What's new

Listerine vs Crest Pro Health vs Generic

sooo...

whats the best mouthwash out there?

in my area, a big bottle of listerine usually costs around $6, while a similar size for crest and the store brand is about $5 and $3 respectively. is there any difference in these brands? they all claim to do the same things. what do you prefer?

ive always been a listerine guy, but if the store brand is the same thing, i may switch over.

I like the Listerine vanilla mint the best, same efficacy, interesting taste.

The pro health always leaves dark blue residue, and it doesn't last as long.

I'm sure the generic is just as effective as the original, but I have not used it.
Factoid: The chemical was actually first developed to sterilize surgical instruments.

I buy a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, dilute it 1:1 with water, and go to town. I also use baking soda in water if there is nothing too unpleasant going on in my mouth. Sometimes I let my evening Glenlivet do the job.

I used to use the off-brand Listerine clone or Peroxil (or whatever it is called). At 20 times the price of homemade mouthwash I find it hard to justify. The water here is flouridated (and has a bundle of other minerals) as is my toothpaste, so I wasn't really sure what I was paying for aside from the flavor.

listerin is like one of those 99% alcohol aftershaves, i´ve given up on it, i use a mouthwash from a company called GUM, its nice, alot better then listerin, dosnt burn the inside of your mouth, alcohol free, it has aloe vera for the gums, vitamins B5 and E, potasium nitrate to reduce tooth sensibility, and isomalt to repair tooth coating,

i do feel the coating on my teeth is smoother and harder since i started using it,

I buy the generic, and have had good results.

+1

I like the Pro Health, but it doesn't really give me that mouthwash fresh feeling like the alcohol mouthwashes. It does keep the tarter build up down like nothing else I have tried however.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Oh, I am so Old School on this one. I use Listerine ... the original formula only. This is one of those "I remember my Dad using this stuff when I was a kid ... " stories through and through. Besides, it seems to do a good job.

I just wish it still came in those round (not squared off) double-bubble bottles!!

I started with Listerine, but didn't like the masochist pre-requisite to using it. Then switched to Pro-Health, which I still use after cigar smoking (I get fewer grumbles out of the Mrs. with this one). At the request of my dentist, I've since switched over to ACT for daily use (remember those cool bottles with the pre-measured amount thingy?!?).

I also use act. There is a big debate concerning whether alcohol helps or hurts ones bad breath and general oral health. The issue is that while alcohol may kill things, it dries out the inside of the mouth and can thus lead to the propagation of more bacteria due to the lack of saliva. Many dentists believe that alcohol can incite bad breath instead of reduce it.

Make sure you floss! It's easy, painless, and doesnt require a sink or water to do. It's so damn important. Learn to get in the habit!

I just brush twice daily, floss at least once a day, and use act after every brushing. My last two trips to the dentist have been good, which is a first for as long as I can remember, including the listerine days.

I like the Listerine vanilla mint the best, same efficacy, interesting taste.

The pro health always leaves dark blue residue, and it doesn't last as long.

I agree on both points by A.de.Lioncourt. Re. generic, the ingredients are often identical with Listerine or close to it, so it should be fairly equivalent. The flavours of genuine Listerine products can be a little nicer than their generic counterparts IMO, however.

I've read and heard a number of times that using Listerine twice a day is as effective as flossing, though I've never looked for the studies supporting this. This doesn't suggest stopping flossing by any means, but it does give it an edge over other brands if correct.

I've never tried ACT mentioned in a couple posts so I can't comment, but it sounds quite good too.

Listerine Original Formula for me all the way. I agree with the previous poster about remembering my dad using it. I guess its kind of like Aqua Velva, just so classic and old school.

I agree on both points by A.de.Lioncourt. Re. generic, the ingredients are often identical with Listerine or close to it, so it should be fairly equivalent. The flavours of genuine Listerine products can be a little nicer than their generic counterparts IMO, however.

I've read and heard a number of times that using Listerine twice a day is as effective as flossing, though I've never looked for the studies supporting this. This doesn't suggest stopping flossing by any means, but it does give it an edge over other brands if correct.

I've never tried ACT mentioned in a couple posts so I can't comment, but it sounds quite good too.

Hopefully not TMI, but if you pay attention to the crap on the floss after you've used it, you might be surprised what brushing leaves behind in-between your teeth. If the water swishing to rinse out the toothpaste didn't dislodge it, I doubt Listerine will. Sure, it may kill some surface bacteria, but you still will have bits of food left to decompose and cause decay, halitosis, etc. YMMV. :biggrin:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Hopefully not TMI, but if you pay attention to the crap on the floss after you've used it, you might be surprised what brushing leaves behind in-between your teeth. If the water swishing to rinse out the toothpaste didn't dislodge it, I doubt Listerine will. Sure, it may kill some surface bacteria, but you still will have bits of food left to decompose and cause decay, halitosis, etc. YMMV. :biggrin:

Not only halitosis, but bad breath too.

Listerene orginal is one of the true antiseptics out there great for your gums and teeth. I only use it.:thumbup1:

Quite true! And if it did get the food in the hard to reach places, it would probably eat the teeth as well! :biggrin: There's no way Listerine could be 100% as good as flossing because it can't work on larger particles or deposits as you said, and also why "as effective" is a poor choice of wording - if not incorrect - used in the studies/media even if there is some merit to the claim. IMHO, even if Listerine just helps with the residue remaining on the surface (no one's brushing is perfect), or just under the gum line, I'll use it if the other brands don't work as well or in the same way.

Now, to digress, I've seen how my ultrasonic cleaner does a great job in hard to reach areas of razors - hmmm...:eek: :lol:

I recently bought a bottle of Pro Health. Don't gargle with this stuff - it foams like crazy. I won't buy another bottle after this one is done.

Last winter I tried the cheaper generic brand (Leader) of Listerine that was at my pharmacy. It looked like Listerine but it was so harsh and disgusting that I threw it away. Just because it looks like Listerine doesn't mean it really is. I have learned my lesson. BEWARE!

Top Bottom