Fasan Double Slant
Gibbs, including the models that accept standard blades
Giesen & Frosthof Timor Gentle Shaver
Homelike Shaving Start
Homelike Shaving Taiga
Henson
Hone
iKon 102
iKon Deluxe open comb (as well as Standard safety bar Deluxe)
iKon OSS
Ikon Sbs head
Ikon X3
Christopher Bradley Karve Wide Cap model
Krect
Matador
Merkur Futur
Muhle R41
Phoenix Artisans Acoutrements Ascension
PAL
Paradigm
Parker 26C
Phillips Phillite
Probak
Qshave Futur clone
Razorock BBS
Razorock Gamechanger
Razorock Lupo (both versions)
Razorock Mamba
Razorock MJ-90
Razorock Wunderbar
Rex Ambassador,
Rockwell Model T
RS-10
Stahly Live Blade
Swing
The Bevel
Tradere razor
Wilkinson black delrin Classic Razor

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Pils cover the tabs too.
Its cover even designs side wings to cover the entire head.

IMG_20210120_101025.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have been looking at the Blackland line of razors and the new Blackland Tradere has a top cap that encloses the DE blade tabs.

Added the Pils to the list as well as a new one I've experienced, the PAA Meta-4. I picked it up because I am a fan of their Prismatic. Like the Prismatic, it's a very mild razor and should not be used for multiple days growth or very heavy beards. I didn't add the Blackland Tradere, as the original Tradere is already listed. As it is intended to be a continuation of that brand, I thought one entry sufficed, but I'll leave it up to consensus.

Apollo Mikron
Feather AS-D2
Above The Tie Windsor line
Baili
Barbasol
Charcoal Goods
Clix.
Cooper 3 piece
Cooper Monobilt
Dorco PL602
Executive Shaving Outlaw
Fasan Double Slant
Homelike Shaving Start
Homelike Shaving Taiga
Henson
Hone
iKon 102
iKon OSS
Ikon Sbs head
Ikon X3
Krect
Matador
Merkur Futur
Muhle R41
Phoenix Artisans Accoutrements Ascension
Phoenix Artisans Accoutrements Meta-4
PAL
Paradigm
Parker 26C
Phillips Phillite
Pils
Probak
Qshave Futur clone
Razorock BBS
Razorock Gamechanger
Razorock Mamba
Razorock MJ-90
Razorock Wunderbar
Rex Ambassador,
Rockwell Model T
RS-10
Stahly Live Blade
Swing
The Bevel
Tradere razor

You can add the Schaeffer to this list, or consider it listed with Barbasol. It’s a not-Barbasol non-floater, two piece.

proxy.php

Pearl flexi
Supply single edge
Blackland Dart
Blackland blackbird
Any Gem razor - they don't have any tabs to speak off really !

Added the Pils to the list as well as a new one I've experienced, the PAA Meta-4. I picked it up because I am a fan of their Prismatic. Like the Prismatic, it's a very mild razor and should not be used for multiple days growth or very heavy beards. I didn't add the Blackland Tradere, as the original Tradere is already listed. As it is intended to be a continuation of that brand, I thought one entry sufficed, but I'll leave it up to consensus.

Apollo Mikron
Feather AS-D2
Above The Tie Windsor line
Baili
Barbasol
Charcoal Goods
Clix.
Cooper 3 piece
Cooper Monobilt
Dorco PL602
Executive Shaving Outlaw
Fasan Double Slant
Homelike Shaving Start
Homelike Shaving Taiga
Henson
Hone
iKon 102
iKon OSS
Ikon Sbs head
Ikon X3
Krect
Matador
Merkur Futur
Muhle R41
Phoenix Artisans Accoutrements Ascension
Phoenix Artisans Accoutrements Meta-4
PAL
Paradigm
Parker 26C
Phillips Phillite
Pils
Probak
Qshave Futur clone
Razorock BBS
Razorock Gamechanger
Razorock Mamba
Razorock MJ-90
Razorock Wunderbar
Rex Ambassador,
Rockwell Model T
RS-10
Stahly Live Blade
Swing
The Bevel
Tradere razor

Thanks for the list.

I'll be sure not to buy any of them.

If there's one thing I dislike in a razor, it's covering the tabs.

I really hate buying a razor online and finding out it has concealed tabs. Often, there are other design mistakes, too. Covered tabs are often a sign of amateur hour engineering.

I really, really don't like picking up a razor to put a razor blade in or take a blade out, and have my fingers encounter a slick, rounded side, slip, and get sliced on the edge of the blade.

I really, really, really don't like having to push against the sharp edge of a razor blade when I am half awake to straighten out a crooked razor blade.

For some reason, newer razors are covering the tabs more and more, especially the Chinese stuff that advertises it as a "safe razor that won't cut you," and yet they are using abnormally small alignment pins that result in the blades almost always winding up crooked.

So you spend 5 or 10 seconds adjusting your blade, once in a while. I you assemble the razor correctly, horizontally, usually the blade will center naturally if the razor is properly designed. They've been building double edge razors like this for nearly 120 years now.

The tabs (which I hope you realize are unsharpened) were invented for a purpose: to allow you to straighten the blade, to allow you to adjust the blade exposure, to allow you to remove the blade without cutting yourself, and to allow you to have something to grab onto when tightening or loosening the handle for assembly or disassembly.

I'm serious. If you don't believe me, try assembling and adjusting a Merkur Futur clone while gripping the two rounded sides of the head that cover the tabs. Raise your hand if you've ever been cut. Raise your other hand if you use a towel to hold your Futur clone.

On razors like the Fatip, the tabs are part of the razor's design, allowing you to adjust the blade for symmetrical or asymmetrical blade extension, the extent of blade extension, as well as adjusting the position of the comb's teeth in relation to the blade. The looseness is not a bug, it's a feature! It makes the Fatip adjustable. This also applies to a lesser extent to the Gillette Old Type razors.

I like tabs because I like to be able to control my razor, and because I don't like getting cut by the blade.

I really, really don't care what a razor looks like. If I want to see art, I will go to MOMA. When I want a shave, I want a razor that is designed by people who know what they are doing, not creating a slickster that looks exciting on a webpage.

I really wish the razor manufacturers would stop listening to you whiners.

And I hope Fatip never changes.

Last edited:
I can understand the case of
F(i)atip that you have to manually
align the blade.Uncovered tabs
are useful then.

But regarding other modern ,
high precision (and REAL razors ),
leaving the tabs uncovered makes
the razor look like something is missing and it does pose injury risk ,
since long strokes and high speeds
can be achieved and often
utilised with todays blades
and modern designs of DE razors.

Fearing of slicing fingers because of
covered tabs is no different than fearing of slicing nostrils or ear lobs
with exposed tabs.No better ,no worse.

A wise man should choose accordingly.
Or at least to be aware of the YMMV
“law “ .

Fearing of slicing fingers because of
covered tabs is no different than fearing of slicing nostrils or ear lobs
with exposed tabs.No better ,no worse.

The risk of slicing of finger on a SHARPENED razor blade edge is quite different from the brushing contact of an ear lobe or nostril with an UNSHARPENED tab.

I have NEVER been CUT on a nostril, and I have a vague recollection of a nick on the ear lobe when I was a callow shaver some 60+ years ago (my entire ear is still there).

I HAVE been cut on the finger by a razor blade in modern razors with closed tabs such as the Futur clone. Just look at the comments on that razor and you will see endless complaints and warnings. Most of the time, you can handle a razor blade without any problem, but an accident can make quite a mess. Those edges are sharp!

The idea that you can make a razor with undersized alignment pins and concealed tabs, such as the Chinese are foisting on the unsuspecting public, is an insult to the intelligence. This is the work of engineering idiots who most likely never shave with their products. The blades flop all over the place when you assemble the three-piece razor and the ONLY way you can align the blade is by pushing on the blade edge. How is this safer???

If you want to conceal the tabs, then you have other choices: the New Type center alignment bar, or the four alignment tabs in the corners method that is commonly used by butterfly razors. Sometimes the blade may still need a little nudge to align just right, but no big deal.

However, I prefer a razor where I can customize the blade alignment, instead of being forced to use only a symmetrical blade positioning, for instance. You guys go on and on and on about adjustable razors that change the blade gap to gargantuan sizes, but the more important factor is blade exposure/extension. THAT adjustment you are not interested in because it does not involve a gimmicky razor with numbers on it.

The Fatip is a true adjustable because you can control the blade extension on either side, and also slide the base so the position of the teeth to the blade is also modified. And for this, people rant about Fatip's poor workmanship. Maybe they actually know what they are doing, just perhaps?

Have you ever cut your finger, ear lobe or nostril on a tab while shaving with a Fatip? Perhaps it is possible, though I have never had a problem. For those who are getting cut on open tabs because of sloppy shaving technique, yes, by all means, get a razor with concealed tabs. Better yet, use an electric razor on those mornings when you are not awake enough or sober enough to use a DE razor. But quit nagging manufacturers to ALWAYS hide their tabs because YOU can't control a DE razor. For the past 118 years, most people have not had that problem.

