What's new

Loading from tub bad for a croap?

I load straight from the tub, rinse it off with cold water when I'm finished shaving and like others I leave it open to dry out before putting the lid back on it (the rinsing with cold water was a recommendation I picked up from the Phoenix & Beau website).

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I load from the tub and face lather 95% of the time. I also let the soap dry for a couple of hours before replacing the lid. I had one soap turn into a great pile of mush. One time. High end expensive artisan soap. Not sure what happened but it was just a one off occurrence. Don’t know that it had anything to do with the brush loading. Otherwise no issues.

I am with @BigFoot on this. Either way works for me as well unless I am using my Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl. Then it’s a scoop on the fingers.

That bowl is on my wish list, though I'm having trouble deciding between the regular and heavy duty versions. But why a technique specific to this bowl? (I ask in part because I just ordered a small, flexible artist's palette knife as a tool to scrape from tub to bowl, but now it occurs to me it might scratch the soft copper of I use it to spread the croap into a thin layer.)

Certainly not a croap aficionado here but I used 4 or 5 croaps over the years. Always loaded from tub without noticing anything bad happening to it.
If adding water to the croap is a concern, just squeeze the brush until there is no water inside the knot, then load.
That simple.

I always load from the tub and not had any problems over the last 10 years or so. I rinse off any remaining lather on the soap and leave to dry without the lid for at least 24 hours. None of that icky looking dried lather left on the puck this way either.

I don't quite get the scraping camp as whenever I have used a soap sample smeared in a bowl I've never got the same performance as loading from a full soap so can only imagine you wouldn't get as good performance from a scraped soap.

As I only have one tub of stirling black ice (it was a limited or seasonal scent I believe) I have always transferred enough for a week or so to an open Wilkinson blue tub. I loaded direct from there. As I enjoy the scent I wanted to preserve it. Also stirling soap is hard to get/expensive outside the US, I picked this one up from Pasteur's when I visited NY.

Perhaps I inadvertently was doing it correctly?
This is what I do as well. I don't know if loading directly from the tub is bad for a tub or not, but I prefer to scoop out a large sample and press it into a spare wooden D. R. Harris bowl. There are several advantages (for me anyway) to doing this. I find some containers (Cella and Proraso for example) too small for me to load some of my larger brushes. If I don't plan to finish the soap before moving on to another, I don't need to concern myself with ensuring the product is dry enough for storage. If I decide to finish the tub or puck, the sample size (usually 10 or 20 percent of the total) provides me with a rough estimate of how long it might take to finish the remainder. Doing it this way, I only need to pull out the original container for SOTD pics. I know not everyone will agree with my method or reasons, but this works for me.

Ok, wait. So I am suppose to leave top off the soap container for a few hours after use? Never thought of it?

If I load from the tube I turn the tube upside down so the less water enter the tube. Then I leave it open until the next shave ( about 24h later) then move on to the next soap.

As I only have one tub of stirling black ice (it was a limited or seasonal scent I believe) I have always transferred enough for a week or so to an open Wilkinson blue tub. I loaded direct from there. As I enjoy the scent I wanted to preserve it. Also stirling soap is hard to get/expensive outside the US, I picked this one up from Pasteur's when I visited NY.

Perhaps I inadvertently was doing it correctly?
Not sure from where you are but stirling is easy to get from Canada and the uk. Limited you will also find it in Spain and holland.

Not sure from where you are but stirling is easy to get from Canada and the uk. Limited you will also find it in Spain and holland.
Thanks. Someone posted a Dutch and Spanish link earlier in the thread. I'll have to investigate once my soap stock is considerably reduced.

Top Bottom