What's new

Listen to your body- a health update

@oc_in_fw
I know that you can beat this. I know that you can beat it because I beat my non-Hodgkin’s lymphphoma two years ago. I was scheduled for six rounds of chemo and while I was in the chair for the fourth, my oncologist let me know that my recent PET scan had shown no traces of the cancer.

If you want to talk, send me a PM. I would be happy to talk with you about what I went through and offer any insight that I can about the process.

In any case, I’m pulling for you.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
@oc_in_fw
I know that you can beat this. I know that you can beat it because I beat my non-Hodgkin’s lymphphoma two years ago. I was scheduled for six rounds of chemo and while I was in the chair for the fourth, my oncologist let me know that my recent PET scan had shown no traces of the cancer.

If you want to talk, send me a PM. I would be happy to talk with you about what I went through and offer any insight that I can about the process.

In any case, I’m pulling for you.
Thanks. If I have any questions, etc, I’ll pm you.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
@oc_in_fw I don't know how exactly to put it, but I'm not worried about you, brother. You're strong, you're tough, and you have a strong wife, a great succor doctor, and a huge cadre of buddies surrounding you abs bombarding you with good vibes. We're all here for you, and we aren't letting you go! If you need anything at all, you say the word and you got it. Do not hesitate for one moment.

If some of the good vibes feel particularly strong, that's because I'm laying over at DFW at the moment.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
@oc_in_fw I don't know how exactly to put it, but I'm not worried about you, brother. You're strong, you're tough, and you have a strong wife, a great succor doctor, and a huge cadre of buddies surrounding you abs bombarding you with good vibes. We're all here for you, and we aren't letting you go! If you need anything at all, you say the word and you got it. Do not hesitate for one moment.

If some of the good vibes feel particularly strong, that's because I'm laying over at DFW at the moment.
First infusion is tomorrow. I will admit something here once, that I will never admit to anyone face to face. I sometimes get scared. Just had to get that off of my chest. I know that I cannot afford that emotion right now, but it sometimes creeps up.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
First infusion is tomorrow. I will admit something here once, that I will never admit to anyone face to face. I sometimes get scared. Just had to get that off of my chest. I know that I cannot afford that emotion right now, but it sometimes creeps up.
This may be the hardest thing you ever have to do. Don't do it alone my friend. I am praying for you right now.

I have followed you on here a long time. You are not a weak minded person. Study up on what you can do, and let Him do the rest.
Dave

With a port it is no big deal. I go for my fifth infusion on Tuesday. Take something to read, snack on, and to drink. If they add Benadryl to the infusion you will get some sleep!

I hope it goes well for you.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This may be the hardest thing you ever have to do. Don't do it alone my friend. I am praying for you right now.

I have followed you on here a long time. You are not a weak minded person. Study up on what you can do, and let Him do the rest.
Dave
Fear is normal. It is an emotion just like anger or happiness. Ain't no shame in it.
With a port it is no big deal. I go for my fifth infusion on Tuesday. Take something to read, snack on, and to drink. If they add Benadryl to the infusion you will get some sleep!

Thanks all. First round was a breeze. I have one med that goes in over a 24 hour period. I get that removed tomorrow. Haven’t had to touch the nausea medicine- yet. I may even go in for a bit tomorrow to build up some cushion, because it may hit me in a day or two. Thanks for all your thoughts. Admitting to someone that I am a little scared helped to lessen the pressure. Don’t want to show it in front of wife and grandchildren, so venting in a different direction helped a lot. I am strong, but I’m not Mr. Spock. Thanks for being here for me. I love you all like brothers (with a few sisters sprinkled in to class up the joint :) )

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks all. First round was a breeze. I have one med that goes in over a 24 hour period. I get that removed tomorrow. Haven’t had to touch the nausea medicine- yet. I may even go in for a bit tomorrow to build up some cushion, because it may hit me in a day or two. Thanks for all your thoughts. Admitting to someone that I am a little scared helped to lessen the pressure. Don’t want to show it in front of wife and grandchildren, so venting in a different direction helped a lot. I am strong, but I’m not Mr. Spock. Thanks for being here for me. I love you all like brothers (with a few sisters sprinkled in to class up the joint :) )
NO man is an island, and I have WAY too much of Mr. Spock running through my veins.
Just know that this place is very selfish, and we need to hear how you are doing.

When I first knew I had Covid I was so scared for a moment that my faith was shaken. NOT a normal or comfortable place for me. And unloading some of that, stuff I couldn't even tell my lovely bride, helped A LOT!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Fear is good.

Moderate fear leads to caution, caution led to you getting checked out, and getting checked out led to you taking the first steps to defeating this enemy early, before it got too strong. Yeah, it feels crap, but if it didn't we wouldn't get off our arse to deal with the problem :D Stronger fear can be overwhelming, but that's where the missus comes in, and to a lesser extent, us here. When it gets overwhelming, that's the brain saying it needs help processing what's happening, and you've got tons of help ready and waiting, both by your side with family and professionals, and all around the world.

Fear is just another gauge on the dashboard of our brain. Needle goes up, respond to it, don't ignore it. Whether that's ask something, vent something, open the safety valves and let a little pressure out, our just reach for a reassuring hand. Just don't get fixated on that dial at the expense of the others. There's many other emotions that will be flickering on the journey ahead, including the more positive ones. The kindness of staff, love of family, warmth of friendship, happiness at the various stages of success. Give youself space to experience them too. They'll help keep some of the other dials in check ;)

Last edited:

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Venting is good. And like I said in a previous post, the word cancer is heavy when it's YOU they are talking about. It's OK to be afraid, hell it's normal, but it doesn't mean you quit, it means you FIGHT!

ylekot

Fear is good.

Moderate fear leads to caution, caution led to you getting checked out, and getting checked out led to you taking the first steps to defeating this enemy early, before it got too strong. Yeah, it feels crap, but if it didn't we wouldn't get off our arse to deal with the problem :D Stronger fear can be overwhelming, but that's where the missus comes in, and to a lesser extent, us here. When it gets overwhelming, that's the brain saying it needs help processing what's happening, and you've got tons of help ready and waiting, both by your side with family and professionals, and all around the world.

Fear is just another gauge on the dashboard of our brain. Needle goes up, respond to it, don't ignore it. Whether that's ask something, vent something, open the safety valves and let a little pressure out, our just reach for a reassuring hand. Just don't get fixated on that dial at the expense of the others. There's may other emotions that will be flickering on the journey ahead, including the more positive ones. The kindness of staff, love of family, warmth of friendship, happiness at the various stages of success. Give youself space to experience them too. They'll help keep some of the other dials in check ;)
Well said!

ylekot

I wish Benadryl knocked me out. I wish anything would. I have had 2 major surgeries in 9 months and my body fights the anesthesia so hard they have to boost the dose to keep me under. Both times my blood pressure plummeted and I stopped breathing. Luckily for me I have no recollection, but apparently, they had to wake me up both times and have a little chat and wait for me to stabilize and then knock me back out. The back surgeon (over 20 years) had never seen someone take so much Propofol. And when they stop the infusion I come to almost immediately. I am looking at the possibility of another back surgery and my doctor is a bit nervous, as is my wife. I am not, yet.

Will do. One downside to this- since my immune system will be weakened due to chemo, they want no cuts. Shaving with a razor is not suggested. Had my last DE shave today- about to buy an electric. :(
I was in the same boat and bought an electric with which I was happy. I could make a thin lather and get a decent shave; here's the thread:

I'm really glad to hear that your first chemo round went well! Yes, it's scary, but as others have said, you have a great support system. It's only wasted if you don't use it. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom