognes and get complimented on all all of them (especially L'Occitan and the new Cade), I absolutely ADORE the cedarwood soap and I wish they'd bring out a cologne or lotion to match it. The Vetyver cologne is a classic in my fragrance wardrobe, along with Eau des Beaux in the cooler months. Even my mother loves their products, and every year for Christmas, she asks for hand cream from them.

I'll be honest and state I didnt even know about L'Occitane until I saw the stores pop up in my local malls and didn't even then give it a look til my brother purchased me the Cade puck lol

Cade was the first soap that I ever finished an entire puck. I had well over 100 shaves from it. My best results were by starting with a relatively dry brush, face lathering while slowly adding water resulting in a dense and slick lather. It is a harder soap, so you may need to load a bit longer than some softer soaps. I usually loaded for about thirty seconds.

Cade for me lathered like trumper's lime, which was so bad it made me angry. Maybe it is my water?

Glad you guys like it.

Top Bottom