What's new

Loading the brush - why so much?

I have to admit that when I first started wet shaving, I would load the brush for about 30 seconds, mostly because thats what every wet shaving tutorial video told you to do.
Now, I just load it for about 10 seconds and go. It still gives me plenty of lather for 3 passes. Ive also started by having my brush much drier when I load because I found that some of the lather would just spill over the side of the tub I was loading in or it would run down the handle of the brush over the course of the shave, so it was kind of a waste.
On the note of Youtube wet shavers taking this hobby to the level of having more soaps that they will need in several lifetimes, one thing to remember that for the more well-known Youtube shavers, a lot of their gear is sent to them by companies to try out. Obviously, not all of it is but a significant amount of it is.

I learn both what to do and what not to do
from videos, but when I see a barber who makes a living doing something, I personally pay attention. :a21:
For the price a barber charges for a shave ,he has to put on a good show . Yes a good prep is necessary for a comfortable shave . But all that extra “foam” is part of the show.

For the price a barber charges for a shave ,he has to put on a good show . Yes a good prep is necessary for a comfortable shave . But all that extra “foam” is part of the show.

If the barber only shaved off the foam I would agree. When I see him take the spline of the SR and reapply to bare areas, it tells me he is using the medium. When he make lather and uses it for three passes, it tells me he is using the lather.

I've been lathering for about a month and noticed how much I enjoy a good thick base from which to shave. I have noticed and developed a preference for certain lather qualities. I would never tell someone else they are wasting soap or criticize what they prefer.

You guys sound like you must have soft water; I have to load heavily in order to get something that resembles lather and doesn't dry up in 20 seconds. If I could get away with 10 seconds of light pressure for loading I certainly would.

If the barber only shaved off the foam I would agree. When I see him take the spline of the SR and reapply to bare areas, it tells me he is using the medium. When he make lather and uses it for three passes, it tells me he is using the lather.

I've been lathering for about a month and noticed how much I enjoy a good thick base from which to shave. I have noticed and developed a preference for certain lather qualities. I would never tell someone else they are wasting soap or criticize what they prefer.
I don’t think anyone is criticizing , at least I’m not . Just my experience , heavy foam is not any better than a slick film. You may need to add some water to keep it lubricated , a thin film tends to dry faster. Per the barber reapplying the lather , if he goes over an area twice he has to protect the skin. You don’t dry shave. If you like a thick lather , that’s your preference , I enjoy it at times also.

I don’t think anyone is criticizing , at least I’m not . Just my experience , heavy foam is not any better than a slick film. You may need to add some water to keep it lubricated , a thin film tends to dry faster. Per the barber reapplying the lather , if he goes over an area twice he has to protect the skin. You don’t dry shave. If you like a thick lather , that’s your preference , I enjoy it at times also.
I agree with your synopsis.

I do believe this is interesting enough to warrant a thread of it's own, though it's pretty on-topic here too. While I don't think I'll be wiping off lather any time soon, I will probably try pushing for the thinnest lather I can manage (again).
I was thinking the exact same thing. I wouldn't completely remove the lather, but I experiment with making it a lot thinner now. I'll start a separate thread on this.

I don’t mind going back to the puck for more soap, when I use my tube of proraso I have found myself squeezing more then I need. As when I’m done, I have enough lather for god knows how many more passes.

I think some guys have way too much product but that’s their personal and own finical decision, not mine.

I have noticed with my puck of colonel conk you don’t need to later it forever, like 30 seconds and it’s good to go!

Unfortunately, these videos showing ridiculous amounts of lather are a disservice to new shavers. Over the years I have gotten numerous emails and PMs from new shavers who complain they can't make lather like in the videos. My standard answer is that forget what your lather looks like but pay attention to how it performs.

Unfortunately, these videos showing ridiculous amounts of lather are a disservice to new shavers. Over the years I have gotten numerous emails and PMs from new shavers who complain they can't make lather like in the videos. My standard answer is that forget what your lather looks like but pay attention to how it performs.
Yes.

There is no reason to have your handle completely encased in lather. It will eventually degrade your brush having lather buried so deep.
A few swirls for me is generally enough.

Top Bottom