What's new

List all the exes and reason(s) of divorce.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Came back to see Helen...again.

helen.jpg

Feather AS-D2 - my first DE razor, great to start with - my best friend in the first year, then weirdly, I just couldn’t dial it in anymore;
Timeless Bronze - rough shaves, too heavy and bulky for my liking;
Wolfman 1.15 both SB and OC - I thought at the time it’s not efficient enough;
Karve B, C, D - great looking razor but the shaves never really appealed to me;
Gillette Tech, Slim Twist and a couple of other simple vintage models - not efficient enough;
Gillette Aristocrat Adjustable - gold is a pain to maintain and I didn’t find the courage to alter its condition (it was brand new, never used)
Executive Adjustable - same as above, I kept one though for the looks [emoji16]
Aristocrat 3rd generation - I prefer the 4th gen

2 Tatara Nodachi (OC and SB) are currently looking for a new owner - lovely razors but I prefer other tools in my den;
Same for a Thiers-Issard - tried it, came to the conclusion that SRs are not for me

I’m sure I’ll appreciate differently now some of the razors I sold, but I do not regret my choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
Seller's remorse big time - I thought the grass was greener...
BBS-1
Wolfman
Pils
ATT
Muhle Rocca
Seygus
Timeless 0.95
Timeless Bronze (good news - I married her sister 0.68 sb)
Blackland Dart
Blackland Blackbird (good news - I married her sister Vector)
Fatip
Rex
Asylum
Mergress
Ikon
Gillette Tech
Razorock Gamechanger (good news - I married her sister Hawk V3)
SLOC
Muhle R41

Last edited:
I’m in the middle of a possible reconciliation with the Merkur Futur. It’s the very first razor I used, and at the time, I could be thought of as a clumsy teenager while the Futur being Mrs Robinson with no patience. I was out of my league so I moved on.

fast forward about five years later, now I’m no longer the clumsy teen, or minute man, so I tried my luck with the Futur. Mrs Robinson was impressed, and I was getting much better results. I guess my technique really improved over those five years. Both of us were happy and quickly love began to blossom but there is something missing.

Mrs Robinson seems she needs to go to the gym. Her hips are too big and my nose gets in the way. I just can’t get good exposure under my nose. I tried spreading different ways, sideways, backwards, still can’t reach those tricky areas due to the bulky big thighs getting in the way.

so, now I’m on the prowl to find a Futur with a better body. No offense to Mrs Robinson. I’m getting great results but those thunder thighs keep getting in the way and I’m having to have to use a second razor to get under my nose. I’m a one woman guy, so I need to stop using two at the same time. I hope to find a Futur equivalent where I can get under the nose without the thunder things getting in the way.

I may have prematurely announced my separation from the Ikon Tek. I don't think it is love, but I do think I will keep her around for a fun time now and then. I tend to be a "one lady emotionally, but variety is the spice of life physically" philosophy, and the Tek falls in the latter category. She is also a cheap date.

Muhle R41. Too much razor, not enough beard.

Never did draw blood, but the drama of all that blade chatter took the pleasure out of the ritual. Shaving should be a time to relax, not gird for battle.

Also, come to think of it, a Hoffritz Slant from about 50 years ago. Damn handle split at the neck, so I tossed it. No great loss as I never did feel comfortable with it.

Weird. These memories keep coming back now that I think about it. A stainless steel PAL Injector, also from about 50 years ago. It just got lost in the midst of moves, marriages and divorces. Parker's new injector is a lookalike, and I may just give it a try.

Then, of course, there was some pure trash: a Gillette Techmatic from my college days. Not sure if that thing made it through my sophomore year.

There were a few electrics along the way, too: a Ronson, some Brauns, a Panasonic, a Grundig and a Wahl. The Ronson was the best of the bunch. All are now gone.

Had a few wives, too, but that's for another time and place.
The Muhle R41: Too much razor, not enough beard. Love the comment.

EJ DE89 Barley -- Too aggressive and caused irritation around the neck

Current
AS D2 -- A bit too mild, but seems better suited to my sensitive skin

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Haha, same here.
BTW, I found it. My son in law wanted a more mild shave. The AS-D2 is his now. I now mow my whiskers with an Above the Tie Windsor. It is every bit as comfortable as the AS-D2, gets the same great blade life with sharp blades, and nails BBS with three passes. I snagged a mild copper plate for it.

