What's new

Little help on Semogue 830

Hello guys,

I got 3 boar brushes: the Semogue 830 (which was my first brush since I went on wetshaving), the SOC boar, and the 1305 that I gifted to my father on Christmas, which arrived at my home, at the very same day as the SOC.

Below, you can see all the 3 brushes: on top, the 1305 and the SOC, and on bottom, the 830.

IMG_20220214_222017.jpg

I'm concerned about the density of the knot on the 830...Semogue announces the very same knot on 830 and the 1305, but it seems that the 830 lacks in density of the bristles.
I only face lather, but I feel like is something wrong with the 830...Probably the knot is damage?

Thanks in advance!

linty1

My wallet cries.
880DEA54-D603-4878-BF2C-018CDA7240E4.jpeg

A little googling led me to find the hair chart from a while ago, it looks like size/loft and hair are the same. If it -feels- different and you aren’t happy with it, then just do an exchange if possible?

Full disclosure I dont have those two boars and just trying to research/help.

First, how many lathers does the 830 have? It takes three or more weeks of daily shaves to get broken in. It will require more soap than usual until then.

While the 1305 and 830 knots are similar and use the same type of hair (premium 90% tops), they're not exactly alike. The 830 is supposed to have 10% more hair than the 1305, which you would think would make it more dense. However, the way the 830 knot is shaped allows it to spread out more than the 1305 which is intended to make the 830 feel soft and luxurious. If you want more backbone, you can soak it for a shorter time or soak only the tips of the bristles.

Load the 830 heavily, it will do well with soft soaps or creams.

If you want more density and backbone, consider the Torga C5, which has a bigger knot with a shorter loft.

First, how many lathers does the 830 have? It takes three or more weeks of daily shaves to get broken in. It will require more soap than usual until then.

While the 1305 and 830 knots are similar and use the same type of hair (premium 90% tops), they're not exactly alike. The 830 is supposed to have 10% more hair than the 1305, which you would think would make it more dense. However, the way the 830 knot is shaped allows it to spread out more than the 1305 which is intended to make the 830 feel soft and luxurious. If you want more backbone, you can soak it for a shorter time or soak only the tips of the bristles.

Load the 830 heavily, it will do well with soft soaps or creams.

If you want more density and backbone, consider the Torga C5, which has a bigger knot with a shorter loft.

Thank you so much for your feedback! I'll try those tips about soaking in the meantime!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
You mean in every boar brush, or just the 830?
Most all boars, I suppose. Boar bristle absorbs water (unlike badger which repels) and if you soak the tips they'll soften and the shafts retain their backbone. At least that's my theory.

I only soak my boar knots for a couple minutes in about a half inch of warm water, never up the the handle.

Most all boars, I suppose. Boar bristle absorbs water (unlike badger which repels) and if you soak the tips they'll soften and the shafts retain their backbone. At least that's my theory.

I only soak my boar knots for a couple minutes in about a half inch of warm water, never up the the handle.
Makes sense in theory... I'll try it in the coming days, because so far, I'm loving my 2 band badger brush.

Ima have to try that. I thought the more a boar brush is soaked (longer time and the entire bristle) the better.
Learn something new everyday here...

Top Bottom