What's new

Liver anyone?

Haven't had liver in a while as my wife doesn't like but when I do cook it, its lightly dusted with some flower, quickly fried in a hot pan and served pink with some thick cut homemade chips.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Never had it! I’m afraid to try it myself. Like cook it I mean. I want one that prepared by a pro first.

It's easy to overcook it, and it's not very appetizing once that happens. Frying with a relatively low heat is a good way to cook it, especially when learning how.

I don't care for liver at all, but it's great bait for catching catfish.

I've never eaten catfish.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Fried chicken livers! The only reason to stop at a Chester's Fried Chicken. Some of the Cracker Barrels do them pretty well too.

I enjoy calf's liver when it's cooked right. Just seems like most places don't cook it right and I walk away disappointed. The TexAz grill in Phoenix does theirs with bacon and onions. Dayum it's good!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I like my liver from a Bison. Or a chicken. Not so much beef anymore, since having had Bison.

I've had bison liver ... didn't notice much difference from the beef liver.

Mind you, I get my beef liver from the "all grass fed" variety rather than the standard corn/grain-fed feed-lot stuff so perhaps that's the key to the difference.

Anyhow, yes to bison.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Rusty:
plus-one-png.797576
...now, this Thread could be just 'offal' :))), but seriously...the Mrs. and I love some liver & onions, but being a 'equal opportunity' carnivores
proxy.php
...;

The innards I love is braunschweiger, liverwurst, oxtails, pork belly, scrapple, beef marrow roasted bones, kidneys, ham hocks, chicken livers, gizzards, pâté, foie gras (when I can find it), sweetbreads, 'cracklin & boudin' (it's a Louisiana thing).
proxy.php

BTW, every now and then...I'll cook 'chitlins' (must be cleaned three [3] times...South Carolina style w/ garlic, onions & potatoes (to help thicken-up the gravy), over rice. :thumbsup:

Liver.png
"Is life worth living? It depends on the [liver]". William James

PS I remember 'back-in-the-day', KFC had some 'killer’ gizzards & livers (can’t find gizzards & livers ‘done right’ anywhere around here).
proxy.php

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Rusty:
plus-one-png.797576
...now, this Thread could be just 'offal' :))), but seriously...the Mrs. and I love some liver & onions, but being a 'equal opportunity' carnivores
proxy.php
...;

The innards I love is braunschweiger, liverwurst, oxtails, pork belly, scrapple, beef marrow roasted bones, kidneys, ham hocks, chicken livers, gizzards, pâté, foie gras (when I can find it), sweetbreads, 'cracklin & boudin' (it's a Louisiana thing).
proxy.php

BTW, every now and then...I'll cook 'chitlins' (must be cleaned three [3] times...South Carolina style w/ garlic, onions & potatoes (to help thicken-up the gravy), over rice. :thumbsup:

View attachment 1119967"Is life worth living? It depends on the [liver]". William James

PS I remember 'back-in-the-day', KFC had some 'killer’ gizzards & livers (can’t find gizzards & livers ‘done right’ anywhere around here).
proxy.php
Always wondered what the difference was between braunschweiger and liverwurst. I love both of them.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Always wondered what the difference was between braunschweiger and liverwurst. I love both of them.

I always understood that "liverwurst" or "leberwurst" was the generic term for liver sausage, and that Braunschweiger was a particular style of liverwurst along the style of something from Braunschweig. I couldn't name you another sort of liver sausage, although I know I've seen and eaten others. Just due to the nature of liver, I would expect that all sausages made from pork, beef, or bird liver would have similar textures and flavors and that the most significant differences would be due to other ingredients and preparation. For example, I know that Braunschweiger should be lightly smoked.

Now that I've said that, I took a look at my Rytek Kutas book. He has a handful of sausages that include liver, including one just called "liverwurst," but each one's meat block contains a significant amount of some sort of "meat." For example, the "goose liver sausage" is 5% goose liver, 47.5% pork liver, and 47.5% pork butts or snouts.

Kutas does not have a recipe for Braunschweiger in his big book, but a recipe from a reliable website shows a cured sausage that is 50% pork liver, 50% "pork jowls, belly, or soft fat pork trimmings" and a handful of common sausage spices (and it sounds mighty good). Kutas's "liverwurst" recipe is 1/3 pork liver, 1/3 pork snouts, and 1/3 pork tripe (that sounds like a lot of tripe!) along with some common (but somewhat different) spices.

Healthy and alive :em2300:

Regarding the livers of other animals, from mammals, just like you, sometimes in steak-shapped, with the rest of the stuff standing next on the dish, or cut onto pieces and cooked with the onion . From birds, in pate-spread, and the same from fish. I reckon cod liver is available tinned in most of the world, but a truly amazing one is the liver of monkfish

How could I forget about monkfish liver. We used to have sushi every Friday night at this one particular restaurant and were customers for well over 20 years. One day sitting at the sushi bar I asked what he could recommend that I hadn't tried yet. He gave me some monkfish liver. It was insanely deliicious. I ended up ordering it many times after that.

Top Bottom