What's new

Lmarkow's Chicken Diary

Thanks Don.

I used the new boar again this morning. It is a great brush, that neatly splits the middle between a lather flinger (which it doesn't) and the big Omega pro brush (used yesterday), which puts lather on as neatly as any other brush I've used. When the bristles are fully splayed on the Thater, it fits my face very well. And the brush holds a ton of lather. I thought it might have a bit more backbone, but it is developing into a very lush boar brush. If you like boar, this one covers just about all the bases.

The MK 31s I own are nerve wracking; always have been. Break one, and I might as well break all seven. Yesterday I touched up the Sunday and Monday razors. Although the time was well spent, judging from today's shave, I don't even like putting the tape on the spines of these little razors, and removing it is worse. They are super thin and perfectly evenly ground, so touch ups are much easier than you'd expect from such hard steel. I rinse my face between passes, and I knew then that I didn't mess this one up. Fingers are crossed for Lundi.

Touched up the bonefish razor. The bevel is finally shiny, end-to-end. The last time I tried to hone the razor I wasn't able to effectively get the toe or heel of the smiling blade. I could tell because the razor was honed by Alfredo and had one of his hazy jnat bevels. I've played with a couple of other smiling razors since and watched a vid that Alfredo sent me, and now I think I've got the rolling stroke working. It looks good. I'll shave after my swim this morning. If I don't report back, I messed up and am on the way to the post office with a box headed to RI.

This was the vid doc sent.

The razor shaved very nicely. I didn't set the bevel, it was just a touch up. But it was sharp and still comfortable enough for me, heel to toe. I'll use it again tomorrow, and save the postage.

When I showed off a pic of the shiny bevel to the bevel setter, his response was that my razor was dirty. Win some, lose some . . . .

AE00AF56-8869-4CD8-9829-DC2933CB1636.jpeg
I thought so too.

Even better today. I think this is because of the bowl of SJoL lather I made. It was a superior bowl that really let the big razor shave very closely, almost like it was a full hollow (which tend to shave me a bit more closely).

My software selection, otherwise, was a total failure. Note to self: Alt-Insbruck and English Fern are a no-no.

I had trouble touching up the Waterville razor yesterday for today's shave. I could not get at part of the bevel, in the middle on the show side. I'm not sure why, but toe-leading strokes got the job done where everything else I tried failed. The razor has a bit of a wonky looking bevel, in any case, so if I get a nice shave from it in a little while, I'll be very pleased.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
You poor boys. Alt-Innsbruck is fantastic, both in scent and feel, ranking just above Lilac Vegetal for me.

Top Bottom