What's new

Liquid Glycerin

I am sorry if this has been done to death in the past but I can't find any information on it. Regarding liquid glycerin, what are the uses? Can you add some to your shaving brush (without ruining the brush) to help a drying soap/cream? Are there and uses from a shaving perspective?

Thanks,

Darren

Some have added a few drops to their shaving soap, more specifically Williams Shaving Soap, to increase the lubricity and help eliminate a more dryihng effect. I've never tried it. Others have also used it when melting soaps to make them more moisturizing.

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
Some have added a few drops to their shaving soap, more specifically Williams Shaving Soap, to increase the lubricity and help eliminate a more dryihng effect. I've never tried it. Others have also used it when melting soaps to make them more moisturizing.

Randy

I've used glycerin for this purpose, and for making a hair tonic.

stropmegently said:
I am sorry if this has been done to death in the past but I can't find any information on it. Regarding liquid glycerin, what are the uses? Can you add some to your shaving brush (without ruining the brush) to help a drying soap/cream? Are there and uses from a shaving perspective?

Thanks,

Darren
Hello Darren,
Glycerin is a constuent in some highly effective laxatives. If carefully nitrated it can be the source of other explosions also!

Leisureguy, I followed you link and cleaned my brushes the suggested way, with the Dawn etc and found that the cleansing was superior to the 2 in 1 shampoo I used a week earlier. I recently received my 2nd brush (UH OH, starting SBAD?????) the $35 C&E brush and cleaned it the same way. Got rid of the dead dog smell and it held much more water! Great method! Thanks!

Darren

The Van Der Hagen/Surrey shave soaps (cheap and available at Walgreens) melt very easily in the microwave. I cut two pucks into cubes, place in a ziplock 8oz tupperware container, zap in the microwave for about 15 seconds, then stir in 1 tsp of liquid glycerin. When it hardens, it makes a very good shaving soap. By far the most moisturizing of anything I've tried. A great thing to have during the drying winter months; great idea I got from Doug on SMF.

postscript: Don't try melting the high end stuff.

javyn said:
The Van Der Hagen/Surrey shave soaps (cheap and available at Walgreens) melt very easily in the microwave. I cut two pucks into cubes, place in a ziplock 8oz tupperware container, zap in the microwave for about 15 seconds, then stir in 1 tsp of liquid glycerin. When it hardens, it makes a very good shaving soap. By far the most moisturizing of anything I've tried. A great thing to have during the drying winter months; great idea I got from Doug on SMF.

postscript: Don't try melting the high end stuff.

That Is a great idea. Thanks for sharing it.

Have you ever tried melting down a Williams Mug Soap in this manner, and adding glycerin?

Stropmegently, glad it worked well for you. It is a good method---I'm going to buy my next brush from Em's Place to thank her. :001_smile

stropmegently said:
Leisureguy, I followed you link and cleaned my brushes the suggested way, with the Dawn etc and found that the cleansing was superior to the 2 in 1 shampoo I used a week earlier.
Darren

Leisureguy, is there some sort of a special ingredient in Dawn liquid or do you think I can use Joy Citrus liquid to clean my brush?

Yeah Joe, I don't think it would be a good idea with Williams, or with most other soaps. I think it is safest to melt down the clear vegetable soaps as opposed to the tallow based ones, like Williams.

I think that Dawn has a degreaser that might not be in Joy/Palmolive...I decided to just go out and buy a small bottle of Dawn just because I know it has been tested and I would rather not put my only badger brush up for experimentation...

By the way I just got back from going out and getting these ingredients. The Glycerin was very ahrd to find! I had to go to the Pharmacy next door to our hospital, Queen of the Valley, only to find that they had one bottle of 99.5% glycerin! Is that gonna work? I assumed so!

Now I just realized that we don't have white vinegar...

Now I regularly use 100% glycerine (and I think any high-percentage would work) as an every-pass pre-shave: rub 3-4 drops into my wet beard before lathering for each pass.

I found a bottle of this stuff at Whole Foods, and I'd bet health-food stores would have it as well. Whole Foods had the 16 oz bottle, so I got a little 4 oz bottle and filled that up and use it from there.

Michael, you are a saint :)

I am definitely going to experiment with using glycerin as a pre-shave addition. I have a good feeling about!

In other news, I really like the look of that glycerin much more than what I bought - but I am sure it will do just fine.

Top Bottom