What's new

Little things in life that can be infuriating...

I was mowing the grass an hour ago and the damn mower sputters and dies. I already changed the filter, oil and whatever else it needed maintenance wise.

There's a spring that pulls back a lever so the blade keeps spinning at top speed, it doesn't seem to hold it back. So i replaced the spring so it does (it worked for a month or so no problems)... but ultimately it still slows down. Even at the tallest setting.

I took it to a lawnmower shop, cost me $50 to get it fixed, and now it's doing the same thing again, so now i gotta load that ****** in the truck, take it back to the repair shop and see if they can figure out what's wrong with it. If it costs another $50 they can keep it. I'm already down $200 with the initial cost and the repair costs.

That's what my ******* gets for buying a refurbished one from a mom and pop shop. I try my hardest to support small business, but this **** is infuriating. I barely had it over a year.

I would understand if it broke down in 2 maybe 3yrs. At least it paid for itself, saving me hundreds paying someone to mow the yard.

Stil mad AF though.

I'll probably end up buying a honda mower.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
There's a spring that pulls back a lever so the blade keeps spinning at top speed, it doesn't seem to hold it back. So i replaced the spring so it does (it worked for a month or so no problems)... but ultimately it still slows down. Even at the tallest setting.

I have a mower that does the same thing. Drives me nuts.

proxy.php

At least it hasn't caused mine to actually stop. But it does make mowing tall grass a PITA.

I have a mower that does the same thing. Drives me nuts.

proxy.php

At least it hasn't caused mine to actually stop. But it does make mowing tall grass a PITA.

Cut it or have someone else cut it more often and you won't a tall grass problem.
dave

I was mowing the grass an hour ago and the damn mower sputters and dies. I already changed the filter, oil and whatever else it needed maintenance wise.

I took it to a lawnmower shop, cost me $50 to get it fixed, and now it's doing the same thing again, so now i gotta load that ****** in the truck, take it back to the repair shop and see if they can figure out what's wrong with it. If it costs another $50 they can keep it. I'm already down $200 with the initial cost and the repair costs.

That's what my ******* gets for buying a refurbished one from a mom and pop shop. I try my hardest to support small business, but this **** is infuriating. I barely had it over a year.

I would understand if it broke down in 2 maybe 3yrs. At least it paid for itself, saving me hundreds paying someone to mow the yard.

Stil mad AF though.

I'll probably end up buying a honda mower.

Factory refurbished with a warranty?
dave

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

Replace the lawn with something that's less energy, time, water and inputs demanding. Turn your back on a lawn for a second and it runs amuck tearing away from a totally unstable monoculture back to a natural diverse system.

dave

I've been there with a refurbished Sthil weed eater.... Paid $200 for a refurbished commercial model, ran fine for 3 weeks. Couldn't return it because I had it in my hands for 22 days and not 21 days.... Paid another $100 to get it running again. Then It quit on me again and I went an bought new..... I FEEL YOUR PAIN

Mower sputters and dies... From the mention of an oil filter, it sounds like a riding mower. With riding mowers, sputters and dies sounds like a safety switch somewhere. Depending on the wiring, they can be a pain to troubleshoot. But if it is a safety switch, the part is usually inexpensive. Labor cost is another issue.

Replace the lawn with something that's less energy, time, water and inputs demanding. Turn your back on a lawn for a second and it runs amuck tearing away from a totally unstable monoculture back to a natural diverse system.

Can you repost this? But, make it read more scientific? Maybe with a pie-chart? Or graphs? I have been trying to convince the wife about this for YEARS with no luck. Every summer it's the same thing . . . her weeding her garden for hours each week, and looking at me sideways when I mow the lawn once a week until high summer, when it becomes bi-weekly.

Lawns were a sign of wealth. It meant you owned sheep. Now it has morphed into today's silliness.

Buy an electric mower. Only mow what can be covered in one charge. The rest becomes natural plantings.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
When I have the money I am replacing my labor (and water) intensive lawn with Thunderturf.

Actually, there is a natural alternative. Clover. Yep, white clover. Easy to grow, needs no herbicides, drought resistant and you only have to mow it twice a year. Popular in the 1950s, displaced by trendier grasses and folks selling lawn equipment.

Mac

Actually, there is a natural alternative. Clover. Yep, white clover. Easy to grow, needs no herbicides, drought resistant and you only have to mow it twice a year. Popular in the 1950s, displaced by trendier grasses and folks selling lawn equipment.

Mac

You might be on to something here. I’m gonna have to research this more.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Buying refurbished is a gamble. Especially as is or with no warranty
have you taken it back to The shop you bought it at? What brand is it maybe Google the issue. It seems complicated but how complicated is a lawn mower these days

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
What Dave said up there makes a whole lot of sense to me and I lived in a neighborhood where a homeowner did just that. No one had huge yards but the yards were plenty big enough to mow and some folks even had riding mowers to do it. So they weren’t tiny yards. One house in the neighborhood has about 80% of his yard in rock. A small grassy area was left. Presumably for the dog or whatever. It was all decorative rock. Like pebbles and river rock, and lava rock in places, large boulders here and there. And a few shrubs and brushes and small trees. His whole yard was just rocks but it looked really freaking nice.

Imagine the time and money he saves. Very very minimal maintenance. The time saving alone would be worth it for me.

60E218DE-F62D-42D3-B007-9E26FDDC9528.jpeg

What Dave said up there makes a whole lot of sense to me and I lived in a neighborhood where a homeowner did just that. No one had huge yards but the yards were plenty big enough to mow and some folks even had riding mowers to do it. So they weren’t tiny yards. One house in the neighborhood has about 80% of his yard in rock. A small grassy area was left. Presumably for the dog or whatever. It was all decorative rock. Like pebbles and river rock, and lava rock in places, large boulders here and there. And a few shrubs and brushes and small trees. His whole yard was just rocks but it looked really freaking nice.

Imagine the time and money he saves. Very very minimal maintenance. The time saving alone would be worth it for me.

View attachment 1000491

You don’t see that much here in Tennessee but I saw it a lot when I lived in Scottsdale for about a year.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

dave
Paint it, pave it or Astroturf it.

Top Bottom