What's new

Liquorice Scented Soaps and Creams

I have recently discovered that I adore Licorice scents in my shaving routine. Right now I only have two,
Extro Cosmesi: Liquirizia & Magnolia and Saponifiait Bignoli: Liquirizia e Menta.
I haven’t been able to track down any others (AS would also be nice) in my shaving suppliers (Canada) using Licorice as a keyword, but that does not mean there aren’t others out there hiding behind cutsie names such as “Aunt Beckies Knees”.
If anyone could give me any leads for licorice soaps, creams or aftershaves I would dearly appreciate it.

....in.

I'm addicted to the scent of Ballistol, but can't quite get myself to use it for aftershave. 😁

Maybe I can source some anise essential oil to add to some grapeseed?

ETA: it looks like there actually is anise essential oil... Add some grapeseed oil, vitamin E oil, maybe some black pepper essential oil....? I'm going to try this out.

+1. Proraso Blue definitely has that profile you're looking for and performance was great

Fully agree on performances, Proraso is always a safe harbour to me, and in Italy is very cost effective as well. However I have the Blue cream old version and the Blue balm new version, in the new version the scent is much lighter, especially in liquorice. I've read also other similar opinions on the fact the new version has a lighter scent.

That said, I suggest the Proraso as well, especially if you live in a place where it is easy and cost effective to get it.

Fully agree on performances, Proraso is always a safe harbour to me, and in Italy is very cost effective as well. However I have the Blue cream old version and the Blue balm new version, in the new version the scent is much lighter, especially in liquorice. I've read also other similar opinions on the fact the new version has a lighter scent.

That said, I suggest the Proraso as well, especially if you live in a place where it is easy and cost effective to get it.

I wasn't aware of a reformulation? Believe there was one back in like 2012 that people were up in arms about, but the most recent threads as of last year seemed to conclude that recently it was just a packaging change.

The anise scent was a little strong for my liking before, so IMHO if it was toned back a bit, it'd be better in my book (but worse in other's, I'm sure!)

I wasn't aware of a reformulation? Believe there was one back in like 2012 that people were up in arms about, but the most recent threads as of last year seemed to conclude that recently it was just a packaging change.

The anise scent was a little strong for my liking before, so IMHO if it was toned back a bit, it'd be better in my book (but worse in other's, I'm sure!)

I haven't all the new and old boxes, but from info found on Italian sites it seems that the White one had just minor changes, while the red had minor, but more significant changes:

Red "new" puck:
Aqua
Stearic acid
Cocos nucifera Oil
Potassium Hydroxide
Sodium Hydroxide
Glycerin
Butyrospermum parkii (Shea) Butter
Lactid Acid
Parfum (Fragrance)
Santalum album Oil
Magnesium Aluminum Silicate
Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate
Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate
Citronellol
Geraniol
Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone
Linalool
Coumarin

Red "old" puck:
Aqua,
Stearic Acid,
Cocos Nucifera Oil,
Potassium Hydroxide,
Glycerin,
Sodium Hydroxide,
Lactic Acid,
Parfum,
Butyrospermum parkii Butter,
Theobroma Cacao Seed Butter,
Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate,
Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate,
Tetrasodium EDTA,
Hydroxyethlcellulose,
citronellol,
Geraniol,
Limonene,
Linalool,
Coumarin,
Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate,
Santalum album Oil

More in general most agree that the scent of the new versions are lighter than the older ones (all colours!). I had the same impression comparing the old version of the cream and the new one of the balm. In any case I like the scent of the new balm! It deserves a try.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Wholly Kaw's Man From Mayfair is very basil/anise forward. It's not one note 'licorice', but worth a look. A great performer too.

Palmolive definitely has a light, anise forward scent. Stirling Obsidian is pure licorice and menthol. Love that one, but sadly my skin doesn't love menthol.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Focus Senateur has an notable and potent licorice/anise note, along with pino mugo and eucalyptus.
images.jpg

For some reason, Proraso Blue always smelled like Clean Soap+Licorice to me. Am I the only one?
It's Anise, Amber, and menthol According to trythatsoap.com , so yep, your going to get the licorice smell.

Also, Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations has an Anise soap in the original herbal recipe.

Finally, I swear I smell it on Fine Lavender Pour Homme, but alas it's just in my head (not in the scent list).

proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom