What's new

lKon 102 ?

Hi guys,a while back I asked about a more aggressive/efficient DE.The recommendations where a little overwhelming for a newb so I decided to stick with my EJ 89 and work on my technique instead.Until yesterday,I had a couple spent blades and trimmed them down into shims.Shimmed my 89 with 2 used blades and had the smoothest shave to date.Usually I am a 3-4 pass guy w/a clean up pass,the shimmed razor gave me a 2 pass w/a minimal clean up.No redness to speak of.skin felt great,so much so a splash of CC Cat O'Nine Tails just tingled a bit:ohmy:.I am leaning towards a iKon 102 slant as of now,going by the reviews I have read it seems to be a fairly aggressive but a smooth razor to boot.Plus I am wanting to try something a little different,I am hoping the slant will work for me since I know I can shim up the EJ in a pinch for a more aggressive shave if need be.Only problem is they are sold out every where I've looked and SWMBO has started to reign in my spending as of late on shave products:lol: so randomly trying different razors is a no go.Should I hang in there and wait for the iKon to come available or try a Merkur slant out?I really like the looks and reviews on the iKon but the Merkur slants get some pretty nice reviews as well.Anyone who has either or both care to chime in?Thanks Roger

for me the 102 wasn't aggressive at all. fairly efficient, yes. but not aggressive. no large blade gap, no large blade exposure.
the blade is just canted.
I had spent so much time perfecting the Gillette slide with my other razors that the 102 just threw off all my angles, so I sold it. if I hadn't, I would happily have sold it to you. sorry

If you don't mind 'seconds', try connaughtshaving
(head only, head with bamboo handle)

I have both merkur 37C and ikon 102
I find is the 37C milder than the 102. Don't get me wrong - the 102 is not aggressive. But like any other razors, with a sharp blade, it can bite. I take out the 102 every once in a while just to enjoy another version of the slant...

Differences between the two:

a. design - ikon has 'twisted head' while the 37C is a 'true slant'
b. alignment of blade - the 37C, in general, tends to misalign some blades. But it really does not affect the shaves much (especially once I have found the blades that work in the 37C). Blades fit perfectly in the 102
c. The 37C is "milder" in the sense that I can shave while half asleep :D. Not the 102
d. Ikon-aluminium head. 37C - zamak

I love both equally but prefer the 37C as the daily driver. Now that you brought this up - gonna shave with the 102 in the next hour...

Last edited:
If you don't mind 'seconds', try connaughtshaving
(head only, head with bamboo handle)

I have both merkur 37C and ikon 102
I find is the 37C milder than the 102. Don't get me wrong - the 102 is not aggressive. But like any other razors, with a sharp blade, it can bite. I take out the 102 every once in a while just to enjoy another version of the slant...

Differences between the two:

a. design - ikon has 'twisted head' while the 37C is a 'true slant'
b. alignment of blade - the 37C, in general, tends to misalign some blades. But it really does not affect the shaves much (especially once I have found the blades that work in the 37C). Blades fit perfectly in the 102
c. The 37C is "milder" in the sense that I can shave while half asleep :D. Not the 102
d. Ikon-aluminium head. 37C - zamak

I love both equally but prefer the 37C as the daily driver. Now that you brought this up - gonna shave with the 102 in the next hour...
I bought the 102 seconds from connaught a few months ago and found nothing wrong or seconds about it.

The razor itself is one of my top three Razors from amongst almost 50 Vintage and modern Razors I own. It shaves with remarkable efficiency and zero aggression. I get a very close and comfortable bbs shave each time. Highly recommended.

My 102 is among my top razors too. Not too aggressive and unlikely to draw blood. But the beard seems to vanish, especially with a fresh blade. It's a terrific value.

Thanks guys,merkur59 if you don't mind me asking what blades have alignment trouble?Astra's are my go to blade.Thanks for the link as well.but as I type this they are OS as well.Is the 102 that good of a razor that they fly off the shelves or are they made on a very limited run?

I haven't used any other slant, including a 37C, but I find the #102 to be very mild and an incredible shaver. The reduced cutting resistance, especially ATG, is significant and noticeable for me. This is in comparison to some pretty well liked conventional razors, including the Razorock Baby Smooth, the Muhle 89, Red Tip, and NEW SC. I have a dense full beard and sensitive skin, and only once I started using the #102 have I been getting close to 100% BBS with no irritation, especially on my neck.

I think any sharp blades will work well in the #102. Your Astras should be great.

Just my $0.02

Feathers fit nicely in the 37C. Astra (blue or olive green) and gillette wilkinson (the other go-to blades) have a bit misalignment but usually the blade can be adjusted to align better.

When a blade is misaligned, I can still shave with it but one side tends to be more or less "aggressive" (blade exposure) than the other.
For my 37C, I make sure the top-cap sits in one direction, plus making sure I press the blade into the top cap (flexing it against the top cap) before tightening the razor.

If you have the budget, I recommend both as they are 2 different slants.

Because of this thread, I took my 102 for a spin last night. It shaves a bit closer than the 37C - but I did "feel" the edge of blade on the skin more.
[with arko and astra blue (3rd use - last 2 shaves in the 37C)]

I haven't used any other slant, including a 37C, but I find the #102 to be very mild and an incredible shaver. The reduced cutting resistance, especially ATG, is significant and noticeable for me. This is in comparison to some pretty well liked conventional razors, including the Razorock Baby Smooth, the Muhle 89, Red Tip, and NEW SC. I have a dense full beard and sensitive skin, and only once I started using the #102 have I been getting close to 100% BBS with no irritation, especially on my neck.

I think any sharp blades will work well in the #102. Your Astras should be great.

Just my $0.02

Weber classic made me sell off the R41 (2011), progress and 34C.

The 102 and 37C, which I acquired later, retired all my remaining razors [fatip, weber classic, sabi]

And [shudder] I almost sold off my 37C, contemplating using the 102 exclusively...
:laugh:

Top Bottom