What's new

Llyn Idwal/Grecian/Charnley—A Outstanding Finisher-And Looks As Good As It Hones

Legion

Staff member
Bought my first Llyn Idwal today - fine grit 9.1 x 2 x 0.8 inch green with dark markings from a known seller on eBay.

I have been watching these stones for about six months with the goal of finding a 2-inch-wide stone less than 1-inch thick that I can hand hold. Thought it would be fun to own a stone from the UK to go with my old Sheffield razors. Will be fun to see how the stone performs!

Seller's pic.

View attachment 1584577
Are you sure that is a LI? From the reddish blush on the sides I'd have guessed that a Charnley. But it might just be the photo. Either way, looks nice. Good size too.

Legion

Staff member
Thanks. The seller says LI, but who knows? I will send photos when I receive the stone.

As long as it works, I will be happy!
Yeah. From my experience they are fairly similar to use. If it does end up being a CF you win, since those seem to sell for a higher price, usually.

Thanks. The seller says LI, but who knows? I will send photos when I receive the stone.

As long as it works, I will be happy!

I think it is probably an Idwal from that pic. Thick 9x2s were a reasonably common size for them.

Good news in terms of razor honing is that I’ve had quite a few in that cut over the last 6 or 8 months, and they’ve all been finishing level (less good for knives). Yours there looks a very nice consistent example, and I imagine will be very good. :)

Not saying this is always the case but, based on eBay seller descriptions, rectangular green tend to be LI, and canoe-shaped green with red tend to CF.

At least that's what I have seen.

Not saying this is always the case but, based on eBay seller descriptions, rectangular green tend to be LI, and canoe-shaped green with red tend to CF.

It is actually quite a good rule of thumb tbh.

I don't think I've ever had a canoe shaped Idwal, at least not that I can remember. Though you do get the occasional rectangular Charnley, probably slightly more recent ones.

Here are some pictures of Idwals I have on me atm, which may be of interest.

This is a stone I made into a combi with a coti, it isn't the finest grained Idwal in the world, the coticule side of this stone (which is lovely) is probably the side I will finish on.

IMG-3956.JPG

These two larger stones by contrast are very definitely finishing level. The 9x2 on the right in particular is probably the purest, most consistent Idwal I've ever had.

IMG-3954.JPG

These two stones are Grecian Hones, the one on the left is labelled. Grecians are a little bit different in feel and use to other Idwals. These finish a little lower than the two above, the feedback is nicer, softer, and they're quite fast. I particularly like them for fine but bitey knife edges.

IMG-3952.JPG

This stone moved quickly up my list if favorite hones. A wild find a few weeks ago. It was a ugly duckling when found but lapping revealed what I believe is a Llyn Idwal. A beautiful stone, light olive/turquoise green with dark green swirls, clouds, streaks and dots. It measures in at 2” wide and very long 13.5”. Every time I use it, the edges keep getting better. For the first time on a Puma, I got a frosted shiny bevel that look like pictures of bevels off Japanese Naturals by the best Honemisters. The Puma, which was shaving comfortably, that was last finished on a Escher had its edge improved upon. I started using only half the stone doing circles and x-strokes. I thought let’s try using the whole hone. What I think gave me this edge was long slow heel leading strokes, 45 degrees with the blade in complete contact. About 40 strokes and was treetopping every arm hair on contact. Hit it on Kanayama #3 leather and one of the best SR shaved I had, sublimely smooth. I think back, I almost did not buy. I picked it up and put down several times. Said to myself, I don’t need another *** slate then HAD kicked in and it went into my bag. I hit the lotto of hones. I have a few stones from around the world and the only one a can compare this to that I have is Novaculite. Has the same silky glass like feedback with ever so slight sensation of grit. One thing the stone does not like is water. Does its best work on oil.

First picture when found, next two after lapping and last doing its magic on the Puma

View attachment 933254 View attachment 933255 View attachment 933256 View attachment 933257
The patterning looks like my green Vermont, but I've got a novaculite that fractures like slate but it def novaculite. I think it's a Lynn Idwal and will leave a very literal razors edge with Tam slurry. If I put a little time on it, it'll silently hht root in beard hair. Very pretty stone you got.

Legion

Staff member
I took one last dive into the junk store broken, gunk covered hone chunks bucket and fished out this. I think it is a hunk of Idwal. If so, it is going to be a PITA to lap. I don’t think I want to think about it.

9C76038E-B2F8-4C7E-AFDC-CE4E877F61E9.jpeg

I ordered this Llyn Idwal from a seller in the UK on Saturday. FedEx received the stone on Monday and the stone arrived my house in NJ today (Tuesday) before 12:00 Noon. Not bad, right?

Here is a photo of the stone as it arrived - rougher side up. After dinner, I cleaned the stone using Simple Green with paper towels. Next step is to lap the sucker using SIC powder.

1673407120234.png

Legion

Staff member
I ordered this Llyn Idwal from a seller in the UK on Saturday. FedEx received the stone on Monday and the stone arrived my house in NJ today (Tuesday) before 12:00 Noon. Not bad, right?

Here is a photo of the stone as it arrived - rougher side up. After dinner, I cleaned the stone using Simple Green with paper towels. Next step is to lap the sucker using SIC powder.

View attachment 1586199
That was super quick.

Did you have a look at those side marks that looked a little red in the sellers photos?

That was super quick.

Did you have a look at those side marks that looked a little red in the sellers photos?

I am still waiting to examine the clean stone under natural light. The dark (possibly) red streaks on the sides of the stone are even more pronounced on the other side of the stone. Look like mineral deposits (inclusions) to me - feel smooth.

I will post more photos after I lap the stone. May not be until this weekend.

I have only used SIC powder with 6 x 2 stones. I sprinkled the SIC onto a 9 x 11 sheet of wet/dry sandpaper on a larger flat piece of marble.

My LI stone is 9 inches long. In theory, it should fit on a piece of sandpaper with 1 inch to spare on the top and bottom. I have read about people lapping on pieces of glass and metal cookie sheets.

Any difference between using a piece of glass or cookie sheet?

Legion

Staff member
I have only used SIC powder with 6 x 2 stones. I sprinkled the SIC onto a 9 x 11 sheet of wet/dry sandpaper on a larger flat piece of marble.

My LI stone is 9 inches long. In theory, it should fit on a piece of sandpaper with 1 inch to spare on the top and bottom. I have read about people lapping on pieces of glass and metal cookie sheets.

Any difference between using a piece of glass or cookie sheet?
The glass is more because it is easily available and flat. That works well when you are laying down some sandpaper on top.

The cookie sheet is more when you are using loose SIC powder on the surface, as SIC will grind away glass, and eventually dish it. A metal sheet will stay flat longer.

Personally I just use the SIC on the glass, and when it starts to wear out I throw it away and get another piece. Bits of glass are easy to come by. The other day a neighbour had a small coffee table out front they were throwing away, so I salvaged the glass top. That sort of thing is free and it works fine.

Lapped the Llyn Idwal today using SIC powder. Spent almost three hours using 120-grit, and one hour using 220, 320 and 500-grit.

Bought a sheet of glass from the Depot for $5.00.

1673739677336.png

Ready to go - glass sheet on top of a marble slab.

1673739804870.png

Getting there using 120-grit.

1673739899303.png

Almost there.

1673739974405.png

The better side after 120-grit.

1673740038387.png

The rougher side after 120-grit.

1673740098097.png

The better side after 220, 320 and 500-grit. Amazing how the color of the stone darkened as the grit size decreased.

1673740162810.png

Lapped the Llyn Idwal today using SIC powder. Spent almost three hours using 120-grit, and one hour using 220, 320 and 500-grit.

Bought a sheet of glass from the Depot for $5.00.

View attachment 1588260

Ready to go - glass sheet on top of a marble slab.

View attachment 1588262

Getting there using 120-grit.

View attachment 1588265

Almost there.

View attachment 1588266

The better side after 120-grit.

View attachment 1588267

The rougher side after 120-grit.

View attachment 1588268

The better side after 220, 320 and 500-grit. Amazing how the color of the stone darkened as the grit size decreased.

View attachment 1588269

That’s very interesting. You may have have very, very fine, effectively powdered SiC embedded in the scratch pattern of the stone...(?)

I noticed something similar happening recently when I zero beveled a knife on a SiC combi recently and the mild steel darkened noticeably because of it.

Maybe try rubbing the surface of the stone down with a synthetic whetstone or mid grit natural and see if it ‘cleans up’...

That’s very interesting. You may have have very, very fine, effectively powdered SiC embedded in the scratch pattern of the stone...(?)

I noticed something similar happening recently when I zero beveled a knife on a SiC combi recently and the mild steel darkened noticeably because of it.

Maybe try rubbing the surface of the stone down with a synthetic whetstone or mid grit natural and see if it ‘cleans up’...

Or leave it and you might get a mega-fast Idwal for a while!

Double post.

First drive in Llyn Idwal. Robeson 15A200, Semogue Owners Club 2-band finest badger, Stirling Barbershop, and Myrsol F/Extra.

I am pretty blown away by the edge - way beyond my expectations. Ark like. Sharp, keen and comfortable. Extraordinarily close shave with an alumometer reading of zero.

1673824859673.png

1673824876333.png

Top Bottom