I'm sorry if I seem a bit harsh, but this is an issue that has been bugging me for years. I am really fed up with seeing this lobbying to get rid of open tabs. Have you ever considered that you might not know everything there is to know about designing razors?

Actually, I suppose it doesn't really matter in the end. If you succeed in getting the manufacturers to sell only razors with concealed tabs, it won't matter one whit to me. My razors are quite sturdy enough to last for the rest of my life, yes, even the zamak ones. And there is an ample supply of Old Type razors available on 3Bay; I have bought single rings in near perfect condition, one nearly 110 years old, for less than these exotic new razors.

We are living in the age of selfishness, where people only care about themselves. I am not normally selfish, but I suppose there is a time to let go, and let other people worry for themselves about themselves. And regarding tabs, it really doesn't matter because 99.9 percent of Americans use cartridge razors, anyhow.

Last edited:
Thanks for the list.

I'll be sure not to buy any of them.

If there's one thing I dislike in a razor, it's covering the tabs.

I really hate buying a razor online and finding out it has concealed tabs. Often, there are other design mistakes, too. Covered tabs are often a sign of amateur hour engineering.

I really, really don't like picking up a razor to put a razor blade in or take a blade out, and have my fingers encounter a slick, rounded side, slip, and get sliced on the edge of the blade.

I really, really, really don't like having to push against the sharp edge of a razor blade when I am half awake to straighten out a crooked razor blade.

For some reason, newer razors are covering the tabs more and more, especially the Chinese stuff that advertises it as a "safe razor that won't cut you," and yet they are using abnormally small alignment pins that result in the blades almost always winding up crooked.

So you spend 5 or 10 seconds adjusting your blade, once in a while. I you assemble the razor correctly, horizontally, usually the blade will center naturally if the razor is properly designed. They've been building double edge razors like this for nearly 120 years now.

The tabs (which I hope you realize are unsharpened) were invented for a purpose: to allow you to straighten the blade, to allow you to adjust the blade exposure, to allow you to remove the blade without cutting yourself, and to allow you to have something to grab onto when tightening or loosening the handle for assembly or disassembly.

I'm serious. If you don't believe me, try assembling and adjusting a Merkur Futur clone while gripping the two rounded sides of the head that cover the tabs. Raise your hand if you've ever been cut. Raise your other hand if you use a towel to hold your Futur clone.

On razors like the Fatip, the tabs are part of the razor's design, allowing you to adjust the blade for symmetrical or asymmetrical blade extension, the extent of blade extension, as well as adjusting the position of the comb's teeth in relation to the blade. The looseness is not a bug, it's a feature! It makes the Fatip adjustable. This also applies to a lesser extent to the Gillette Old Type razors.

I like tabs because I like to be able to control my razor, and because I don't like getting cut by the blade.

I really, really don't care what a razor looks like. If I want to see art, I will go to MOMA. When I want a shave, I want a razor that is designed by people who know what they are doing, not creating a slickster that looks exciting on a webpage.

I really wish the razor manufacturers would stop listening to you whiners.

And I hope Fatip never changes.
Some of the best engineered razors cover the tabs lol. Amateur hour?

Fayiz D.

Some of the best engineered razors cover the tabs lol. Amateur hour?

Fayiz D.

SOME.

And some of the WORST engineered razors have covered tabs.

I know. I've got some in the back of my drawer.

I never said ALL razors with covered tabs were inherently badly designed. But look at the ads for razors on Am-zn and 3Bay, the Chinese ones. Then look at what you get if you order one. They make the razor look pretty in the photo, but they are absolute junk for shaving. And some of them ain't cheap -- $30-$40 for razors that should cost $5, retail.

If you order direct from China, sooner or later you will get stuck with one of those clunkers. Get real: How many Yaqi razors with alignment pins have you received that also have concealed tabs? And this you call "best engineered razors" perhaps?

Why are they hiding the tabs? In part, because they see product reviews from people like those here complaining about the open tabs. That's all some of those Am-zn customers seem to know about razors.

It reminds me of the incessant complaints about $40 coffee grinders that don't grind fine enough for their espresso makers from newbies who don't know much about coffee. Who buys a $40 coffee grinder for a $1,000 espresso maker? The truth is you don't need an espresso maker to make great coffee. I've been there, done that. A $5 phin will work about as well, or a $30 AeroPress. I've been using a phin intermittently for years, and exclusively for the past several months. You can make far better coffee with one than you are likely to get from a coffee shop, if you understand coffee.

And guess what? You don't need a $200 razor and $20 shave soap to get a magnificent shave. A $20 Fatip can do the job just fine, along with some ViJohn shave cream, or even a can of Barbasol, if you understand shaving.

Last edited:
Top Bottom