What's new

Local Source for Neatsfoot

Try a cobbler/shoe repair store.

+1. Or else a tack shop.

Look for Lexol products specifically. There's a leather cleaner (orange bottle), a conditioner (brown bottle), and their neatsfoot (cream colored bottle). You may be fine with just the cleaner and conditioner, but their neatsfoot is an excellent, non-greasy product. IMHO, Lexol is the best leather care stuff available.

Last edited:
+1. Or else a tack shop.

Look for Lexol products specifically. There's a leather cleaner (orange bottle), a conditioner (brown bottle), and their neatsfoot (cream colored bottle). You may be fine with just the cleaner and conditioner, but their neatsfoot is an excellent, non-greasy product. IMHO, Lexol is the best leather care stuff available.

Lexol enthusiast? Or are do you sell their fine products, Scott? :tongue:

Why not use sunflower oil or any other plant based oil ? It doesn't come from the ground (petroleum based) . My wife keeps it in the cabinet .

cityjim

So, would any shoe leather-type conditioner work just as well as neatsfoot oil to maintain the leather on a strop? I have plenty of Lexol.

I think that you need to be careful buying at a tack shop. The bottle should say 100% neetsfoot, or there is the possibility it's been mixed with petroleum distillates and other junk.
I finally gave up trying to find pure neetsfoot locally and have settled for a conditioner from Farnam from one of the local tack shops. Said to be "non-irritating" and to contain no waxes or silicones. I sure hope that it'll work, cuz I already treated one of my vintage strops with it!

Kiwi makes it-saw on website, looked in Target but couldn't find any. Straight Razor Design sells it, biut if you can find in a harware store or reputable shoe store go for it. I'm new into the straight razor scene and have purchased a small array of strops Ill, Jemico, Bismarck, STD Latigo, Lucas-latigo, felt & balsa, and paddle strops. A barber told me to use shave soap on a brush-did once, run your palm through & the skin's oils will smooth it out. I have Fromm's strop dressing & a hand me down tude of Dovo Yellow strop paste. I need to know how to clean & maintain the canvas side.

Top Bottom