What's new

List of buy with confidence brands from the bay?

R

Rsq

Of course it depends on the condition, but all things equal, which are the ones you look for, or see as having some high standard of quality across them? And lets keep it to brands you can routinely find for under, lets say, 35$
so far, I have found torrey to be the best
I had a bad experience with a dubl duck, but it was quite heavily honed, so it may have just got one that was past its prime
Otherwise, I have had a decent encounter with a Gem, but not amazing,
I also have an f herder, but Ive found it to be a bear to hone. I think its getting there though.
I have not used any others, besides dovo, but they dont meet my criteria. So to be extra safe, my list so far is:
Torrey

I would like to know your top 3-5 brands that you look for in the 35$ and under category. Please put how much the particular brand ahould run you. I have found Torreys, depending on condition, to be 15-35 incl shipping

In reality - any razor other than some pakistan one.

What you should truly look for is little to no hone wear, no chips or extremely tiny ones that are easily honed out. No excessive rust or pitting (especially important for a full hollow). Nothing near the edge. No frowns or other edge problems. Scales in good order. Keep to these things and no matter the name of the razor you will be in good shape.

There are probably other things to look at that I'm forgetting, but one thing is certain. Pay less attention to the brand of razor and more to the condition.

In reality - any razor other than some pakistan one.

What you should truly look for is little to no hone wear, no chips or extremely tiny ones that are easily honed out. No excessive rust or pitting (especially important for a full hollow). Nothing near the edge. No frowns or other edge problems. Scales in good order. Keep to these things and no matter the name of the razor you will be in good shape.

There are probably other things to look at that I'm forgetting, but one thing is certain. Pay less attention to the brand of razor and more to the condition.

This. Some of my best razors are random unheard of brands.

condition is the #1 concern if its not from pakistan. i have tried and owned alot of brands german, american english french & swedish. onced honed if condition is acceptable, they shave. my favorite is swedish though. tom

You'll probably want to stay away from the Chinese brands like gold dollar if you're starting out. They are good shavers from what I hear but can take a lot of work to get them in shave condition and if you're new that's probably to big of a step right now.

My experience agrees with Harvitz's experience. _Any_ vintage blade in good condition is likely to be a good shaver, once it's been honed.

Having said that, I'd be happy with a Genco / Geneva Cutlery, or a Boker, or a W&B, or a Geissen & Forsthoff, or a Henckels, or . . . .

Charles

Top Bottom