What's new

Liver

I like the idea of eating liver, but I can never bring myself to actually do it. I love pate, I love foie gras, but every time I try to prepare liver at home it goes awry, makes me wretch when I try it, and ends up getting dumped. I keep looking as it's really nutritious, but it's an uphill battle at this point.

Alright then, here's a couple of new ones - chicken hearts and pig tails! I've had chicken hearts before and they were fantastic, but I've never had pig tail not actually cooked either. I was thinking smoked or grilled for the hearts and probably something Chinese-esque for the tail. Thoughts?

My wife, who is Filipina, makes a wonderful chicken liver adobo. I LOVE liver, I prefer beef liver with onions and bacon, but the Italian restaurant I grew up with used to serve chicken livers in red sauce with peas. Very good stuff as well. Funny thing, I've learned if I'm at a restaurant with another person I will always ask if it's okay if I order the liver, as some people are so disgusted by it they can't even stand to watch someone else eat it!

I dust chicken livers in cornstarch, paprika, salt and pepper. Then fry and serve on white rice with fried onions! I also make chicken liver sushi. You parboil the liver, then marinade in yakatory sauce and grill. Roll with green onions, catsup, liver inside the sushi roll. Garnish with kewpie mayonase. I have made this for years then saw it in Hawaii made with fioe gras! Sounds crazy, I know.......

Alright then, here's a couple of new ones - chicken hearts and pig tails! I've had chicken hearts before and they were fantastic, but I've never had pig tail not actually cooked either. I was thinking smoked or grilled for the hearts and probably something Chinese-esque for the tail. Thoughts?

Fergus Henderson does sublime things with pigtails.

Don't have my Nose to Tail recipe book to hand but this looks about right but I thought he deep fried them to finish.

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/516375

Last edited:
Calf liver & onions at home once a quarter.

Cooking Tips
1) soak the thawed calf liver in whole milk for at least an hour prior to frying. This is key to removing the blood taste.
2) Pre-coat the liver in your flour mix & then re-coat any areas that soaked through.
3) Frying in bacon grease is nice but not needed, vegi oil will do.
4) Pan fry until medium rare - anything cooked past that, the LIVER flavor really comes out. Medium rare it becomes melt in your mouth.
5) Serve with onions

YMMV, but IMO, the best way to eat liver is to use it as catfish bait. Catch and cook the catfish, eat the catfish.:001_smile

I ate liver regularly for breakfast when I was in East Africa for a few months. Goat liver mostly. Delicious, tender and moist. Better than any other kind of liver I have had.

I've tried cooking goat liver myself and it has never turned out so well. I probably don't have the technique down, but I also think the freshness made a big difference. Those goats would have been slaughtered only an hour or so before I ate up their livers, with Injera.

Camel liver wasn't so great, to my taste. Pretty tough, for liver.

I have read that the Inuit, when they kill a seal, immediately cut out the liver and eat it. I bet that is mighty tasty.

I cannot stand chicken livers, beef livers are pretty good, also had lamb once. Bison is my favorite, a little firmer than beef. I only cook 3 minutes per side over medium high heat and douse the heck out of it with Indian spices like turmeric, cumin, coriander, pepper, garlic, onion, very tasty that way and easy and fast, too lazy to cut up a bunch of onions and garlic so just use the dried spices.

I love liver in Dirty rice. The region in Brazil where my wife is from they are known for a dish called zarapatel. it's a dish made with liver, blood, minced meat and all types of offall. Very nice to eat if you're not pick about this kind of thing

Top Bottom