What's new

Lipshaw Microtome Hone

timwcic

"Look what I found"
This is a strange hunk-o-rock. Once you get past is use history and the funky, “I never smelt this before”, medical aroma it has, it’s a nice stone. It’s a large 12x3x1 inches in a sturdy case. Under use, it feels it be a soft Ark on the hard feedback side. I did a specific gravity test resulting in a SG of 2.23. That in Washita territory. Being it’s a medical-laboratory grade, the stone is a high quality. Directions call for a water soak and honing medium. The little testing I have done, resulted if a keen, but toothy edge. Will lap and try water and oil to see what I can squeeze out of it.

Can’t find much info using my Google-fu. Lipshaw strops were high priced popular years ago but not much info on the hones. Where else would a USA medical supply co. source stones from. I have a 10” Microtome use Coticule, but obviously two different rocks. Any info would be appreciated

9966C052-4142-4D50-BDEA-542559016650.jpeg
67F89BE6-2690-4494-9F74-83FE6FCE3802.jpeg
8138FF97-E418-4A88-B386-C18945808C44.jpeg
4068C84B-0058-417A-8156-68A87BB6FA0A.jpeg
1821B647-C923-45F8-A5B2-44AAE15A35A3.jpeg
DE59EC54-5D66-4660-8F25-7B7877719C4D.jpeg
053FAF67-2B16-4899-969B-E7F8FF5C8959.jpeg

Seen these a time or two, always assumed synth. There's a black version made by carborundum as well. These ones may be a very fine sandstone by the looks of it?

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Thanks for the info. I would not think sandstone but could be. It’s more porous than granular, but could be very fine grain. Will still play with it but will not use oil. I’ll stick with water, glycerin or glycol

Doesn't look like Ark or Washita to me either. I think Ian may be right with the fine sandstone guess. How does it sound when you tap it? High pitch or lower? Lower would be a fairly good indication that sandstone might be on mark.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I've only seen ones on the bay and have always been interested in what they were. Is there a sandstone that will give a edge in the Coticule range? Saw marks say natural stone and the voids in the side too. To my color blind eyes, it does look like an non-layered Hindustan

Yeah, I've had an assumed sandstone or two that was ballpark 5-9k JIS in fineness. They always are like this one... you'd swear they were synths except for the sawmarks. Gotten them in toolkits a few times... usually 6x1.25" or 6x1.5" cut. Tricky little LG Thuri wannabe's when dirty in blurry pictures. I always considered them a hair too coarse to be finishers, but too fine to be tool hones. Very much like an extra-fine Hindo with no bands.

Tim, have you tried the 15min soak? Could be the stone grain doesn't cut much without it, that's why it feels non-granular.

I'm almost positive I've seen this exact same stone in a different era box and labeled as having US Origin. I think that one came with a rubbing stone, but same directions (soak before use, etc).

Last edited:

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Doesn't look like Ark or Washita to me either. I think Ian may be right with the fine sandstone guess. How does it sound when you tap it? High pitch or lower? Lower would be a fairly good indication that sandstone might be on mark.

I was expecting a dull thud but got a high pitch ring with a metal tap. Not like a good ark, but more like porcelain or china. If it did not have all the tells for being natural, I would think it was a synthetic

I've only seen ones on the bay and have always been interested in what they were. Is there a sandstone that will give a edge in the Coticule range? Saw marks say natural stone and the voids in the side too. To my color blind eyes, it does look like an non-layered Hindustan

I was also think a fine Hindustan. It has the same hand feel as some of the Hindo’s I have. All that is missing are the layers

Yeah, I've had an assumed sandstone or two that was ballpark 5-9k JIS in fineness. They always are like this one... you'd swear they were synths except for the sawmarks. Gotten them in toolkits a few times... usually 6x1.25" or 6x1.5" cut. Tricky little LG Thuri wannabe's when dirty in blurry pictures. I always considered them a hair too coarse to be finishers, but too fine to be tool hones. Very much like an extra-fine Hindo with no bands.

Tim, have you tried the 15min soak? Could be the stone grain doesn't cut much without it, that's why it feels non-granular.

I'm almost positive I've seen this exact same stone in a different era box and labeled as having US Origin. I think that one came with a rubbing stone, but same directions (soak before use, etc).

I have not gave it a soak, I have not done much at all. Just a quick splash of water with a heavy German kitchen knife to get a feel. I just got my first Charmwood and have been distracted by this new toy. I will play with it in time. It is too big of a hunk not to get to know it. But my first impression is as said above “a hair too coarse to be finishers, but too fine to be tool hones”

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I had one a while back. I thought that it was a Washita. That's how it felt and cut. Nice but it felt like redundancy to my Norton white washita so I moved it on down the road.

Top Bottom