What's new

Listen to this guy! Spot on! This country needs to come to its senses!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
What about chicken fingers? I have yet to see a chicken with fingers........

1599237946629.png

Fish ball soup ...

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I really like boneless more! No joke!

What if we could genetically engineer wild game to have no bones? Hunting would be a lot easier, but a little boring.
Same here. Most reputable places use chicken breast. I will commit a sacrilege- chicken wings suck. Too much work for too little meat. At least a drumstick will give you a fair bit of meat. The guy makes a valid point, though. I am all for Buffalo style chicken strips.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Forty years ago both Pilgrim and Tyson had 'developed' chickens with no wings. Then the wang thang took off. Millions of $$ wasted on research.

Hooters actually. Never been to Thailand. Do they have Hooters reataurants?
Actually there are a couple in Bangkok, and even one here in Singapore. Not been to the ones in Bangkok, they opened after I had left, been to the one here but not for a long time,

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I am not anti-chicken, but my favorite expression of Buffalo wings is cauliflower!

OP here... I grew up in Buffalo so I qualify as a subject matter expert. :)

"Boneless wings" are just chicken strips, chunks, or sludge (nuggets). Don't let the restaurants pull one on you. It's been out of necessity since wing prices crossed over (remember when they use to throw them away or use them for soup stock?).

The Pandemic has brought a rare positive consequence though:

Back to wings. Those who like a meatier cut can just stick to breasts, thighs, and legs. If one prefers them, great but they are NOT wings!
Even the most neophyte wing connoisseurs understand what makes a chicken wing great. It's not the meatiness! If it's the meat we're after, why would we be eating wings? It's the skin to meat ratio. That balance which allows the skin to be cooked to a crisp even after absorbing the sauce while the meat cooks to a safe but moist temperature. This is what makes the chicken wing is special. This is chicken wing 101.
For the intermediate class we need to review the codified taxonomy of the chicken wing parts. the simple version with 4 categories: The drum, the flat, the tip, and that happy/sad accident... the Chernobyl. The tip... well those get thrown away or frozen and shipped to countries that eat them. Unfortunately, some lazy chefs try to sneak the tip to you in the form of a whole, uncut wing. There's a special place in hell for those guys... especially those who do it for "presentation". You're supposed to have a beer in one hand hand when eating wings so how the hell are you supposed to handle those things with the other hand only? Anyway... most folks prefer the drum, but advanced chicken wing eaters prefer the flat. Better skin to meat ratio, and the meat between the 2 bones is the best eating. Some folks realize this right away and some, only after eating wings for 25+ years (those poor sods who race for the biggest drum in the basket without realizing that its the rookiest of the rookie moves). Also... if you can't wings without soiling only the tips of your thumb and pointer, than you need to train harder... it'll only take several hundred pounds of wings. 7 year olds do this routinely in the city of Buffalo.
Oh yeah... the Chernobyl... that's when an errant knife does not separate the wing at the joint, but through the bone somewhere leaving a drum with a portion of the flat or a flat with a portion of the drum which is the happy part. The sad part someone else has to eat. I could go into the Chernobyl in depth but as a prerequisite we need to cover cartilage and ligament.

OP here... I grew up in Buffalo so I qualify as a subject matter expert. :)

"Boneless wings" are just chicken strips, chunks, or sludge (nuggets). Don't let the restaurants pull one on you. It's been out of necessity since wing prices crossed over (remember when they use to throw them away or use them for soup stock?).

The Pandemic has brought a rare positive consequence though:

Back to wings. Those who like a meatier cut can just stick to breasts, thighs, and legs. If one prefers them, great but they are NOT wings!
Even the most neophyte wing connoisseurs understand what makes a chicken wing great. It's not the meatiness! If it's the meat we're after, why would we be eating wings? It's the skin to meat ratio. That balance which allows the skin to be cooked to a crisp even after absorbing the sauce while the meat cooks to a safe but moist temperature. This is what makes the chicken wing is special. This is chicken wing 101.
For the intermediate class we need to review the codified taxonomy of the chicken wing parts. the simple version with 4 categories: The drum, the flat, the tip, and that happy/sad accident... the Chernobyl. The tip... well those get thrown away or frozen and shipped to countries that eat them. Unfortunately, some lazy chefs try to sneak the tip to you in the form of a whole, uncut wing. There's a special place in hell for those guys... especially those who do it for "presentation". You're supposed to have a beer in one hand hand when eating wings so how the hell are you supposed to handle those things with the other hand only? Anyway... most folks prefer the drum, but advanced chicken wing eaters prefer the flat. Better skin to meat ratio, and the meat between the 2 bones is the best eating. Some folks realize this right away and some, only after eating wings for 25+ years (those poor sods who race for the biggest drum in the basket without realizing that its the rookiest of the rookie moves). Also... if you can't wings without soiling only the tips of your thumb and pointer, than you need to train harder... it'll only take several hundred pounds of wings. 7 year olds do this routinely in the city of Buffalo.
Oh yeah... the Chernobyl... that's when an errant knife does not separate the wing at the joint, but through the bone somewhere leaving a drum with a portion of the flat or a flat with a portion of the drum which is the happy part. The sad part someone else has to eat. I could go into the Chernobyl in depth but as a prerequisite we need to cover cartilage and ligament.

Amen brother, Amen!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
BWW was a weekly thing with my friends and I when I was younger. I always got the boneless wings. Until now it never occurred to me that they weren't really wings. I never gave it a thought at all.

I prefer the bone in now and will take the flats.

There was a reason why they were ten cents- because a wing has about 3 cents worth of meat on it

Back in the day... before wings were widely known about/available (through the early 80s), when a bucket of 50 wings cost less than $10 in Buffalo ($0.20/wing), when it was the cheapest cut of chicken everywhere, it wasn't uncommon for bars to have 10 cent or even nickel wings get the drinking crowd in. They used to be the good stuff.

Now I don't mind a smaller wing. What I don't like are wings that haven't been processed well. Nothing like a big hair sticking out of a wing... very unappetizing.

Top Bottom