What's new

Listen to your body- a health update

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I know I haven't been posting here much lately, but I am posting this in the two places I have posted the most in the past few years- here and the Brown Leaf. I have alluded to it, but my friends deserve to hear a bit more than that.

I have a cancerous tumor in my stomach. The main drivers of this type of cancer would be acid reflux, obesity, and a diet low in fruits and vegetables. I caught it early- because, just for once in my life, I decided to get my butt to the doctor and not put off getting my symptoms checked out. It got caught in stage 2- the doctor said a lot of patients put off getting this type checked out until much later. So, what were my symptoms? It started with a constant dull ache (about a 2 out of 10) behind my diaphragm. After a couple weeks it turned into maybe a 3, with a sharp jabby 5 to 7 when I ate. This made me get to the doctor and get scoped. I got my colonoscopy (another very important screening) at the same time, too.

My main reason for posting this encourage people to get to your doctor when you know something is not right. Us men tend to be a little bit stubborn in this department. Luckily, I was not in this case. Even though I am stage 2, the treatment is not going to be fun. On Monday I start my first round of Chemo. I will have 4 treatments over an 8 week period. After a short rest, my stomach will be removed. What I can and cannot eat will not be affected, just the quantity. After that, I have another 4 rounds (8 weeks) of Chemo. On the down side, this is going to knock me down a few notches for a bit. On the up side, I will finally lose that weight I have been needing to lose for a while. Since I have no other health issue (like diabetes or high blood pressure), my recovery chances are a lot better.

The wife made me sell off most of my pipes. I agreed that I would do it (didn't want to, since the pipe likely wasn't the cause), but I told her that I will use the money for what I want- a Springfield Armory 1911 (now to actually locate one :) ).

I know I haven't been posting here much lately, but I am posting this in the two places I have posted the most in the past few years- here and the Brown Leaf. I have alluded to it, but my friends deserve to hear a bit more than that.

I have a cancerous tumor in my stomach. The main drivers of this type of cancer would be acid reflux, obesity, and a diet low in fruits and vegetables. I caught it early- because, just for once in my life, I decided to get my butt to the doctor and not put off getting my symptoms checked out. It got caught in stage 2- the doctor said a lot of patients put off getting this type checked out until much later. So, what were my symptoms? It started with a constant dull ache (about a 2 out of 10) behind my diaphragm. After a couple weeks it turned into maybe a 3, with a sharp jabby 5 to 7 when I ate. This made me get to the doctor and get scoped. I got my colonoscopy (another very important screening) at the same time, too.

My main reason for posting this encourage people to get to your doctor when you know something is not right. Us men tend to be a little bit stubborn in this department. Luckily, I was not in this case. Even though I am stage 2, the treatment is not going to be fun. On Monday I start my first round of Chemo. I will have 4 treatments over an 8 week period. After a short rest, my stomach will be removed. What I can and cannot eat will not be affected, just the quantity. After that, I have another 4 rounds (8 weeks) of Chemo. On the down side, this is going to knock me down a few notches for a bit. On the up side, I will finally lose that weight I have been needing to lose for a while. Since I have no other health issue (like diabetes or high blood pressure), my recovery chances are a lot better.

The wife made me sell off most of my pipes. I agreed that I would do it (didn't want to, since the pipe likely wasn't the cause), but I told her that I will use the money for what I want- a Springfield Armory 1911 (now to actually locate one :) ).
I’m terribly sorry to hear of your cancer and can appreciate how difficult it may have been to share this. I for one will remember you in prayer. Get well Brother.

I am not one to go to the doctor, but I did the colonoscopy when I hit 51. Yeah, I stretched it out an extra year. I have prayed for you and wish you a complete healing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You’re already one step ahead, you listened to your body and acted on it. One of my doctors remarked that I’m the most proactive patient she has. I responded that I have to take control of my health because no one else will.
Very true. Here is what will be my consolation prize (for selling the pipes):

Very true. Here is what will be my consolation prize (for selling the pipes):
Very sweet. My dream pistol is:

9343054B-4B25-4849-B191-541BEDF5AC84.jpeg

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Any form of cancer is a horrible thing, but at least yours was caught early enough to get a treatment plan in place. You have the right approach with listening to the docs and I look forward to many years of reading your posts.

As you mentioned, there's nothing manly about putting off going to get something checked out. :thumbup1:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Any form of cancer is a horrible thing, but at least yours was caught early enough to get a treatment plan in place. You have the right approach with listening to the docs and I look forward to many years of reading your posts.

As you mentioned, there's nothing manly about putting off going to get something checked out. :thumbup1:
Yep. That is why I always kick our annual Check Your 6 thread. Such a simple thing to do to get some peace of mind. Far too many men are squeamish about it.

You'll beat this. I'm not saying that just to be positive, I mean it. I have a very strong intuition (and a helper on the other side) which says you're going to be around for quite a while longer. You listened to the most important three: yourself (your body), your doctors, and your wife. The forest will be daunting, but on the other side is a meadow you and your wife will spend quality time in.

Hang in there, brother. You have ears to bend when you need them.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Good on you for getting straight on this, and charging at the problem, rather than ignoring it and hoping it just went away.

Also, good on you for sharing this, and getting others to look their own health issues square in the eye.

Best wishes for the treatment ahead, and try to treat the missus whenever you can. You might be the one with all the physical discomfort, but you won't be suffering alone. The more you can lift her spirits, the better she'll be able to do the same for you. Also remember when things get tough, that you have people all over this planet cheering you on via B&B.

Kick its arse buddy 🍻

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Go well with everything. I stopped smoking 2 years ago and it was hard at first but it got easier as time went by. You will be in the best hands for your treatment. Stay on top of things through the waves of emotions. Thank you for sharing your story.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You'll beat this. I'm not saying that just to be positive, I mean it. I have a very strong intuition (and a helper on the other side) which says you're going to be around for quite a while longer. You listened to the most important three: yourself (your body), your doctors, and your wife. The forest will be daunting, but on the other side is a meadow you and your wife will spend quality time in.

Hang in there, brother. You have ears to bend when you need them.
Good on you for getting straight on this, and charging at the problem, rather than ignoring it and hoping it just went away.

Also, good on you for sharing this, and getting others to look their own health issues square in the eye.

Best wishes for the treatment ahead, and try to treat the missus whenever you can. You might be the one with all the physical discomfort, but you won't be suffering alone. The more you can lift her spirits, the better she'll be able to do the same for you. Also remember when things get tough, that you have people all over this planet cheering you on via B&B.

Kick its arse buddy 🍻
I'm terribly sorry to hear this. But your positive attitude will go a long way towards winning the battle! You and your family will be in my thoughts.
Go well with everything. I stopped smoking 2 years ago and it was hard at first but it got easier as time went by. You will be in the best hands for your treatment. Stay on top of things through the waves of emotions. Thank you for sharing your story.
Thanks all. My wife is incredibly strong. She had a big sigh of relief yesterday. I had to go under the knife to get my medi port (what they use so they don’t have to stick you every time) and to get staged. Cat scans and endoscopic ultrasounds showed it was my isolated, but it isn’t official until the surgeon takes a look. He did a scope down the throat, plus a small incision in the stomach area to get a look with a better scope. He confirmed it as stage 2- it hasn’t even made it to the surround lymph nodes yet. He was very upbeat about the whole thing.

I am glad you went to a doctor and got the right advice. Early detection is vital. Your post prompted me to talk about my journey. I am glad you had a port put in.

Last year I developed a cough that lasted over a month. I thought it was nothing. I had stopped smoking more than 30 years ago. My wife insisted I go to the doctor. She has battled non-Hodgkins lymphoma for more than 8 years.

The doctor performed an X-Ray and found two huge masses on my lungs. He immediately referred me to an oncologist. Ironically, it is the same doctor who has treated my wife.

I had a biopsy that revealed that the masses on my lungs were malignant. My oncologists ordered PET and CT scans and they indicated that I had metastatic melanoma which had spread to my lungs, spleen, hip, gall bladder, pancreas, and brain. If left untreated, my oncologists said my prognosis was poor because it had spread so much. In fact, they thought it could be fatal in as soon as 3 months. I went to a dermatologist every year and the doctors never found any melanoma during routine examinations. Because of the pandemic, I did not go for a skin cancer exam in over a year. I never realized how aggressive and fast-acting melanoma can be.

My treatment consisted of radiation for brain cancer and immunotherapy for cancer in the other parts of my body. I had four radiation treatments and so far have had four infusions of immunotherapy drugs. After my first immunotherapy treatment which was through a vein in my hand, I had a port put in. It made treat the treatment a lot easier.

So far, the results have been good. Only one lesion remains on my brain and that has been reduced by more than 60%. The doctor thinks the lesion may continue to shrink in time. Immunotherapy has eliminated the growth of most of my internal organs. The mass on my lungs has been greatly reduced. I have regained the 30 pounds I have lost and my strength is returning. It is a long journey. Keeping a positive attitude can be a challenge - but is important. The prayers and support I got from friends and relatives were vital. You can beat this. I am glad your wife is supportive. I don't know what I would have done without my wife.

You and your family will be in my prayers.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Great googely-moogely! I need to count myself lucky with an enlarged prostate (pee 10-15x daily, awaiting PAS test results) and (most likely) a torn rotator cuff.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Wow I'm sorry to hear what you are going through. In June I went to the ER with what I thought was appendicitis. Well I did have appendicitis. Along with colon cancer. The surgeon removed my appendix, my cecum (which I had never heard of) and 3 feet of my ascending bowel. Stage 2 and they got it all. Had a scan with contrast done 2 weeks a go and I am clean, No chemo or radiation necessary. I got seriously lucky. I guess the point is you are not alone and sometimes you just need to know others understand what it feels like. That word cancer has some serious weight when it's you being discussed. And having a scared wife is no fun at all.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I am glad you went to a doctor and got the right advice. Early detection is vital. Your post prompted me to talk about my journey. I am glad you had a port put in.

Last year I developed a cough that lasted over a month. I thought it was nothing. I had stopped smoking more than 30 years ago. My wife insisted I go to the doctor. She has battled non-Hodgkins lymphoma for more than 8 years.

The doctor performed an X-Ray and found two huge masses on my lungs. He immediately referred me to an oncologist. Ironically, it is the same doctor who has treated my wife.

I had a biopsy that revealed that the masses on my lungs were malignant. My oncologists ordered PET and CT scans and they indicated that I had metastatic melanoma which had spread to my lungs, spleen, hip, gall bladder, pancreas, and brain. If left untreated, my oncologists said my prognosis was poor because it had spread so much. In fact, they thought it could be fatal in as soon as 3 months. I went to a dermatologist every year and the doctors never found any melanoma during routine examinations. Because of the pandemic, I did not go for a skin cancer exam in over a year. I never realized how aggressive and fast-acting melanoma can be.

My treatment consisted of radiation for brain cancer and immunotherapy for cancer in the other parts of my body. I had four radiation treatments and so far have had four infusions of immunotherapy drugs. After my first immunotherapy treatment which was through a vein in my hand, I had a port put in. It made treat the treatment a lot easier.

So far, the results have been good. Only one lesion remains on my brain and that has been reduced by more than 60%. The doctor thinks the lesion may continue to shrink in time. Immunotherapy has eliminated the growth of most of my internal organs. The mass on my lungs has been greatly reduced. I have regained the 30 pounds I have lost and my strength is returning. It is a long journey. Keeping a positive attitude can be a challenge - but is important. The prayers and support I got from friends and relatives were vital. You can beat this. I am glad your wife is supportive. I don't know what I would have done without my wife.

You and your family will be in my prayers.
melanoma may be the nastiest of the bunch. It is very fast moving. Thanks for sharing. It helps reinforce my main goal of this thread- get things checked out, and don’t do it via Google.
Great googely-moogely! I need to count myself lucky with an enlarged prostate (pee 10-15x daily, awaiting PAS test results) and (most likely) a torn rotator cuff.
Good luck
Wow I'm sorry to hear what you are going through. In June I went to the ER with what I thought was appendicitis. Well I did have appendicitis. Along with colon cancer. The surgeon removed my appendix, my cecum (which I had never heard of) and 3 feet of my ascending bowel. Stage 2 and they got it all. Had a scan with contrast done 2 weeks a go and I am clean, No chemo or radiation necessary. I got seriously lucky. I guess the point is you are not alone and sometimes you just need to know others understand what it feels like. That word cancer has some serious weight when it's you being discussed. And having a scared wife is no fun at all.
Glad you got it caught in time.

Top Bottom