What's new

Locally available shave creams

Here in the Midwest we have few local shave cream options.
1 Cremo, no lather but slick
2 VDH butter, not tried
3C.O. Bigelow, made by Proraso, sold at Bath and Body, like it

What other locally available brands are out there? Is the C.O. Bigelow the same as regular Proraso?

All i have i bought at stores i walk to, two different Prorasos and Maca Root from Body Shop. All work great and i can live with the little scent that is present.
dave

Here in the Midwest we have few local shave cream options.
1 Cremo, no lather but slick
2 VDH butter, not tried
3C.O. Bigelow, made by Proraso, sold at Bath and Body, like it

What other locally available brands are out there? Is the C.O. Bigelow the same as regular Proraso?

The general consensus is that they're the same.

Other widely available creams:

Pacific Shaving Caffeinated @ Target
Pacific Shaving Natural @ Christmas Tree Shoppes
Maca Root Shave Cream @ The Body Shop
Cade @ L'Occitane
Gillette Pure @ most retailers

Also, keep an eye on Marshall's, T.J. Maxx, etc. Occasionally, I've found merchandise from AOS, The Body Shop, Rockwell, Proraso, and VDH heavily discounted in these stores.

Finally, if a cream discussed here looks interesting to you, try googling it with the name of your town. When I did that, I found a shave shop hidden inside a local historic house parts store.

And of course, depending on WHERE in the mid-west you are, you may find yourself near(ish) a shave shop. If I lived within a couple of hours of Adrian, MI, for example, I'd check out Maggard's. But you may not be as obsessed as I am.

The general consensus is that they're the same.

Other widely available creams:

Pacific Shaving Caffeinated @ Target
Pacific Shaving Natural @ Christmas Tree Shoppes
Maca Root Shave Cream @ The Body Shop
Cade @ L'Occitane
Gillette Pure @ most retailers

Also, keep an eye on Marshall's, T.J. Maxx, etc. Occasionally, I've found merchandise from AOS, The Body Shop, Rockwell, Proraso, and VDH heavily discounted in these stores.

Finally, if a cream discussed here looks interesting to you, try googling it with the name of your town. When I did that, I found a shave shop hidden inside a local historic house parts store.

And of course, depending on WHERE in the mid-west you are, you may find yourself near(ish) a shave shop. If I lived within a couple of hours of Adrian, MI, for example, I'd check out Maggard's. But you may not be as obsessed as I am.

Great advise and ideas. I will have to try Target and TJ max, Ross etc to see if they have anything. It is really hit or miss with even big retailers, one Wally has a mens shave section that is five feet the next will have 15 feet of stuff.

Depending on the size and diversity of the town you live in or live nearby, I've had success finding shaving stuff at international market. For instance, I located Palmolive shave cream at an Indian market.

Small, independently owned drugstores, the "Mom & Pop" pharmacies, often yield shave supplies.

Depending on the size and diversity of the town you live in or live nearby, I've had success finding shaving stuff at international market. For instance, I located Palmolive shave cream at an Indian market.

Small, independently owned drugstores, the "Mom & Pop" pharmacies, often yield shave supplies.
I live St. Louis metro so we have a diverse group of people including Indian, Eastern European and Asian. So that is certainly worth a try.

Burlington sometimes have shaving supplies, more miss than hit than the others.

Knife stores are another place to try.

As suggested I checked at Marshalls and Tj Max and it paid off. I found a VDH Badger brush for $4.99,nice brush for the price. There are reviews on this brush already here but let me say that it is a good buy at this price. I already have the VDH Boar brush and like it for the backbone and lather abilities but the Badger is much softer. I assume that this is a lower quality "pure Badger brush. Maybe the quality has improved slightly in the last few years, the smell is a little strong and several hairs fell out but it has enough backbone to not flop over. Time will tell if it holds up, my VDH Boar brush has lasted nicely, 2 months of daily use.

Failed to take pictures, but our local Target (about 30 minutes from Tampa) has really expanded their shaving section. They now have AOS goods. Creams, balms, travel kits and a DE as well. I believe all priced comparable to the actual stores. Not sure how long it will remain, I’m sure it all depends on sell through.

I wonder if the cheap shaving stuff at TJ Max was from a store like Target who tried to sell wet shaving stuff but found it a hard sell. They had a lot of beard wax and oils as well. AOS is on the more pricey side which makes it a interesting pick.

I am sure they are but Target is not a high end store, that is why I think it is a interesting pick. We have a AOS store in St. Louis but it is in a high end mall.

Also, research what you're buying. There aren't many classically "lathering" shaving creams available in the wild these days. Don't grab something that's in a tube and assume it's going to lather with a brush. It should say so on the package, but to be sure, ask here. I'm sure someone would have tried it and can tell you if it's worth it.

Our local grocery chain in Ohio, Giant Eagle, carries a small section of Art of Shaving products (not at every location). They usually only have unscented and lavender, sometimes sandalwood.

I am going to try Burlington, we do not have Giant Eagle and I do now what you mean, Masonjarjar, about not all creams lathering, Cremo for example. When I first posted this I did not know about the AOS at West county mall, maybe I will give it a shot but it is about an hours drive so I would already have to be out that way. There is a St. Charles shaving supply which is also about a hours drive but I think it might only be internet sales. It is amazing what you can find with a little help.

Top Bottom