What's new

Little help with blade hitting pin

8FCF1E8B-6119-471B-B7FC-AF939819625B.jpeg
So this razor the blade hits the pin at the wedge side of the scales when closed. Not sure why the blade and name on the scales match. So they should go together.

Cannot pull or tap the blade, just seems the scales are slightly too short.

Anyone ever run across this. Any tips or tricks to fix. Thinking the best way would be to redrill the pin at the wedge and glue the existing pins in place but filed flat inside the scales.

Thanks

So this razor the blade hits the pin at the wedge side of the scales when closed.

Anyone ever run across this. Any tips or tricks to fix. Thinking the best way would be to redrill the pin at the wedge and glue the existing pins in place but filed flat inside the scales.

Thanks
I presume you mean it's hitting the wedge.

I know you say you can't pull or tap the blade but before you do anything make sure it's not an option. Most older razors have a slightly oversized hole in the blade so hold the razor between your forefinger and middle finger and open the blade with your thumb almost to the point the blade becomes exposed. Apply pressure on the toe towards the pivot end while wiggling the blade in/out of the scales and see if that fixes it.

You don't need to redrill the wedge pin you just need to shave a bit off the wedge itself. You can do this without unpinning if you can get a file between the scales and file it down that way. Jewelers files can get in there but it can be a bit messy and you can end up damaging the scales if you're not careful. It's also harder to make it look like nothings been touched as you generally have only one 'grit' of file. If you choose this approach put tape right up to the wedge on the inside of the scales before you start.

If you go the unpinning route it's easier to get it looking like new through a progression of sandpaper grits up to 2k but I can't see the bolsters properly to see if unpinning is more trouble than it's worth. Don't go gluing anything.

I presume you mean it's hitting the wedge.

I know you say you can't pull or tap the blade but before you do anything make sure it's not an option. Most older razors have a slightly oversized hole in the blade so hold the razor between your forefinger and middle finger and open the blade with your thumb almost to the point the blade becomes exposed. Apply pressure on the toe towards the pivot end while wiggling the blade in/out of the scales and see if that fixes it.

You don't need to redrill the wedge pin you just need to shave a bit off the wedge itself. You can do this without unpinning if you can get a file between the scales and file it down that way. Jewelers files can get in there but it can be a bit messy and you can end up damaging the scales if you're not careful. It's also harder to make it look like nothings been touched as you generally have only one 'grit' of file. If you choose this approach put tape right up to the wedge on the inside of the scales before you start.

If you go the unpinning route it's easier to get it looking like new through a progression of sandpaper grits up to 2k but I can't see the bolsters properly to see if unpinning is more trouble than it's worth. Don't go gluing anything.
It is indeed hitting the pin. When you go to close it you can hear the blade scrape on it. I have used tape along the blade to visualize it on the outside of the scales and it hits the pin about mid pin. The wedge is loose and can slid around and probably pulled out.

Unpinning won’t be too bad, flush cuts would make quick work of it. I only have brass rod and washers. Would need to get some silver. Just don’t think that will help.

I will try your suggestion and see if I can get the blade to slide in the manner you suggested.

Thanks.

As Bevel said. The best fix is unpin and try to change or fix the wedge. If you are hitting the pin... I dont see how this can happen unless your wedge end is so lose the blade tip is slipping between the scales and wedge.

They shrink. Sometimes you just have to make new scales or regrind the tip of rhe razo some to reuse the old scales.
Good luck.

It is indeed hitting the pin. When you go to close it you can hear the blade scrape on it. I have used tape along the blade to visualize it on the outside of the scales and it hits the pin about mid pin.
Again if you're saying it's hitting the pin, and not the wedge, I must be missing something. Maybe a picture would help.
The pin goes through the wedge so I'm having difficulty in seeing how this could happen.
The wedge is loose and can slid around and probably pulled out.
Ok, that sounds like the pin doesn't go through the wedge so there's something wrong here.
Where did you get the razor or have you had it long?
I'm wondering if someone tried to restore it, gave up, and just threw it back together and into an envelope.
Again, a close up pic looking into the wedge end might help me visualize what's going on.
Unpinning won’t be too bad, flush cuts would make quick work of it. I only have brass rod and washers. Would need to get some silver. Just don’t think that will help.
Flush cutters should work but, depending on their quality, may mark the bolsters. Nothing that can't be sanded out again.

Top Bottom