What's new

L'Occitane CADE Shaving Soap-Vive la Provence

H Gents,
Here comes the long overdue "Yet Another French Shaving Soap Review" I promised so long ago.
L'Occitane produces a line of men's toiletries using essential oil of Juniper as a part of their formulation. The fragrance is delightful and very clean. L'Occitane identifies these products as their CADE formulation. Today I used two of them, the shaving soap and aftershave balm. I have a snapshot of my Shavemac brush after producing four passes of a rich, slick, and exceptionally pleasant lather.

full

Please note the shiny metal bowl in which the soap is sold. It adds a nice touch to your shaving den and is something out of the ordinary, just like the CADE shaving soap.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
roughrider said:
Ron, where did you pick up this awesome soap? Also, how would you compare it to the Floris soap?
I purchased it at Essentials in nearby Cassady Square, but it is available through the L'Occitane web site.
As far as a comparison, how do you compare GREAT to GREAT? They really both are super soaps. The Floris shaving soaps have the benefit of bathing your visage in the elegant Floris fragrances of JF or Elite. The L'Occitane has the distinctly fresh Juniper, Macadamia, et al fragrances blended in the CADE complex. It's the old story, I can't decide which I like better:a36:, so I indulged myself and have both, actually all three. :ihih:

Good stuff, indeed. On my visage, the L'Occitane performs better than the Floris. I have a sample of the CADE balm that I need to try out, also.

Man, you lather well. Thats what sucks about being a newbie. I had a hard time lathering up the L'Occitane. I loved the fragrance though.

Steven

Steven,

I have studied at Ron's Institute of Hard Soap Lathering. The master will likely chime in himself, but try this next time: Soak your brush in very hot tap water. Don't shake any water out. Holding the soap at an angle over your shaving vessel (you do have one, don't you :wink: ), begin to swirl on the soap. Lots of water will come out of your brush, help loosen up the soap, and spill over into your lathering vessel. When the bristles look good and frothy, put the soap down, and whip up a furious lather in the shaving vessel. Enjoy! If you are using a glycerin-based soap, you might want to check out my tutorial in the Pictorial section.

Scotto said:
Steven,

I have studied at Ron's Institute of Hard Soap Lathering. The master will likely chime in himself, but try this next time: Soak your brush in very hot tap water. Don't shake any water out. Allow the brush to drip until it stops dripping. Holding the soap at an angle over your shaving vessel (you do have one, don't you :wink: ), begin to swirl on the soap. Lots of water will come out of your brush, help loosen up the soap, and spill over into your lathering vessel. When the bristles look good and frothy, put the soap down, and whip up a furious lather in the shaving vessel. Enjoy! If you are using a glycerin-based soap, you might want to check out my tutorial in the Pictorial section.
AH! Stated like a true disciple. My addition in RED is the only other instruction needed.

Austin said:
Ron, very nice! How do you like Vetiver? How long does it last on your person?
Like the Vetiver? No, no, no! Love the vetiver! It is really splendid. I prefer it to the Creed Original and Roger et Gallet. It lasts four to six hours, depending on my activity, attire, and stress level. By the way, I finally got to smell L'Occitane Eau du Badian, really fine! The dry-down is really great. There is black currant and (while they don't admit to it) neroli. What a grand fragrance! The store only had the tester, none for sale. I begged, I whimpered, I stomped my feet and held my breath to no avail. Argh the humanity of it. :drool:

Scotto said:
Steven,

I have studied at Ron's Institute of Hard Soap Lathering.

Very difficult to get accepted into this institute of higher learning. The homework is very demanding. Lather, lather, lather, till you drop.

Jerry

Hi again folks,
Just a heads up-L'Occitane vetyver is apparently not discontinued (perhaps I'm the only paranoid who had feared this, but...) as it is apparently available again on their website.
It is the best vetyver IMHO that I have smelled, although I've not smelled Roger&Gallet. It definitely beats Creed and Guerlain, the two I've smelled.
John P

JohnP said:
Hi again folks,
Just a heads up-L'Occitane vetyver is apparently not discontinued (perhaps I'm the only paranoid who had feared this, but...) as it is apparently available again on their website.
It is the best vetyver IMHO that I have smelled, although I've not smelled Roger&Gallet. It definitely beats Creed and Guerlain, the two I've smelled.
John P

John, you should try Floris Vetiver.

I have not smelled the Floris vetiver, although I've heard good about it. Its one of those I'd have to buy just to smell it, and not to mention every vetiver I've tried so far trips SWMBO's gag reflex.....
I, however, like it. She hates mint, too....go figure.
I do think I'm going to buy the L'Occitane vetyver in spite of her, though.
John P.

Ron, does the L'Occitane soap lather up that well? If it does, maybe it's worth my while to kick in 17$ to buy some. But, I want your honest opinion.

Jeff

smoothfacejeff said:
Ron, does the L'Occitane soap lather up that well? If it does, maybe it's worth my while to kick in 17$ to buy some. But, I want your honest opinion.

Jeff
Jeff,
The L'Occitane shaving soap is a super latherer. You can see in the picture below what my Shavemac looks like even after four passes. I pulled that up from the brush at the end of my shave.

full

Makes me want to break my rotation and go use it tomorrow.:w00t:

Last edited by a moderator:
The quality of the L'O lather is wonderful. Very rich. It ranks up there among my favorites, and gives a great shave. Is it worth the $$ ? That is for you to decide.

I've been using this for a while now too. For some reason i always seem to forget how good it is. This was my first soap for wetshaving and SCAD kicked in so i bought other stuff and this poor soap seems to get neglected. Used it this morning. Out of all my soaps this one lathers the best. The fragrance is rather light in comparison to the QED sticks, but its very clean and pleasent smelling.

Ron, Scotto, thanks a million for your kind advice, I'm going to buy that soap and shave with it tomorrow evening and I'll give it an honest opinion. Ron, have you ever tried Rivivage soap? Is it ever fantastic!

Jeff

Top Bottom