I have five quality razors and I’ve been wanting to get down to two razors and sell three of them and then maybe use the funds to buy another one but it’s so difficult to decide what to keep and sell.

Rockwell 6s
ATT R1
Weber PH
R41
Game changer .84 OC

Every time I think I’ve decided which to keep I shave with them one last time and then I’m not ready to sell.

The only razor i have divorced was my muhle r108...she cut me bad,had to teach her a lesson lol.naa the r108 wasn't aggressive enough and i got complacent and took a scallop out of the side of my head haha aww that sucked!!and also once the vintage gillette bug bit...there was no going back😎

I've been DE shaving for almost 12 years (currently 35 yo). I used to think that there was a physical reason to divorce all my old ones. In the past few years I've come to realize that most work just fine, it's more about how well they pair with their partner.

Currently I own a wide spectrum of razors. I have my preferences, but my preferences are biased base don my technique/skin type. My current favorite is my mixed metal Windsor. I can't think of a single razor that I couldn't get along with now, just a few I choose not to spent that much attention on.

I tend to keep things too long, so this post may have promoted me to post some others on BST. Ones that have moved on:

Merkur 37c Slant-started out good, but just couldn’t get a decent shave with it anymore.

FB Tech Thin Handle-handle was way too small.

FB Fat Handle Tech-was a backup

New Deluxe (15 or 17, can’t remember)-was too head heavy with light handle. Was also a tad bit too aggressive.

50’s Superspeed-couldn’t get a comfortable shave with it, even after service by CAP and multiple blades.

GEM Junior-may have been the blades, but no thanks. I really like injectors, but this was a no go.

ATT Kronos with S1, M1-was my first major razor purchase, but just didnt reach for it often after trying others. Was a little on the heavy side.

Aristocrat Gen3-was a backup, keep nicer one.

Aristocrat Gen 4-another backup.

PAA Slant-way too aggressive for me.

I have loved and lost a few in the last few years. As like most people we go for looks first, and then we find that looks are not everything. Here are my losses and reasons.

1. Merkur 34c - a bit too mild, poor blade alignment, handle a touch short.

2. Merkur 37c later version - Same reasons as 34c as was not much more aggressive. Also German37 is more aggressive and I could find a handle that suits me in SS.

3. Merkur futur - settings overly aggressive, blade shatter and bulky head.

4. Gillette fatboy - head bulky and found the slim shaved better.

6-8 Maggard slant, German 37 and FOCS - R41 Shaved closer than all these, and didn't have blade alignment issues.

9. R41GS - Was too aggressive and the handle was too long and slippery. It was my biggest disappointment to date, as it didn't shave anywhere as well as the standard R41 head.

10. R41 - The Game Changer JAWS 84 blew the R41 out of the water for me. The JAWS was smoother, closer and made out of stainless steel.

At the moment I seem to only use the GC JAWS & OC 84.
I do still own as slim and a DE89 but they very rarely get a look in.

I have sold a Gillette Fatboy, a Slim, a Rocket HD 500, an English Flare Tip Rocket, two English Goodwill, a US Red Tip, a few Super Speeds, a Velvet, a Myatt Daymark, a Gibbs adjustable, a few Leresche, plus a load more I have forgotten. The reason is always the same, I have enough razors and if I purchase and keep a razor then I have to sell one. I always sell the one I use, and like, the least. The other option is to become a collector and own razors that I rarely if ever use and that ultimately provide no satisfaction. Recent events have caused me to re-evaluate what is really important to me, and it is not owning more stuff.
Most of those razors are on my wish list!

Well I had one that liked to bite and more than likely would have killed me eventually and another that spent more time with other men than I.

All razors that I've brought home and cared for on the other hand have never once stirred me wrong.

I did eventually find the one, and it's been a fantastic 15 years thus far!

Timor 1354 (closed-comb) - Annoyingly heavy at 100g, it revealed to me right out of the gate that most DE razor introductory guides online might be wrong in speaking positively about the weight of metal safety razors. I absolutely hated how much it robbed me of control and required higher effort to keep it in the air against gravity. Also dislike how a bulkier and safer head hides the position of the actual cutting edge and makes it way harder to do precision goatee styling like I could with the plastic cartridge. I would never ever recommend such a heavy razor to a newcomer switching from 35g plastics like the Mach.

Hoping both aspects get fixed by a Tech clone with less weight and more blade side-tab exposure.

Top Bottom