What's new

LLAMA ?'s

i've seen vintage "llama brand" strops usually a 3 digit number, but also stamped with a US name. these appear to be shell cordovan

then there is the rolls royce of strops..... the kanayama strops also with llama logo. made by naomi kanoyama in tokyo japan.

are the ones with US markings rebranded. or are they unrelated????

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I seem to remember Naomi’s father made strops, and at least some of these in the US were likely made by him. I have one branded H&H Ginding Co, Cleveland, OH. Most of what I find on this company is from around 1932, so Naomi couldn’t have possibly made it even at 75+ years old.

Don’t hold me to the family recollection, but that’s what I remember.

I seem to remember Naomi’s father made strops, and at least some of these in the US were likely made by him. I have one branded H&H Ginding Co, Cleveland, OH. Most of what I find on this company is from around 1932, so Naomi couldn’t have possibly made it even at 75+ years old.

Don’t hold me to the family recollection, but that’s what I remember.

possibility they were made by his family/ predecessors?

LLama brand at some point was in business with Certifyd in Detroit and I'm sure others, meaning they sold to them to add their label to the Llama strop on the bottom.
Even now, as Certifyd is long gone, when you order the suede component from Kanayama it comes in a vintage Certifyd sleeve.

The old one I have is stamped "Llama" at the top and "H.M.C. Cutlery--New Bedford, Mass." at the bottom. The stamping is similar to other generic hardware store and barber shop type strops from the period.

Top Bottom