What's new

Live by the sword,...

So I’ve got about 25 straights at this point. Nearly all came from eBay. Average purchase price < $40. I’ve taken a number of risks on super cheap razors with damage (e.g. Heljestrand No24 for $20) and up to now I’ve been able to make every one shave ready, including 2 with obvious chips in the edge. But I think I met my match today - a Joseph Rodgers 5/8 hollow with a chip that clearly leads into a crack. I could see the crack in the photos, but missed the crack.

Anything to be done with this, or simply chalk this up to experience? I’m sure I can hone away the chip - what will happen to the crack? Will it grow over time, or guarantee that the chip can’t be honed away? The photos with this weren’t any better or worse than what I normally see, so not taking the view that the seller tricked me.

7B9F7EB0-908A-4E99-A04A-600BD8A727DF.jpeg
568702CE-7DEB-4379-AAC6-77C7192BC24F.jpeg
4E9AFD62-41D7-4783-BCDE-6A1761A39BE5.jpeg

I'm afraid that razor is toast. That crack can flex open while shaving, revealing two spike points that can wreak havoc on your face. Hopefully it wasn't too much money.

I'm afraid that razor is toast. That crack can flex open while shaving, revealing two spike points that can wreak havoc on your face. Hopefully it wasn't too much money.

Nope, $33. By the way I meant to say “in the seller’s picture the CHIP was visible, not the crack.”

Not too bummed out. It would have been my first Rodgers, but other than that, its a 5/8 hollow, something I have a lot of in my collection. I bought another razor the same night for $30, a 13/16 faux frameback, something for me that is unique and much more interesting. I would definitely have been more bummed if that had been the cracked razor. On inspection that razor has no issue other than the usual black spots.

Maybe I can ask for an exemption to enter it in the Gold Dollar Mod competition?
You know you are probably onto something there. Fixing shoulders is the most common thing with GD so I'm sure someone took it a step further. Might be worth going over previous entries.

shoulderless.jpg

Legion

Staff member
You might be able to grind it, but I'm thinking it would make the blade kind of unstable for honing.

Yeah that crack goes awfully far up toward the spine. I don't think there would be any way to do it without either making the blade way too unsupported or leaving some of the crack there. You maybe could just grind out to the part of the edge just past the crack and slope/curve it back toward the spine to keep some sort of support but eliminate the crack at the edge, like xuz depicted. Taking the crack completely out is probably a non-starter.

Thanks for all the comments. I will think on it a bit. Currently focused on trying to make my first scales out of horn, want to get comfortable with that before I try grinding metal.

Top Bottom