What's new

List of SE razors--plus commentary--wanted

I have been busy buying mostly DE razors since mid-summer, and learning how to use them properly (generally have the technique down pretty good, yet not perfect…). After acquiring a Gem Micromatic, however, along with a 200 pack of Pella SE coated blades, I really became intrigued with SE razors. I think they’re beautiful and can be amazingly great shavers.

I next bought a couple Gem Clog Pruf’s off the big auction site; those took my SE mania to a new level, as they shaved super great too. Then I bought a couple of 1912’s, and the bar was raised again!

So while I know there are lengthy reviews of vintage and modern razors elsewhere on this site, I was wondering if we might compile a list of SE razors, along with a brief commentary (1-2 lines) about how they shave in your opinion. This site is all about what we think, and I realize there is no definitive answer that THIS razor is the end all-be all.

Would like the razors you list to be fairly easy to acquire, not some 1898 custom version of which there are 8 in the known universe. I really am trying to see where to go next in the acquisition trail!

I’ll start.

Gem Micromatic (not open comb)—good shaver; a bit rough for my taste. All the Gem’s I have used have great audible feedback (if you don’t know what this means, get one and you’ll understand!).

Gem Clog Pruf—a version of the Micromatic, but somehow shaves much easier to me. Again, great audibles and a pretty nice shaver.

Gem 1912—better again than the Clog Pruf. Maybe it’s the angle, but it is an easy shaver. Not even any weepers on a 3-day beard. Great audible feedback.

So that’s my list so far. Give me some ideas, guys, as I want to look for other SE razors either within or outside the Gem family. Would like to hear some non-Gem’s for variety. Thanks.

Jim

Ps And special thanks to D.Irving79 for his excellent writing in this area.

Gem Micromatic Bullet Tip— mildest of the Micromatics. Less smooth than the 1912, but a great shaver. Has a true closed safety bar.

Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf— owned one, it bite me every time I used it. Has a modified safety bar, that is sort of cross between an open comb, and a closed safety bar.

Gem Micromatic Open Comb- Super aggressive. Doesn't get very good press, as it will tend to bite you if you are not careful, due to being so aggressive. Not recommended as a first Gem.

Gem 1912—Top quality shaver. Always super smooth. Start with a 1912, if you are looking to try a Gem.

Gem Featherweight- Lightweight razor, with a cream colored plastic handle. Smooth shave, close, and comfortable.

Gem G Bar - Similar in construction to the Featherweight, but with a plated chrome handle.

EverReady Jewel

Gem Contour

Gem Contour II

Gem Push Button

Gem/Star Lather Catcher

Gem Micromatic (not open comb)—good shaver; a bit rough for my taste. All the Gem’s I have used have great audible feedback (if you don’t know what this means, get one and you’ll understand!).

Gem Clog Pruf—a version of the Micromatic, but somehow shaves much easier to me. Again, great audibles and a pretty nice shaver.

Gem 1912—better again than the Clog Pruf. Maybe it’s the angle, but it is an easy shaver. Not even any weepers on a 3-day beard. Great audible feedback.

1907 gem jr. - lather catcher with short black wooden handle

1908 gem jr. - same head as the 1907 but on a 2 piece telescopic handle

1910 gem jr. - same head as the 1908 but much simpler head scrollwork and a simpler handle

1911 gem jr. - large robust head, amazing scrollwork, no junior bar, 2 piece telescopic handle.

1911 gem jr. elite - varied between 1908 and 1910 heads with a stunning celluloid/ivorite handle. edge of the junior bar is plated with gold.

1912 gem deluxe - the 1912 that started it all. a true open comb w/ the first model having a sturdy handle with stropping attachment inside. later models were more simple and as of now i know of 3 variations.

1912 gem jr. traveller - same as the 1911 elite but different case with extras.

1907 ever ready - lather catcher razor. looks like a 1907 gem, but with the head having ever ready styling.

1924 ever ready - great shaver. head opens from the rear.

and ANY superior razor.

...Are there any non-Gem/Ever Ready SE's that are worthy of acquiring? (i.e. good shavers and somewhat available?). Thanks again.

Jim

...Are there any non-Gem/Ever Ready SE's that are worthy of acquiring? (i.e. good shavers and somewhat available?). Thanks again.

Jim

There are a few razors branded as Star, that are similar/ identical to the Gems/EverReady's.

Also, depending on how one defines "Single Edge", the entire Injector line is worthwhile. I got a top quality shave this morning from my Eversharp Hydro-Magic. :tongue_sm

Last edited:
R

rainman

I tend to favor the Micromatics. Longer handled, weighty, TTO's, strange looks, all things that I like. I use all three types. The safety bar version being the first one I tried and is the mildest. I tend to favor the Clog Pruf which sits in the middle of the aggression scale of the MM's as mentioned and clogs less. Even less than the open comb. On the open comb there is a tendancy for the fine hair and cream to get caught under the blade. It can also cut your face up if you are careless. I use SE razors as head shavers now. The one I choose depends on how far I let the hair grow.

The only other Gem I tried is the Featherweight. It's mild and smooth. Equal to a Tech for a SE to DE comparison. No cuts but also not close enough.

There are a few razors branded as Star, that are similar/ identical to the Gems/EverReady's.

Also, depending on how one defines "Single Edge", the entire Injector line is worthwhile. I got a top quality shave this morning from my EverReady Hydromatic. :tongue_sm

Did you really mean "EverReady Hydromatic" or are you talking about the "Eversharp Hydromagic"? As injector razors go, the Hydromagic is my favorite of the various models that I've tried.

Of the regular "Gem style" single edge razors, my favorite is the Gem Junior Bar razor, 1900/1901 patent. I haven't be able to get a better shave from any razor than I get from these.

Regards,
Tom

Someone mentioned injector razors, which I DO consider part of my potential SE (future) inventory. I've read a lot about the Schick Injectors and seem to recall that the E version is one of the better ones.

Feedback on that? Or other injectors, recent or vintage, that might be part of one's future SE inventory...?

Thanks,
Jim

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I have tried an E, a G, and an Adjustable Schick M-2. I used one in the 60's as well. They are very manueverable, the Adjustable set on 7 is the winner in injectors for me ..

Last edited:
Did you really mean "EverReady Hydromatic" or are you talking about the "Eversharp Hydromagic"? As injector razors go, the Hydromagic is my favorite of the various models that I've tried.

Of the regular "Gem style" single edge razors, my favorite is the Gem Junior Bar razor, 1900/1901 patent. I haven't be able to get a better shave from any razor than I get from these.

Regards,
Tom

Sorry that was a mis-type. I did mean the "Eversharp Hydro-Magic". opps. :eek:

This thread is just in time. I am currently compiling information and list of Gems for the Wiki. It is a project I have been wanting to do for a long time.

Someone mentioned injector razors, which I DO consider part of my potential SE (future) inventory. I've read a lot about the Schick Injectors and seem to recall that the E version is one of the better ones.

Feedback on that? Or other injectors, recent or vintage, that might be part of one's future SE inventory...?

Thanks,
Jim

I have a G1 (that seems to work best for me) and a Hydro-Magic. I had a sleek brushed stainless steel Personna injector and a PAL adustable that matched it but somehow couldn't get the aggression level out of them that I craved, so I sold them. I don't believe that there's any head geometry difference between E series and G series injector razors.

- Chris

PS: The SE guys will probably chase us out of this thread pretty soon as they *don't* consider injectors to be SE.

Top Bottom