What's new

Little Feat's Dixie Chicken - Classic Album Discussion

Except for the Allman Brothers at the Fillmore East...(ducks) :smile:

The only thing Gregg Allman has over Bill Payne is more fans that wear leather cowboy hats and/or mulletts. :001_tt2:

Not much to say about this album that hasn't already been said. A lot of things came together on Dixie Chicken. It's a great album. Love the taste of New Orleans that LF brought to their music. The little chunks of funk and jam won my heart at first listen. LG really showed how great he was vocally and as a writer.

It would be hard for any band to overcome the loss of a talent like LG, and there's no doubt LF is not what it was. However, Post-LG, LF was and I would think still is (haven't seen them live in about 10 years) a fairly underrated live band. They have great chemistry and jam hard. Love Sam's hard rhythm and the horns. Throw in an outdoor venue with some nice weather, and you've got a great show.

Feat! One of my all time favorite bands!

I'll add on to my message. Lowell came a long way from the Mothers of Invention with LF. One of the better careers moves ever to have Frank Z ask LG to leave. A cult band and a band's band. One of the groups that at least in the day was cited by other major bands as one of their favorites.

Truly excellent slide guitar player. Great songwriter and vocalist. I would like to be able to say that I like LF even without LG, and LF remains a good band, but it is far from the same.

My question really is why are there not more bands around that sound like LF? One would have thought that LF would have hundred of imitators. Syncopated beat, New Orleans woven through it, good times, boogying music. For that matter, for a guitar style that is omni present in the blues (often through a National guitar), which is omnipresent in rock, why are there not more great slide players, or more playing out front anyway? Lots play a bit, but you are the greats: LG, Duane, Ron Wood (probably), Brian Jones (early adopter), Ry Cooder, the guy that plays with Sheryl Crow, Mick Taylor (what the hell happened with Mick Taylor anyway--there is a guy that should have been a contender!), Bonnie Raitt. Am I leaving anyone famous out. I guess I am in Derek Trucks (there is slide on a whole new level--I am not even sure I like it) and Warren Haynes (I like Warren a lot--I would like him if he had only covered Cortez and recorded John the Revelator.

Clearly there are unsung greats Sonny Landreth come immediately to mind as well as the guy that may be the best ever, who I am completely blanking on. (Yikes.)

Jerry Garcia, a bit. Does Jimmy Page count as a slide player. Johnny Winter I guess.

Anyway, hard to over estimate just how good LF was.

Spotcheck Billy got down on his hands and knees
He said "Hey momma, hey let me check your oil all right?"
She said "No, no honey, not tonight
Comeback Monday, comeback Tuesday, then I might."

I said Juanita, my sweet Jaunita, what are you up to?
My Juanita

Good question!

I am a bigger fan of his wife, Susan Tedeschi! :thumbup1:

I would say a definite yes. :biggrin:

<I am a bigger fan of his wife, Susan Tedeschi!>

Me, too. I am a big ST fan. There would be a lot of room in there to be a big DT fan and a bigger ST fan!

I feel bad about not liking DT all that much. I sort of really applaud him for doing what he does. Great to have folks pushing the edge, etc. Just because it does not knock me out does not mean it is not good.

Wish I could think of that other slide player. So, so good. Unearthly. Sang real low and strained. Kind of a bad vocalist really. White guy. I want to say he was from Louisiana, but he ended living in New York--Greenwich Village. Had a wife who had been a model. I think he had been in a motorcyle gang at one point. Not the Angels but maybe the Outlaws or the Pagans--I think. Seems like he died of a congenital heart problem he had had big problems with as a teenager, but had overcome somehow. Died maybe early 90s or so. Maybe something about almost dying in a car crash in high school or something like that.

Since you like Susan Tedeschi, what do you think about Rory Block? She is another of my favorites. You might say the acoustic answer to Susan's electric.

Scenario sounds vaguely familiar, but can't pull back the mist. :redface:

Also what about Jeff Healey? Another list addition.

Here's an interesting link (well, to me)
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103034365

thanks everyone for letting us hijack this thread a bit; I think LG wd have been okay with it!

I sort of thought of Jeff Healey. Not all that into him. Probably not fair of me. Should have had Rory Block on there. You are right. Good straight up acoustic blues player, energetic.

The guy I was trying to think of was John Campbell. Truly Robert Johnson reborn. Not sure any of the You Tube stuff does him justice, but it gives a little flavor.

Arthur Neilson, Shemika Copeland's (the late Johnny Copeland's, of Houston and NYC, daugher) long-time guitar player is quite the slide player. Hugely over-looked, as is Shameki herself.

For slide players, in "modern" music... Bo Ramsey, takes the cake for me. He's a virtuoso, in what HE DOESN'T PLAY, and his tone is huge. If you like old school spooky guitar, and guys like Ry Cooder and Muddy Waters, you'll love Bo.

Sorry to interrupt the Little Feat thread... I actually really love the Waiting for Columbus album.

My favorite album by my favorite band!

Every song a gem!

The current Feat is a different band than it was with Lowell, but it is still great.

The family and I have seen about two dozen Feat shows over the past decade. My older girls loved them while growing up. My second oldest still does (she uses Feat song titles as character names for one of her online games), my oldest, however, has 'outgrown' them. I always told the kids that the Feat is a superlative live band - prepare to be disappointed if you see most other pop bands in concert because you have basically seen the pinnacle of live musicianship. My oldest has now seen Green Day, Plain White Tee's and Nickleback in concert. We were watching 'Starsky and Hutch' a few months ago when "Spanish Moon" came on the sound track at one point which started us talking about the Feat and the show's we've seen and she says "Dad you're right about Little Feat, I still don't like their music, but I gotta say the bands I like kinda suck live".

Last edited:
Top Bottom