What's new

Loading a badger brush.

I recently bought a good badger brush, and the advice was to use paint brush strokes when lathering your face, as swirling motion could damage badger hair. My question is, does it damage the hair when loading soap? I usually load using swirling motions and if I bowl lather..although I usually apply the lather directly to my face after loading from the puck.
You just think you know everything, when another puzzle comes along!!

I tend to ‘paint’ when loading my brushes, so take this with (at least) a grain of salt! I also understand that some manufacturers, such as Simpsons, recommend a painting motion.

Many here use swilling motions to load and lather without obvious problems.

Look forward to other’s experience!

Its not a problem at all.
People use painting strokes to even out the lather after swirling.
The warning I would give to you is never press hard when doing so, be it loading or on the face. I have seen people plunging the brush up and down crushing hairs in an attempt to make a ridiculous lather. THIS will break hairs eventually as will pushing hard and nearly bottoming out the brush while swirling on your face. There is simply no need.
Light pressure, enough to splay the hair some and produce a good lather. Rinsing well, shake out well and brush lightly on a dry towel back and forth.
Good to go.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I swirl my Kent BK8 badger. I've had it for more years than I can remember and it has not given up a hair in years. I won't swear that other maker's brushes will hold up as well, but the idea of loading with brush strokes seems ridiculous to me.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It probably depends on how much pressure you apply when loading or swirling. We all seem to have a different method that works for us, but I think too much pressure can be a problem as in using a razor to shave.

I build lather on my face rather than in a bowl. I am a sloppy mess with lather and I love it. I don't abuse the brush, but I get my fingers in the hair or bristles and push the lather out. I build lather on my chin and move to where needed. I use all kinds of strokes including painting type to end. Maybe this is why I've never needed to break in a brush. My brush are:
1. PAA Atomic Rocket (synthetic)
2. Semogue 1305
3. Semogue 610
4. Omega 11047

Yeah, surprises... I recently purchased a 24mm silvertip badger and what I noticed is that it literally eating my soaps and creams in compared to my boars. I don't think it's abnormal but I was really surprised.

Sent from my RNE-L01 using Tapatalk

Hi Toma, I run my brush under warm water and squeeze it dry. I bloom the soap , barely covering it, than use it to make my lather. I now don't find it using more soap, just enough for 3 passes. If the brush is too wet, then it will take more soap, in my opinion. Lather has been superb for me.

Hi Toma, I run my brush under warm water and squeeze it dry. I bloom the soap , barely covering it, than use it to make my lather. I now don't find it using more soap, just enough for 3 passes. If the brush is too wet, then it will take more soap, in my opinion. Lather has been superb for me.
Thanks, will try next time.
What I find is that when I'm finished loading from bowl with a really damp brush my lather is actually shave ready and the brush is caked with lather. Which is fine, no complaints :) but I thought my omega 49 is a soap-eater... No it's not :D

Sent from my RNE-L01 using Tapatalk

Every brush and soap seems to be different. You certainly need to experiment! Another reason not tohave loads of gear. Get to know combinations that work, and shaves will be magic.!

I’m pretty hard on my Stirling badger. Bless BigJ for his painting strokes while loading but I just don’t have the patience. Although I’d probably develop patience if I were using nice Simpsons! [emoji3]

Back and forth or circling doesn't really matter when lathering. What is critical is that you apply no pressure. Especially for a Silvertip, allow gravity only for the downward pressure. At least that's what works for me.

I just work the tips when loading soap although if it is cream, that is measured out as a large almond sized snurdle. The Simpson keeps shedding hair and I noticed the drag on the stubble keeps pulling the hair out of the knot; poor workmanship by Simpson.
I use circular motion when loading and lather making but keep alternating between clockwise and counter clockwise. Painting motion to even out the lather there after and subsequent lather applications.

I am sure that brush manufacturers, would like nothing more than lathering with only 1 stroke and only 1 pass per shave, so that you can later praise their perfect craftmanship. "I have that brush for 40 years now and it hasn't shed a hair!". Swirling puts the knot in higher stress than painting. But i don't understand, how i am supposed to load for example, a Proraso tub or a Haslinger with painting strokes in relatively brief time and how i am supposed to build a half decent lather on the face, with only painting strokes. I have tried. I can't. Unless i am supposed to try to paint lather for 5 minutes for each pass. I haven't tried that.

On the other hand, i have several cheap badgers that don't shed at any significant rate after many years of use. So maybe the problem is with the how well the knot was glued in the first place.

Top Bottom