What's new

Loan-Out Straight Razor

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It can be very difficult for a SR shaver to experience an edge prepared by another SR shaver. This is particularly so in areas that are more sparsely populated or have few SR users. Recently I have started lending out a SR that I have prepared for others to experience. So far, all has worked well.

The SR that I lend out is one that is excess to my current needs but also one that I enjoy shaving with, a T.R. Cadman & Sons ¾ Bengall. I already have 7 other Bengalls. Soon I might add a Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 to my loan-outs.

This is not an edge "competition" as every SR user has an edge-type that he or she prefers to shave with. It is just giving another B&B member a chance to experience another member's edge.

Due to postage costs, I limit my loan-outs to AU members only. I cover the outgoing postage, about USD 7, and the return postage is covered by the recipient. They normally keep and use the SR for a week or two.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
There is risk involved with lending out one of your SRs. It may get "lost" or even damaged. So far, I have never had a problem.

I refresh the blade's edge after each return. Each loan-out happens about once a month.

If you can, give a SR loan-out a try. I will start another thread for AU SR loan-outs.

Great idea. The Bengall makes a nice platform for loan outs. It’s a reference razor and lot of people have them. That standardises the razor so you are purely testing the edge.

I think it's a great idea. But I just want to know, we are lending out "spares" with no fear of getting damaged? What happens if/when it does get damaged?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I think it's a great idea. But I just want to know, we are lending out "spares" with no fear of getting damaged? What happens if/when it does get damaged?
If a loan-out SR is damaged by the user, the honourable thing to do is to tell the lender. I expect that most lenders will understand that accidents can happen and will communicate in good faith. They can then discuss whether it needs just repairing or replacement with similar.

My loan-outs are excess to my current needs and are not overly expensive, generally well under USD 50 in value.

With my last loan-out, the receiver asked me if he could refresh the edge his normal way. I agreed so that I could then experience his results. All part of the fun.

That is a great and generous way to help folks get into SR shaving. Well done.
What a great idea. I’ve been curious to try my hand, but concerned that I wouldn’t be good at it. Let’s just say, no one has ever called me “Mr. Dexterity.” Even picking up the postage both ways, I’d consider it were something like this available in the US.

My mums policy was “If you break it, you’ve bought it.” In other words, don’t go playing around with things that you can’t afford.

That’s the other nice thing with a Bengall. They’re not so expensive. If the worst should happen a small sum should fix things up amicably. That or offer to send a replacement of at least equal value.

What a great idea. I’ve been curious to try my hand, but concerned that I wouldn’t be good at it. Let’s just say, no one has ever called me “Mr. Dexterity.” Even picking up the postage both ways, I’d consider it were something like this available in the US.
It is surprising easy, as long as you never go sideways with the razor. I only use my right hand though, as I simply don't trust my left hand with a sharp object.

My way of helping newbies is to send them a GD66 with a good edge, no charge. Total cost for me with postage about £7 in the UK. If you can't shave with a GD with a method edge, well then you can't shave with a SR.

I have done this a few times, but unfortunately in the world we live, people don't always behave in the way we think they will. It would seem that some start with great enthusiasm, but when the reality of shaving with a straight dawns upon them, they loose interest.

I also get the feeling they are asking themselves what do I want in return. Nothing, I know it was difficult for me to start without a reference razor, and no direct contact with someone willing to help.

Happy to say that at least one of the guys I did this for has stuck with it, and a few years on we still communicate.

These days I am more careful to whom I make the offer.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My way of helping newbies is to send them a GD66 with a good edge, no charge. Total cost for me with postage about £7 in the UK. If you can't shave with a GD with a method edge, well then you can't shave with a SR.

I have done this a few times, but unfortunately in the world we live, people don't always behave in the way we think they will. It would seem that some start with great enthusiasm, but when the reality of shaving with a straight dawns upon them, they loose interest.

I also get the feeling they are asking themselves what do I want in return. Nothing, I know it was difficult for me to start without a reference razor, and no direct contact with someone willing to help.

Happy to say that at least one of the guys I did this for has stuck with it, and a few years on we still communicate.

These days I am more careful to whom I make the offer.
I believe that I would have similar results as you if I loaned some of my SRs out to n00bies. That is why I am aiming at those who are already addicted to SR shaving and only want to try out a different shaver's edge preparation.

I'm certain that Dave (Lightcs1776) was not seeking public praise, but in the spirit of this thread, as well as many other acts of generosity on B&B, he sent me a PM offering to send me a SR that he could spare, with the sole proviso that if I find that SR shaving is not for me, that I simply do the same and pass it on to another person that wants to give it a try. I have gratefully accepted. Thanks, Dave!

I love that you do this. It's such an awesome idea.

I'm exhausted and I can't be bothered to search the forums properly right this moment. Does anyone know of a current SR lending/pass-around for members on the US side of the pond?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I love that you do this. It's such an awesome idea.

I'm exhausted and I can't be bothered to search the forums properly right this moment. Does anyone know of a current SR lending/pass-around for members on the US side of the pond?
I haven't seen one in my travels. Perhaps you should start a thread in the Straight Razors>General Straight Razors Talk forum asking if anyone is willing to start a SR Loan-Out for the USA.

Top Bottom