What's new

Liver anyone?

C'mon, admit it. Who doesn't love a good feed of liver, onions and bacon. And dont forget the mashed potatoes!

How do you like your liver? How long has it been since your last feed of this wonderful delicacy?

Calf liver is a favorite of mine. My wife soaks in in milk for about an hour. She fries the liver with onions and then covers the pan for a while to steam it. Love it with mashed potatoes. Last week I went to the grocery store but they didn't have calf liver. Hopefully they will have some this week.

I haven't had a liver I didn't like. For calf liver, a thick cut, slowly sauteed with onions, maybe bacon, or just bacon fat. Chicken livers en casserole, or fried. Foie Gras, well, that's the top of the line. Picasso's in Las Vegas has Foie Gras three ways, one as a pate, another as a steak with balsamic vinegar and I forgot the third way as I was in an induced food stupor by then.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I like beef liver, fried up and served with breakfast (omelette &c). Never tried the soaking in milk, though.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I haven't ate liver in a long time....I don't know why because I like it. Now chicken livers are another story, I love those things deep fried. I nice change-up to tenders.

I haven’t had beef liver in a long time. The wife and I like chicken livers. I dust them I 50/50 AP flour and corn starch. Salt, pepper and lots of peprika. After the livers are cooked and removed from the pan I add the onions. Cooked until they have just a little crunch to them. Served on white rice. A little catsup and hot sauce.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I had to give it up. The uric acid kills my arthritis something crazy.

At the beginning of the 2020 pandemic I was eating liverwurst sandwiches nearly every day to help boost my immune system. After about two weeks I could barely function due to the pain in my joints. Even one meal of beef liver gives me about a three day spike in pain.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Never had it! I’m afraid to try it myself. Like cook it I mean. I want one that prepared by a pro first.

C'mon, admit it. Who doesn't love a good feed of liver, onions and bacon. And dont forget the mashed potatoes!

How do you like your liver? How long has it been since your last feed of this wonderful delicacy?

My parents would never feed us anything like liver. It was considered bad for you. And maybe it is. I didn't get my first taste of liver until I was working as a busboy at a restaurant with tray service back in the late 1970's. It was a continental menu and one of the items was liver. It was made with onions and I think it was broiled like steak but it also could have been sauteed. Not sure if there was bacon or not. I remember one person at one of our tables ordered it. When it came out she looked at it and said "I can't eat that." She ended up ordering something completely different. The waitress and I took the liver back to the bus station and proceeded to devour it. I thought it was delicious. That said, I have yet to have it prepared that way since. The only liver I've eaten since then has been foie gras or liverwurst or pate. When we went to Paris I sought it out whenever I could. Simply amazing.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

I really wish I liked it. Just can’t get it down. Liver is the most nutritional food one can eat. Right up there with eggs. The very best source of Vitamin A and bio available minerals.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I love me some calf liver & onions, but my favorite is fried chicken livers. I'm the only one in the house that likes it, though, so I pretty much have to go out to get it. While there still are some good places to get those, they are becoming rarer and rarer.

I can get away with eating liver paté, liver mousse, and chopped liver at home, so I do that pretty often. Those still are pretty easy to come by.

Healthy and alive :em2300:

Regarding the livers of other animals, from mammals, just like you, sometimes in steak-shapped, with the rest of the stuff standing next on the dish, or cut onto pieces and cooked with the onion . From birds, in pate-spread, and the same from fish. I reckon cod liver is available tinned in most of the world, but a truly amazing one is the liver of monkfish

My mother used to cook liver when I was a kid. I ate it because I had no choice, but I hated it. Liver still doesn’t appeal to me. Who wants to eat an organ that filters crap out of blood anyway.

Top Bottom